The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Do people really need to drink alcohol to have a great time?

For the last few years (particularly) people have been getting so addicted to alcohol, especially teenagers and they can't go out for a night without getting completely drunk. You aren't really "cool" if you don't drink.

It's gotten very bad in New Zealand, on the news there have been some children, underage of course and also those of age, who have drunk so much that they die. Not to mention all the drink driving accidents.

It's quite sad actually. I'm 20 and I've only ever had about three glasses of it, and never completely finished a glass I don't think. Now I don't even go near it because it tastes horrible to me :P But what do you guys think about this? It's a serious problem, NZ has been thinking of raising the drinking age from 18 to 20 but it doesn't really make a difference seeing as so many kids have fake ID's and it's happening all over the world.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's the same problem in a lot of countries that teens die. In Germany there are more girls ending up in the hospital than guys. You can drink with 18, a few years ago you were allowed to drink beer, wine etc with 16. But raising the drinking age to 20 won't help at all imo. Alcohol per se in the right amount isn't bad, but alot of people can't handle it.

I stopped drinking 365 days ago (jan 1) and I don't miss it.

Congratulations on that. Actually sticking with a New Years resolution, that's new to me.

It is an extremely serious problem. When I was watching the New Years ceremonies in the US the other night they interviewed this one woman. I'd say she was about 18-19 years old. They asked her what was the most embarrassing New Years experience she ever had. She said that she got so drunk one night that she couldn't find her car keys (drunk driving), so she had to walk home. When she got there, she misplaced her house keys and fell asleep on the lawn. When she woke up, she realized it was her neighbors lawn.

I live near the [New] Jersey Shore (and no, I do not like Jersey Shore), and every summer teenagers come from all over to party and get drunk. During the day it's family orientated (at least the town tries to be), and at night everyone is heavily intoxicated. It's disgusting.

I'm 14, and I have NO plans of ever drinking (or smoking).

I know a few things about alcohol consumption, and what puzzles me most is how anyone who ever got SERIOUSLY drunk can do it again....considering all the unpleasant side-effects.

And I really don`t get the point of drinking until you drop. Literally. Where`s the fun in that?

They need to give teenagers a more detalied view of what actually happens to your body short term and long term during alcohol abuse - and they should be drastic about it. Maybe they will remember at the crucial moment and find some "excuse" to stop drinking on any given night....it would be a start, wouldn`t it?

Like what Padfoot said, drinking doesnt make you cool at all... to be honest i love to drink, i love it when my friends challenged me to a drink-up, it is dumb and stupid i know, but it is fun to me. I've been drinking probably over 4L of alcohol last holidays from xmas eve to the day before NYE, and trust me i feel bad about it, and on the xmas eve i got so wasted i'm thinking of stop the drinking, and its been going good, on the NYE i didnt even drink at all i had red bull and coke thats it lol... the thing about being drunk is you'd make your friends worried, and you missed out on the real fun of the party, thats what i realise over the NYE.

I'll try not to drink anymore, its not kool at all when you get drunk and cause problem to others especially your friends.

Personally, I drink a bit at parties and at events (1 glass only) but that's all. It's not my thing anyway and I don't care if people think I'm not cool because I don't get drunk. According to me, you don't have to drink at 15 normally.

Edited by Emm@

there is nothing wrong with drinking - they say one glass of wine a day is quite healthy and good for ur heart- BUT u have to know when to stop

like i hate guys who get so drunk that they cant even stand anymore, thats just gross

i also find drunk driving awful (and i unfortunately know of lots of people who do it).

IMO, having a beer or glass of wine or whatever every once in a while is completely fine.

Im actually thinking that people who drink loads have some problems with themselves, their self esteem or something

there is nothing wrong with drinking - they say one glass of wine a day is quite healthy and good for ur heart- BUT u have to know when to stop

like i hate guys who get so drunk that they cant even stand anymore, thats just gross

i also find drunk driving awful (and i unfortunately know of lots of people who do it).

IMO, having a beer or glass of wine or whatever every once in a while is completely fine.

Im actually thinking that people who drink loads have some problems with themselves, their self esteem or something

Exactly :yesyes:

Man I am so straight edge.

I just hate the stuff so much. I dont care if people drink it, but I hate how much they drink.

For example, people having a few beers after a hot and hard day or wine at dinner or what ever. Im ok with, it can actually be a positive thing.

BUT, going out and drinking a WHOLE BOX off booze just sickens me!

Ive seen people so drunk they cant sit down and fall face down off a chair. I went to one party and some one threw up all over the bathroom in the first 5mins!

And I hate the fact that they go out on the road and drive and kill other innocent people!

I cannot put in words my hatred toward the stuff.

The closest I get to beer is Ginger Beer or Ginger Ale.

P.S My family on both sides have a history of heavy drinking so Im kind of expected to drink.

Personally, I like a drink, but like others have said, not too much.

I like a couple of drinks in the evening, or at the weekend, it helps me to chill while I am not at work.

People who get caught drinking and driving should be banned for life, imo.

Drinking is ok, as long as you can control it.

Well I know alcohol is a great problem, I lived without it until recently (used to be very anti) when I found that drinking a bit (there are different stages of drunk...) with your friends is really fun, you let loose on a different level and I could never go out and dance without alcohol :mellow: I'm 20 btw.

But I am aware alcohol is mis-used and to drink and drive is a terrible crime! And I don't believe in getting so drunk you can't walk straight. Even throwing up is a sign you've gone waaaaay too far. As long as people drink responsibly everything's fine (I'm staying positive).

Edited by Mrs Duck

Sad to say I used to be one of those teenagers. Alcohol led me to other things though, I ended up in hospital with an 80% chance of dying. In no way is alcohol good no matter how many of the alcoholics out there say it's brilliant. I don't think I've drank an alcoholic beverage since I come out of hospital about 6 months ago. (:

I'm surprised to see how anti alcohol everyone here is. If one is responsible, it is perfectly fine. Only drink what you can handle. When I'm out I'll drink quite a lot, but not so much that I start falling over etc. If you drink responsibly, you can enjoy yourselves a lot.

I don't think raising the drinking age is necessary. There are 15 year olds that are sensible enough to drink, and likewise there are 22 year olds who aren't. You'll always get some idiots.

Idiots or not I don't think alcohol should be out there. I'm not 100% Anti drinking. I can handle my drink. I'm quiet a heavy drinker I just side against it. If your sitting there laughing saying I can't handle my drink from my last post, like I said I was on other stuff at the time. Handle your drink it not, it's no necessary.

I find nothing wrong with drinking, if its done in moderation. moderation really is the key. to be honest december was a bad drinking month for me with all the holdidays and partys

Edited by Rose

Alcohol is a thing that splits generations. And generations of Humans has drunken it.

In my opinion it´s not bad. I don´t drink often, but sometimes.

Only this mass of people, young people who drink so many, i don´t really understand. Most fun i have is when i´m sane. Not because i hate alcohol, because i fell everything an can remember it better. At parties or some events a little bit of alcohol is ok, but do someone really want to creep home because he has drunken that much?

One time i had drunken too much and the end was not that happy that i want to do it again in my live.

Maybe I should make this clear: I`m not saying "Don`t drink alcohol. Ever."

That would be rather funny, given what I consume and in what intervals. But you should know how NOT to endanger others - and if you manage to not endanger your own dignity in ways we all know, that`s also good.

Btw, when I was 14/15, I never thought I would smoke or drink alcohol other than on NYE....a lot of things change in 3 years....6 years.....10 years......:mellow:...you`ll see.

Btw, when I was 14/15, I never thought I would smoke or drink alcohol other than on NYE....a lot of things change in 3 years....6 years.....10 years......:mellow:...you`ll see.

My father and mother never smoked or drank, so I learned that it is "wrong" to do so at a young age. I know what you mean, but I simply don't see it happening.

To stay on topic, these kids (I guess children would be more appropriate) always talk about there father's liquor cabinet, and their "feelings" after getting drunk, and there next time they're going to get high. This is in my elective (that the school chose for me because the one I wanted was full).

Get drunk is really a big problem all over the world not only in europe or US!

According to me i dont find it kool cuz seriously the person who get drunk he/she is killing her/his self without noticing that

cuz it's not healthy at all,all the doctors say that plus it's cause some killing disease!

and for me i dont think the Drunk people deserve any respect cuz they choose to make fun of their self at nights and actually they are sick people i guess cuz they try to create their own world by drinking and forget everything (they think it's help) :mellow:

I'm 19 years old and have never had a sip of alcohol. MAYBE I'll have a glass of champagne or something on my 21st birthday. But seriously, I don't plan on having more than that. After I hit 21, it'll only be on very special occasions and in extreme moderation.

I just don't think it's worth it.

Alcohol brings so much bad to the world. All the mistakes, the punishment if you're underage and get caught, the humiliation, the vomiting, the drunk driving and ahem KILLING PEOPLE. Just not worth it AT ALL.

I'm around alcohol constantly. I still party. I go out or stay in with friends who are drinking, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it's been for me to continue to say "no" even in college. And people really respect that.

I don't mind being around people who are drinking. I really enjoy it, actually, as long as my friends aren't becoming a burden out of drunkenness. And as long as people think of something to talk about other than alcohol. Then it's just annoying. =P

I constantly get the question, "Not trying to be disrespectful, but just out of curiosity, why don't you drink?" And I explain to them my control issues-- I feel a need to be complete control of what I'm doing at all times. If I'm acting like a fool, alright, chill, I'll do that-- but it better be MY decision and not just because I'm in some altered state of mind thanks to some foreign substance. And then, as I said earlier, I just don't think it's worth it.

Then they'll be shocked that I've never had even a sip and try to get me to just try it, and I explain how proud I am to be able to say that I've never had eeeeven a sip, and usually they understand.

But I am around it constantly. Alcohol, weed, and cigarettes. Almost all of my friends do at least 2/3 of them on a regular basis. And they respect that I choose not to.

Congrats! I'm really proud of you for that!

I know a few things about alcohol consumption, and what puzzles me most is how anyone who ever got SERIOUSLY drunk can do it again....considering all the unpleasant side-effects.

And I really don`t get the point of drinking until you drop. Literally. Where`s the fun in that?

I feel the same way. I've got far too many friends who have gotten blackout and vomit drunk who still enjoy doing it, and I don't understand. My best friend's motto these days is actually "Blackout or back out." What the hell kind of a motto is that?

Apparently it's really "fun" to wake up and have to figure out what the hell happened last night. -.-' I wouldn't have fun with that. I enjoy actual memories.

Well I know alcohol is a great problem, I lived without it until recently (used to be very anti) when I found that drinking a bit (there are different stages of drunk...) with your friends is really fun, you let loose on a different level and I could never go out and dance without alcohol :mellow: I'm 20 btw.

Yeah, I have full respect for anyone who has a drink or two just to loosen up and have fun with friends. Personally, I don't feel like I need that. I go out and dance like a complete fool without alcohol, so I feel no need to throw it in the mix. XP

Sad to say I used to be one of those teenagers. Alcohol led me to other things though, I ended up in hospital with an 80% chance of dying. In no way is alcohol good no matter how many of the alcoholics out there say it's brilliant. I don't think I've drank an alcoholic beverage since I come out of hospital about 6 months ago. (:

Congrats on staying sober, lovebird! =D I'm sorry you had to go through that. Must've been pure hell. =[