The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I find no problem with drinking.... what I do have a problem with is drinking to get drunk. Have a glass of wine at night.... don't go shot for shot with you friends.

I am 19 and proud to say I have never been drunk!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I do drink, and I have had more than I normally do during this Christmas/New Year break. Once the holiday is over though, I will most probably only have a few drinks at the weekend.

I must admit, I do admire those of you who don't drink at all, or who only drink on special days, like Weddings and Birthdays. Not only are you looking after your health, but you are saving your money for other things.

im amazed at how many people here dont drink.

i would never say no to going for a pint at the pub, and i do drink a lot at parties. but i enjoy being drunk.. i always seem to have more fun.

I'm amazed as well. This forum def seems to be in the minority. I wonder why that is? The majority of people who are potter fans? Emma fans? Internet forum-goers? Hmm.

I don't drink either. I had a sip of champagne once, at my cousin's wedding but that's about it. My mom's an alcoholic so I've seen the negative consequences of that and so I've never really had an attitude for it. My dad, whom I've never met, is also an alcoholic so I know I have the genetics for it and I want to avoid it so I can be a good mother and parent later in my future. I don't really feel pressure to drink. All of the girls on my rugby team do and I don't go to the parties so it's a little hard for me to fit in with them there, but I don't mind too much.

I don't drink either. I had a sip of champagne once, at my cousin's wedding but that's about it. My mom's an alcoholic so I've seen the negative consequences of that and so I've never really had an attitude for it. My dad, whom I've never met, is also an alcoholic so I know I have the genetics for it and I want to avoid it so I can be a good mother and parent later in my future. I don't really feel pressure to drink. All of the girls on my rugby team do and I don't go to the parties so it's a little hard for me to fit in with them there, but I don't mind too much.

Good for you! Most people who go through "that" copy their parents when they get older. You have the right mindset :yesyes:

Edited by ckravitz

Congratulations on that. Actually sticking with a New Years resolution, that's new to me.

haha, I promised it to someone actually, someone I care about a lot. Not that I was a heavy drinker in my life (20 now) but still.

there is nothing wrong with drinking - they say one glass of wine a day is quite healthy and good for ur heart- BUT u have to know when to stop

[...]

IMO, having a beer or glass of wine or whatever every once in a while is completely fine.

[...]

I completely agree.

Get drunk is really a big problem all over the world not only in europe or US!

According to me i dont find it kool cuz seriously the person who get drunk he/she is killing her/his self without noticing that

cuz it's not healthy at all,all the doctors say that plus it's cause some killing disease!

and for me i dont think the Drunk people deserve any respect cuz they choose to make fun of their self at nights and actually they are sick people i guess cuz they try to create their own world by drinking and forget everything (they think it's help) :mellow:

No, actually a glas of red wine everyday (like said above) is healthy. You just have to know your limits (also said above).

[...]

I constantly get the question, "Not trying to be disrespectful, but just out of curiosity, why don't you drink?" And I explain to them my control issues-- I feel a need to be complete control of what I'm doing at all times. If I'm acting like a fool, alright, chill, I'll do that-- but it better be MY decision and not just because I'm in some altered state of mind thanks to some foreign substance. And then, as I said earlier, I just don't think it's worth it.

[...]

haha I get the same question as well. And some think my reason is stupid (the promise). And good for you by the way. :D

Congrats! I'm really proud of you for that!

^_^

The main reason why I stopped is because of the promise I made, and because of the party before new years (2009/10) when I couldn't remember what happened the next day. I never drank that much before, and I didn't drink so much that night tbh. I just screwed up.

Edited by W.V.B

@ Jade: I remember reading that on the old forum. Great to hear that you've not still in that situation.

Ive had a girl asking me why I dont drink and telling me why its cool to drink. She said that it made it fun because it made stuff not funny, funny. Like a door knob.

Why would I want to laugh at a door knob?

And the stuff is so expensive! 3 times the price than what you would pay for the same quantity of coke or juice!

@ yorkshire Im not anti drinking, Im anti drinking in excess. I have no problem with drinking in moderation like I said in my previous post.

Mainly I hate that it alters the way your judge and function. I hate not having full control over my body and mind.

Anything mind altering for me is a no no.

@ Jade: I remember reading that on the old forum. Great to hear that you've not still in that situation.

Ive had a girl asking me why I dont drink and telling me why its cool to drink. She said that it made it fun because it made stuff not funny, funny. Like a door knob.

Why would I want to laugh at a door knob?

And the stuff is so expensive! 3 times the price than what you would pay for the same quantity of coke or juice!

@ yorkshire Im not anti drinking, Im anti drinking in excess. I have no problem with drinking in moderation like I said in my previous post.

Mainly I hate that it alters the way your judge and function. I hate not having full control over my body and mind.

Anything mind altering for me is a no no.

To the bold: yes, exactly, same here.

hahaaaa I don't need alcohol to think a doorknob is funny is the thing. :P Or any substance for that matter. I can act as silly and outgoing as I want. >.< But I want the ability to judge intelligently whether or not it's a good idea to do so!!

Also, I don't do anything that I'm not willing to take responsibility for. And I do NOT want to take responsibility for either drinking underage or the stupid stuff I might do out of a drunken lapse in judgement.

Edited by emwatsonsuperfan

hahaaaa I don't need alcohol to think a doorknob is funny is the thing. :P Or any substance for that matter. I can act as silly and outgoing as I want. >.< But I want the ability to judge intelligently whether or not it's a good idea to do so!!

If in the right mood I will do some pretty unusual stuff. Ive even danced (and enjoyed it) to all the mainstream dancing music*

Its all what frame of mind your/Im in.

*I HATE that crap.

If in the right mood I will do some pretty unusual stuff. Ive even danced (and enjoyed it) to all the mainstream dancing music*

Its all what frame of mind your/Im in.

*I HATE that crap.

Yeah, and you can be in pretty much any frame of mind you want to be in, you don't need alcohol to let loose. I find it a better idea to let loose but still have the option to reel it back in if it becomes necessary.

Congrats on staying sober, lovebird! =D I'm sorry you had to go through that. Must've been pure hell. =[

Thank you and yeah it was. I don't talk about it much. The memories of what happened hurt to much.

Binge drinking is a problem and a teenagers drinking is a problem, more definitely needs to be done.

I enjoy a few drinks myself but I never get drunk (I did once when I was 17 - but that was 10 years ago now). I know how to control myself and I don't drink just for the sake of drinking, I like the taste as well, I even attend a few beer festivals. I usually drink lager or cider but I also like spirits and cream liqueurs. I also enjoy tasting local drinks when I am in other countries.

Although I enjoy a few drinks, I don't need to drink to have a good time and have been out plenty of times and enjoyed myself without drinking.

I know people who go out with the sole intention of getting drunk and I don't see the point of it at all, the risk you put to yourselves and others, and also the way you feel the following day... It just isn't worth it to me.

I'm with Dazza on this, minus the lager and cider.

In fact as I type I've got a pint of Victory Ale next to me, well....half a pint now, but I drink alot, but not enough to lose control. I love the taste of a good beer and know my limits.

I do like the occasional beer when I'm hanging out with friends or we're in a pub, or the occasional few or liquor on a party. But then again, the drinking age where I live is 16, except for liquor, for which it is 18. It's all about moderation, people.

Alcoholism has become quite a problem. I had a complete anti-stance against it while I was growing up, particularly because I was directly affected by it and saw the effects of what it can do to a person and how it can bring that person down and strip that person not only of their dignity and pride, but also of the normality of life.

I judged people negatively for drinking until they dropped. I attended a university where there would be freshman dorm parties from Thursday night until Saturday night. I lived across from a group of girls who did nothing but party after their work was finished. One night, I was sitting up late trying to get through my Classics assignment and I heard a girl come out of the room from across the corridor and she entered the bathroom and cried. She was so drunk that an older girl student and a guy student walked into the girls' lavatory and put her into a shower stall to douse her with cold water in order to keep her alert.

When nothing worked, they called the paramedics in.

It is a scary thing, to be that drunk. Luckily I have never gotten that way, and I never will intend to do so.

For me, it was not realistic to say I would never touch a glass of alcohol (like I had always said when I was 15 or 16). If I go out now, I will drink only if I trust the person I go out with (who is preferrably older than I am) and only if I feel secure about where I am. I do not touch hard liquor, but I will have a couple of glasses of wine not because it's "cool" for me to do so but because I enjoy it and I like the taste.

If you are responsible with yourself, you trust yourself, and you remain fully cognizant while you drink I do not see anything wrong with that.

I had a tough time understanding alcoholics, for a long time. I took a class on it and it really got me thinking. Sometimes, it makes me feel sorry for them. I want to reach out a hand and tell them something and try to help them sometimes.

-sigh-

:/

Im not a big drinker, i used to be when i was young and foolish lol Drinking until i threw up = being very stupid.

I enjoy one every now and then, and special occasions like when we go restaurants and im not driving lol.

Prohibition doesn't work anywhere but America. Try prohibition in Britain and you'd have 10 seconds of non-drinking, followed by 10 days

Actually, prohibition didn't work in America. They tried it in the 20's but it was a massive failure and a huge black market for alcohol came into being, thus making the it legal again. It seems that alcohol consumption is just about the same everywhere, with Russia having a bit higher and Islamic countries having lower. In America, there is a higher rate of alcoholism and consumption on American Indian Reservations, which I find is really sad and disheartening.

Actually, prohibition didn't work in America. They tried it in the 20's but it was a massive failure and a huge black market for alcohol came into being, thus making the it legal again. It seems that alcohol consumption is just about the same everywhere, with Russia having a bit higher and Islamic countries having lower. In America, there is a higher rate of alcoholism and consumption on American Indian Reservations, which I find is really sad and disheartening.

I don't think any prohibition works. Same with marijuana. But prohibitions make a lot of money for certain people.

Yeah, the alcohol totally desroyed what was left of the Native Americans, fast food and alcohol. First they got kicked out of their own country, killed and put into reservations. Then the alcohol and later the fast food.

I don't think any prohibition works. Same with marijuana. But prohibitions make a lot of money for certain people.

Yeah, the alcohol totally desroyed what was left of the Native Americans, fast food and alcohol. First they got kicked out of their own country, killed and put into reservations. Then the alcohol and later the fast food.

Fast food, I haven't really heard of, that's interesting. I didn't put it together before but now that I think about it there is a very high rate of diabetes and heart disease on the reservations. Gah, so much wrong with that statement. Also, there is a very high domestic abuse and suicide rate on the reservations, due to the alcohol abuse. This makes me so sad because I really, really like Native American culture and it sickens me to see a beautiful people diminished.

Fast food, I haven't really heard of, that's interesting. I didn't put it together before but now that I think about it there is a very high rate of diabetes and heart disease on the reservations. Gah, so much wrong with that statement. Also, there is a very high domestic abuse and suicide rate on the reservations, due to the alcohol abuse. This makes me so sad because I really, really like Native American culture and it sickens me to see a beautiful people diminished.

Yep, a lot Natives that I've seen are really overweight. Not just a bit, but big time. And it's all because of the fast food, poor nutrition, abuse of alcohol.

I knew a native woman once, she was crazy but cool. But she had a serious alcohol problem and was depressed. She hung her self last year in a barn.

Yep, a lot Natives that I've seen are really overweight. Not just a bit, but big time. And it's all because of the fast food, poor nutrition, abuse of alcohol.

I knew a native woman once, she was crazy but cool. But she had a serious alcohol problem and was depressed. She hung her self last year in a barn.

Wow, that's really sad!! I'd like to maybe work on a reservation someday, but I'd think it would be really depressing :/

• 2 months later...

At apartment complex where I live had a party out in the car park, my room mates were there so I thought it would be nice and polite to go hang out and say hello as you do. A full wine bottle got thrown at the ground four feet in front of me, I was wearing shorts so my legs got covered in wine and glass.

Im gone. My face.

People wonder why I hate drinking...