The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I'm still not of age to drink legally in the US, but in the Philippines, the drinking age is 21 and so I've visited the bars and taverns as much as I can with either my cousins or on my own. Surprisingly enough, even with beer sooooooo cheap (about 35PHP which is roughly .80USD, back home they easily go for 4-5USD at the bar) and with cheap cocktails and hard drinks too, I haven't been blind drunk not once while I was here... save for maybe one time. Couple of cocktails, couple of beers, couple of cigarettes, and talk to the bartenders/ other customers then get my check and safely walk home.

--

On another note I have realized that the bar scene is a good way to meet people whether just for a conversation that night or someone you can be friends with. Just last night I went to this bar near my hotel alone and ordered a couple cocktails and this woman from across asked me to join her because I "looked lonely", after a few minutes of talking I realized that she was the owner of the establishment (bar, restaurant and hotel). She had a few acquaintances there as well and got to hold a conversation with them.

Alcohol is regarded by my friend to be "liquid confidence" and as a very shy guy myself, a few really good looking girls approached the bar and I was able to hold a conversation with them as well. Something I usually am not good at.

But in any case I drink, but I'm responsible. Once again, don't blame the alcohol. Just like the argument with firearms and pencils.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after working in a pub for 7-8 hours a day with no break, you bloody need a pint or 2.

I work in live music/clubs and I can totally agree with that, nothing like a pint (of strongbow in my case usually) after work, especially when it's free

I completely disagree with some bloke, azlan, and emma's friends.

I agree that work can get stressful and after all you want to do is relax. But, depending on alcohol into help you relax is not a good idea! I am not telling you you should stop or anything. That's not my place, and I don't understand where you are coming from. It just worries me that there are so many people out there who depend on some kind of alcohol after work to relax. Once in a while is one thing. But, so many people depend on it everyday!!! That's not okay!!! That is alcohol dependancy! No one should risk depending on alcohol like that, it could lead to worse things. That just my opinion as a girls who's uncle was completely dependent,

I see what your getting at, and even though I STRONGLY oppose the stuff.

I think its more the taste and feeling of a cold beer as much as relying on the actual alcohol in the drink. Weather or not you could get the same pleasure out of a bottle of Ginger Beer or something is another thing. But I think a lot of people do rely on the alcohol (like my mum) for satisfaction. Not necessarily getting drunk but the relaxation that alcohol gives you.

Ive got nothing against that but people could be drinking other drinks easily enough.

Just to try and explain why we have a pint rather than a soft drink (at least myself, and most the people I work with) is quite simple, if you have a pint of a soft drink (coke, diet coke, lemonade...) it tends to make you go a bit hyperactive, which isn't what you want at 4 in the morning when you just want to go to bed, whereas a pint is still cold (often actually colder than soft drinks) and extremely refreshing, but gives you a calm, relaxed feeling rather than being hyped up, and after the amount of water/soft drinks we get through during a night anyway (its a hot venue and we work long hours), more coke is the last thing you want

Thats fair enough bro. Like I said, Ive got nothing against it.

How much to you does something like Ginger Beer/Ale differ to a pint?

When I used to have the odd beer I found that they where pretty much the same level of refreshment but without the after taste of alcohol which I hate.

the place I work doesn't sell ginger beer, but I'm not a massive fan of it, its got too much of a burning sensation for my taste, and again, has a tendency to make you feel a bit hyperactive rather than chilled, I don't drink lager either, usually cider/perry or some ales.

Just to try and explain why we have a pint rather than a soft drink (at least myself, and most the people I work with) is quite simple, if you have a pint of a soft drink (coke, diet coke, lemonade...) it tends to make you go a bit hyperactive, which isn't what you want at 4 in the morning when you just want to go to bed, whereas a pint is still cold (often actually colder than soft drinks) and extremely refreshing, but gives you a calm, relaxed feeling rather than being hyped up, and after the amount of water/soft drinks we get through during a night anyway (its a hot venue and we work long hours), more coke is the last thing you want

I understand your point, I really do. Idk, it just doesn't seem like the best idea. If it were a once in a while thing I get it. But, you are relying on alcohol to relax you. Not just you either. Ther are so many people in this world who rely on alcohol after work every single day. I just don't think that being defendant on alcohol is a good idea.

Question: Do people need alcohol to have a good time?

Answer: No, No, No and No. If that was the case, I would never have a good time because I don't drink. I have my reasons for not drinking as well. My mother and my uncle both died from drinking it, and I've seen too many Marines get in trouble and even lose their military careers because of alcohol-related incidents. I just stay away from it, and trouble seems to stay away from me. And I still have a good time now and again.

Edited by Turbo

I completely disagree with some bloke, azlan, and emma's friends.

I agree that work can get stressful and after all you want to do is relax. But, depending on alcohol into help you relax is not a good idea! I am not telling you you should stop or anything. That's not my place, and I don't understand where you are coming from. It just worries me that there are so many people out there who depend on some kind of alcohol after work to relax. Once in a while is one thing. But, so many people depend on it everyday!!! That's not okay!!! That is alcohol dependancy! No one should risk depending on alcohol like that, it could lead to worse things. That just my opinion as a girls who's uncle was completely dependent,

It's not the alcohol they were talking about that helps you wind down. Think of it like this. After a long stressful day at work/school, a lot of people also like to enjoy a nice cup of tea or coffee to just wind down. It's just this case just happens to have alcohol in it. Plus a pint of beer isn't going to do anything to you, when it gets to maybe 7 or 8 then there may be a problem. I do the same thing as well, after a long day I take out a bottle from the fridge and just sip on it while watching some TV or something. One doesn't make you an alcoholic. Again, it's not the alcohol that they depend on to help relax.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Question: Do people need alcohol to have a good time?

Answer: No, No, No and No. If that was the case, I would never have a good time because I don't drink. I have my reasons for not drinking as well. My mother and my uncle both died from drinking it, and I've seen too many Marines get in trouble and even lose their military careers because of alcohol-related incidents. I just stay away from it, and trouble seems to stay away from me. And I still have a good time now and again.

I agree completely! I've actually been wondering about alcohol usage in the armed forces, because from what I've seen people in the army, navy, whatever, drink a LOT. And I don't know enough people in the armed forces to say that they drink more than regular people or people not on a tour of duty, but it does seem to be a big thing to party or whatever. My mom has had her issues with alcohol too, which is why I stay away from it as well. None of my friends care that I dont drink, except for one friend who likes to tease me sometimes. She actually made a bet with me that I wouldnt drink at all when we went to ireland and she withdrew her bet when it became clear that she wasn't going to win :P

It's not the alcohol they were talking about that helps you wind down. Think of it like this. After a long stressful day at work/school, a lot of people also like to enjoy a nice cup of tea or coffee to just wind down. It's just this case just happens to have alcohol in it. Plus a pint of beer isn't going to do anything to you, when it gets to maybe 7 or 8 then there may be a problem. I do the same thing as well, after a long day I take out a bottle from the fridge and just sip on it while watching some TV or something. One doesn't make you an alcoholic. Again, it's not the alcohol that they depend on to help relax.

I agree with you jeremy. There is a line between drinking responsibly and irresponsibly. Its important to be aware of yourself and the limits you (general you) can hold. Generally, I don't see a problem with grabbing a beer to wind down after work. Plenty of people do that and they have no problem at all. I did a topic in spanish on alcoholism and it was actually really interesting to find out the different levels of alcoholism...like alcohol dependence, addiction, etc. Its really important to learn how to drink responsibly and i think theres noooothing wrong with having a beer and chillaxing at the end of the day. but if the beer is used TO relax, then theres something to look at.

I agree completely! I've actually been wondering about alcohol usage in the armed forces, because from what I've seen people in the army, navy, whatever, drink a LOT. And I don't know enough people in the armed forces to say that they drink more than regular people or people not on a tour of duty, but it does seem to be a big thing to party or whatever. My mom has had her issues with alcohol too, which is why I stay away from it as well. None of my friends care that I dont drink, except for one friend who likes to tease me sometimes. She actually made a bet with me that I wouldnt drink at all when we went to ireland and she withdrew her bet when it became clear that she wasn't going to win :P

Military members do drink a LOT lol, especially Marines. 95% of Marines drink and the majority of them say that the reason they drink is because we were originated in a bar (which is true; the Marine Corps was originated at a bar in a place called Tun Tavern, PA in 1775.) Others say it is to get away from problems, that it's a way of life, etc. There are so many reasons why they drink. However, there are some strict Marine Corps orders that dictate where you can drink, who can drink, and who you can offer a drink to. Despite that fact, most Marines try to bend the rules, and the next thing they know, they're standing in front of a Lieutenant Colonel while he takes their rank, freedom and even money away from them. As for me, my philosophy is if I don't start doing it, I don't have a reason to quit, and I don't have a reason to get in trouble.

Edited by Turbo

Theres was another party at my complex. I was there for 5 mins, thats enough for me.

There is some people in my flat that have been drinking but still quite sober, I cant even go out there. I cant make myself.

I really do just have a pure hatred of the stuff

Can i say a word?

Taylor says that you may say some inappropriate words after drinking...

In Glee Season 2 Episode 14,Mr.Shue said that so much about drinking...

Alcohol is good for health if you drink ONE cup of beer or red wine,but too much is bad...

^Thats all fair and true.

But to me its something else, I see it as evil. I dont think I will ever not see it as that.

And as Ive said loads in the topic. I dont mind people drinking it but its at the stage now where I wont even hold your bottle for a few minutes if you ask me.

Like you said, it happens all over the world. Here in the Netherlands, many people as well are worried about the amount of alcohol some kids are able to drink.

I agree with Rose that moderation is the key. I, personally, drink a glass of wine every now and then (in the Netherlands, one is allowed to drink wine and stuff like that from the age of 16, and booze from the age of 18). I don't like beer, so I sometimes drink Jillz. But actually, I never drink booze). It's stupid how some people think you're not "cool" when you don't drink a lot of alcohol. I'm 19 and I've never been drunk, and I'm not ashamed of it.

Be careful what you do Jade

I was I just had some Jack Daniels, Vodka and Jagermeister. I won't be drinking for a while again though. I think for me now, it's just once in a blue moon. :)