123 replies to this topic

#41 Majestic122

Majestic122

Novice Member

• Fire
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

I do like the occasional beer when I'm hanging out with friends or we're in a pub, or the occasional few or liquor on a party. But then again, the drinking age where I live is 16, except for liquor, for which it is 18. It's all about moderation, people.

#42 Kim.

Kim.

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Mood::Fearless.
  • LocationCamping out in a positive frame of mind.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

Alcoholism has become quite a problem. I had a complete anti-stance against it while I was growing up, particularly because I was directly affected by it and saw the effects of what it can do to a person and how it can bring that person down and strip that person not only of their dignity and pride, but also of the normality of life.
I judged people negatively for drinking until they dropped. I attended a university where there would be freshman dorm parties from Thursday night until Saturday night. I lived across from a group of girls who did nothing but party after their work was finished. One night, I was sitting up late trying to get through my Classics assignment and I heard a girl come out of the room from across the corridor and she entered the bathroom and cried. She was so drunk that an older girl student and a guy student walked into the girls' lavatory and put her into a shower stall to douse her with cold water in order to keep her alert.
When nothing worked, they called the paramedics in.
It is a scary thing, to be that drunk. Luckily I have never gotten that way, and I never will intend to do so.
For me, it was not realistic to say I would never touch a glass of alcohol (like I had always said when I was 15 or 16). If I go out now, I will drink only if I trust the person I go out with (who is preferrably older than I am) and only if I feel secure about where I am. I do not touch hard liquor, but I will have a couple of glasses of wine not because it's "cool" for me to do so but because I enjoy it and I like the taste.
If you are responsible with yourself, you trust yourself, and you remain fully cognizant while you drink I do not see anything wrong with that.
I had a tough time understanding alcoholics, for a long time. I took a class on it and it really got me thinking. Sometimes, it makes me feel sorry for them. I want to reach out a hand and tell them something and try to help them sometimes.
-sigh-
:/
Posted Image

A BIG thanks to the beautiful BoMa, my big sister <3. I know I haven't been around much to talk, but you're more than amazing and I'm so happy to receive this graphic as a gift. Thanks for being so kind-hearted. ;)

Quotes Which Resonate with Me:
"There is no success without determination" -K.S., #24. RIP <3, 2009.
"I don't need any of you to approve of my decisions, I need ya'll to respect them" -Sandra Bullock in 'The Blind Side'.
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstance. The people who get on in the world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." -George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright.

#43 SomeBloke

SomeBloke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

Prohibition doesn't work anywhere but America. Try prohibition in Britain and you'd have 10 seconds of non-drinking, followed by 10 days

#44 Imagine

Imagine

Devoted Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationCheshire, England

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Im not a big drinker, i used to be when i was young and foolish lol Drinking until i threw up = being very stupid.

I enjoy one every now and then, and special occasions like when we go restaurants and im not driving lol.

Posted Image

#45 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Mood::Tired..what else is new =P
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

Prohibition doesn't work anywhere but America. Try prohibition in Britain and you'd have 10 seconds of non-drinking, followed by 10 days

Actually, prohibition didn't work in America. They tried it in the 20's but it was a massive failure and a huge black market for alcohol came into being, thus making the it legal again. It seems that alcohol consumption is just about the same everywhere, with Russia having a bit higher and Islamic countries having lower. In America, there is a higher rate of alcoholism and consumption on American Indian Reservations, which I find is really sad and disheartening.
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#46 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Mood::meh
  • LocationThe Pale Blue Dot

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Actually, prohibition didn't work in America. They tried it in the 20's but it was a massive failure and a huge black market for alcohol came into being, thus making the it legal again. It seems that alcohol consumption is just about the same everywhere, with Russia having a bit higher and Islamic countries having lower. In America, there is a higher rate of alcoholism and consumption on American Indian Reservations, which I find is really sad and disheartening.

I don't think any prohibition works. Same with marijuana. But prohibitions make a lot of money for certain people.

Yeah, the alcohol totally desroyed what was left of the Native Americans, fast food and alcohol. First they got kicked out of their own country, killed and put into reservations. Then the alcohol and later the fast food.

Yin-Yang_klein.gif I'm Yang, Dina is Yin

Aunt: Arie

#47 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

I don't think any prohibition works. Same with marijuana. But prohibitions make a lot of money for certain people.

Yeah, the alcohol totally desroyed what was left of the Native Americans, fast food and alcohol. First they got kicked out of their own country, killed and put into reservations. Then the alcohol and later the fast food.

Fast food, I haven't really heard of, that's interesting. I didn't put it together before but now that I think about it there is a very high rate of diabetes and heart disease on the reservations. Gah, so much wrong with that statement. Also, there is a very high domestic abuse and suicide rate on the reservations, due to the alcohol abuse. This makes me so sad because I really, really like Native American culture and it sickens me to see a beautiful people diminished.
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#48 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Mood::meh
  • LocationThe Pale Blue Dot

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

Fast food, I haven't really heard of, that's interesting. I didn't put it together before but now that I think about it there is a very high rate of diabetes and heart disease on the reservations. Gah, so much wrong with that statement. Also, there is a very high domestic abuse and suicide rate on the reservations, due to the alcohol abuse. This makes me so sad because I really, really like Native American culture and it sickens me to see a beautiful people diminished.

Yep, a lot Natives that I've seen are really overweight. Not just a bit, but big time. And it's all because of the fast food, poor nutrition, abuse of alcohol.

I knew a native woman once, she was crazy but cool. But she had a serious alcohol problem and was depressed. She hung her self last year in a barn.

Yin-Yang_klein.gif I'm Yang, Dina is Yin

Aunt: Arie

#49 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

Yep, a lot Natives that I've seen are really overweight. Not just a bit, but big time. And it's all because of the fast food, poor nutrition, abuse of alcohol.

I knew a native woman once, she was crazy but cool. But she had a serious alcohol problem and was depressed. She hung her self last year in a barn.

Wow, that's really sad!! I'd like to maybe work on a reservation someday, but I'd think it would be really depressing :/
Posted Image
Ninja Crew! <3

#50 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

At apartment complex where I live had a party out in the car park, my room mates were there so I thought it would be nice and polite to go hang out and say hello as you do. A full wine bottle got thrown at the ground four feet in front of me, I was wearing shorts so my legs got covered in wine and glass.
Im gone. My face.

People wonder why I hate drinking...

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#51 sarahelizabeth

sarahelizabeth

Extreme Poster

• Closed Accounts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,809 posts
  • LocationTree Hill

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

I drank a little I use to..
i alwyas though that sense my brotehrs drink i had to drink but now i relazie it is nasty

and I don't smoke..

I try weed I am not going lie abuot that

but what i see people go though with drinking I NEVER wanna go though it..
I never really got
drunk I try a beer pretty nasty

and My friend Told me that..
Drinking a beer a day is good for your health?

wanna keep in touch add me on facebook < sarahs facebook <3

I am a pet Penguin My owner is tara Posted Image

Js buddy:Cat. Aunt:Dina Cycling Buddy: Kimmers Mom: Arie
Brothers:Chandler lil chris ardi joe loverboy Andrew
sisters:Lindy stef amber ellen Kimmie! Grandpa big chris
Great grandpa Jon Great Grandma Noura Neice Karen

#52 Emmas Friend

Emmas Friend

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Alcohol use should not be abused, people should drink responsibly, too much alcohol is no good for anyone's health, [and temper].

I like a drink myself, the odd beer or two :rolleye0012:

Everybody has their own limit as to how much they can drink safely, know your limit, and stick to it. :yesyes:
E-sister - Madeline

#53 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Mood::giggidy
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:41 AM

Alcohol use should not be abused, people should drink responsibly, too much alcohol is no good for anyone's health, [and temper].

I like a drink myself, the odd beer or two :rolleye0012:

Everybody has their own limit as to how much they can drink safely, know your limit, and stick to it. :yesyes:

According to my friends, I'm a funny drunk... I'm actually a lot angrier sober. :lol:
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#54 sarahelizabeth

sarahelizabeth

Extreme Poster

• Closed Accounts
  • 25,809 posts
  • LocationTree Hill

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:48 AM

According to my friends, I'm a funny drunk... I'm actually a lot angrier sober. :lol:

Some people are really funny drunk :D

it is funny to watch

#55 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:53 AM

Some people are really funny drunk :D

it is funny to watch

Yeah I had one too many cocktails one night and a few beers. I don't remember but they were saying I was so "confident that I could stand" although I was falling over things and a terrible singer. Did half a song of karaoke before I heard laughing from the other side of the room... it wasn't even about me and I was all "screw you guys I'm going home". Walked out tripping over things before I guess passing out by the billiards table. Then they took pictures of me haha.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#56 sarahelizabeth

sarahelizabeth

Extreme Poster

• Closed Accounts
  • 25,809 posts
  • LocationTree Hill

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:10 AM

hahaha omg.. that reminds me of my best friends brother every time he is drunk he will say "F*** " in ever Sentences it is so funny

#57 ShipOfFools

ShipOfFools

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

I had a beer yesterday. No big deal.

It's just a drink. I don't understand people that treat it like it's a religion. Sure, it tastes good, and it makes you relaxed, but so does anti anxiety medication.

If you're so anxious that you need a "drink" to make you not anxious, perhaps you have more serious issues than liking alcohol.

"Actually I'm highly logical which allows me to look past extraneous detail and perceive clearly that which others overlook." - Hermoine Granger

#58 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

I had a beer yesterday. No big deal.

It's just a drink. I don't understand people that treat it like it's a religion. Sure, it tastes good, and it makes you relaxed, but so does anti anxiety medication.

If you're so anxious that you need a "drink" to make you not anxious, perhaps you have more serious issues than liking alcohol.

Nicotine relieves anxiety to more people than alcohol does. As much as you don't understand people that "treat it like it's a religion", I don't either, I don't understand people that treat it like taboo. It's just a drink, a few won't kill you and it won't turn your into an evil mischievous minion.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#59 Kim.

Kim.

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Mood::Fearless.
  • LocationCamping out in a positive frame of mind.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:40 AM

Nicotine relieves anxiety to more people than alcohol does. As much as you don't understand people that "treat it like it's a religion", I don't either, I don't understand people that treat it like taboo. It's just a drink, a few won't kill you and it won't turn your into an evil mischievous minion.

Either way, nicotine and alcohol are drugs which affect the body and, depending on a person's genetic history (in most cases), can become extremely addictive for a person. "A few won't kill you"--perhaps this is true, but most people I know have quite more than a few drinks.

And, by the way, "a drink" is not just one drink. Technically speaking, one drink is about 3-4 ounces. Depending on the strength, or proof, of the alcohol drunken and the amount of consumption, a drink can amount to easily more than 2 servings. Some drink-goers have a general misconception that one shot of vodka, etc., is contained in a very small glass so therefore it would not pack as much effect as say, one glass of wine, or 10 ounces of margerita.

Granted a "few" drinks will not kill a person and turn them into "an evil mischievous minion", but most people do tend to over-do it. By great margins. I've seen people piss drunk. It's not fun to take care of other people when you're out to enjoy yourself. And, once you've dealt with a problem like that first-hand but on a larger scale it's such a put-off.

My first taste of alcohol was at the age of 8. My step-brother-in-law (I don't even know if that makes sense, but my family is so big it's hard to keep track) gave me a can of Budweiser beer without telling me what it was. My step-cousin made me chew candy, chocolate, and gum before going home.

At 13, I became accustomed to drinking a small glass of red wine with each dinner while on my holiday in Florida. I do enjoy the taste, to be honest, but it's not something I readily overindulge in. I tried a Greek champagne for my 17th birthday...well, two. I became aware of doctoring my drinks, and knowing and understanding my limit and not pushing myself to drunkenness.

So, I suppose when the word "alcohol" is mentioned, many people automatically think of worst cases. So, in some family circles it does become taboo (which one can argue only propels coming-of-age children to drink further in college). It depends on the presentation of the topic, though. I used to be very anti-drinking, after I witnessed the affects of addiction second-hand. It's not a pretty thing.

Since then, I've come to respect most people's opinions on the matter and I have continued to enjoy myself responsibly while surrounded by people I trust. And, yes, I did have a drink tonight but I drank it according to the recommendations given to me in an alcohol awareness class in university.

I will say, though, that drinking culture is very pervasive and it's very easy to yield to peer pressure. A friend commented, "You're acting very PG-13 tonight" when he offered me--on top of a full glass of margerita --a chocolate martini, and shots later and I had declined. I'm simply not interested in not being able to walk in a straight line, losing my sense of motor control, and slurring my speech. That interest can be left at the door when I walk in, and not taken with me as I walk out.

Edited by Lena, 04 April 2011 - 03:48 AM.

Posted Image

A BIG thanks to the beautiful BoMa, my big sister <3. I know I haven't been around much to talk, but you're more than amazing and I'm so happy to receive this graphic as a gift. Thanks for being so kind-hearted. ;)

Quotes Which Resonate with Me:
"There is no success without determination" -K.S., #24. RIP <3, 2009.
"I don't need any of you to approve of my decisions, I need ya'll to respect them" -Sandra Bullock in 'The Blind Side'.
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstance. The people who get on in the world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." -George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright.

#60 Mrs Duck

Mrs Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

It's so interesting that y'all have such different opinions on this. :blink:

I feel odd saying I enjoy being drunk once (tops twice) a month and just completely letting loose. I can (for unknown reasons) handle a lot of liquour and tend to drink a lot but I've never became a pain to anyone, been sick or done anything stupid. I just get become very happy and by the end of the night I pass out. Few hours later I wake up, drink lots of water, take a painkiller and have a pizza for breakfast/lunch. :) It's a nice and different way to hang out with your friends!

I've seen so many people who have taken it waaay too far and I really don't see the point of that. But also I know we all have our reasons so I don't judge anyone for their behavior around alcohol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users