The Emma-Watson.net Forum

dude you have no idea how difficult it is. What my mom and I went threw is unbelivable. At some stages it was inhumane. The amount of money we had to spend, the stress. I also blame that the best part of my teenage life was kinda screwed up because of it. And in the end it was all for nothing, now that we have it lol. And the process just finished a few days ago, after 3.5 years.

I seriously have no idea why they make it so difficult, it's ridiculous.

Just wondering because I hope to relocate to the US at some stage.

Why is getting a Green Card so difficult?

I'm a born and bred US citizen so of course I have no idea about such things. My guess is that it's supposed to somehow help slow the flow of illegals coming across the border. Looks like we missed the mark there. That's merely a guess though. Someone with more knowledge would have to answer.

Out of curiosity though, why is it that you're hoping to relocate here? I always find it quite interesting to know people's stories and how they end up here.

I'm a born and bred US citizen so of course I have no idea about such things. My guess is that it's supposed to somehow help slow the flow of illegals coming across the border. Looks like we missed the mark there. That's merely a guess though. Someone with more knowledge would have to answer.

Out of curiosity though, why is it that you're hoping to relocate here? I always find it quite interesting to know people's stories and how they end up here.

Because Im getting into the TV and Film industry. I hope to move and be a camera operator for the NFL

Not necessarily, there's also a lot of bureaucratic red tape you have to go through. Once applied through immigration, your file goes through God knows how many offices and most of the time sits in a filing cabinet before being signed off on. Remember this is after approved a work/student/tourist visa which are difficult enough to get. It took my close to 5 years to get my Permanent Resident Card (aka 'Green Card' cause of its green colour) and what's worse is another 10 years to get my US citizenship.

If you know the right people to call, your process may or may not be sped up. There's only so many people handling your file; most of the time it just sits in someone's file cabinet for a few months before moving on to the next office up the chain and onto final approval.

Not necessarily, there's also a lot of bureaucratic red tape you have to go through. Once applied through immigration, your file goes through God knows how many offices and most of the time sits in a filing cabinet before being signed off on. Remember this is after approved a work/student/tourist visa which are difficult enough to get. It took my close to 5 years to get my Permanent Resident Card (aka 'Green Card' cause of its green colour) and what's worse is another 10 years to get my US citizenship.

If you know the right people to call, your process may or may not be sped up. There's only so many people handling your file; most of the time it just sits in someone's file cabinet for a few months before moving on to the next office up the chain and onto final approval.

Know what you mean. They took even blood from us, looked if we have STD's, we even had to take vaccines (like we're from a 3rd world country and never took any). And I think we had to pay them our selfs because they aren't important.

Another 10 years? Did you had to wait 10 years to actually get the US ciztisenship, or could you apply for it after 10 years? Because they told us you can apply for it after you lived 4-5 years in the country.

Know what you mean. They took even blood from us, looked if we have STD's, we even had to take vaccines (like we're from a 3rd world country and never took any). And I think we had to pay them our selfs because they aren't important.

Another 10 years? Did you had to wait 10 years to actually get the US ciztisenship, or could you apply for it after 10 years? Because they told us you can apply for it after you lived 4-5 years in the country.

We applied about 3 years after getting permanent residence but the state department was just very sluggish in pushing our file through. Correction, it was 8 rather than 10 years; in effect it took 5 years after applying to get my naturalization. We immigrated in 1995 and didn't become citizens until 2008.

About the whole vaccination thing, there's a reason polio and tuberculosis are non-existent in this country. There are also some blood-bourne pathogens they look for but I don't know what. I remember reading a bit before donating blood that if I lived or have been to the UK (and certain parts of Europe) prior to 1987 or something like that I wasn't eligible; also if I lived or have been in certain countries in the Caribbean or Costa Rica prior to 1995 or something.

We applied about 3 years after getting permanent residence but the state department was just very sluggish in pushing our file through. Correction, it was 8 rather than 10 years; in effect it took 5 years after applying to get my naturalization. We immigrated in 1995 and didn't become citizens until 2008.

About the whole vaccination thing, there's a reason polio and tuberculosis are non-existent in this country. There are also some blood-bourne pathogens they look for but I don't know what. I remember reading a bit before donating blood that if I lived or have been to the UK (and certain parts of Europe) prior to 1987 or something like that I wasn't eligible; also if I lived or have been in certain countries in the Caribbean or Costa Rica prior to 1995 or something.

I see. But damn, a long time. I for sure won't do that. It was enough stress to get the bloody permanent residence card (and lol it isn't even 'permanent').

hmm interesting. It might have something to do with the Chernobyl disaster from 1986.

Edited by W.V.B

I see. But damn, a long time. I for sure won't do that. It was enough stress to get the bloody permanent residence card (and lol it isn't even 'permanent').

hmm interesting. It might have something to do with the Chernobyl disaster from 1986.

In all honesty, the main difference between permanent residence and citizenship is voting rights.

In all honesty, the main difference between permanent residence and citizenship is voting rights.

haha, thats true. And I really don't care about the voting right. But what annoys me, after all you went threw they still can take your greencard away if you are outside of the country for a year, or if they think you aren't long enough in the country. And the green card only lasts 10 years, then you have to apply again. Thats why I don't understand the 'permanent' part.

Edited by W.V.B

sirbendictvs,

If you don't mind me asking, what country did you immigrate from? Also, can you explain what you said below? What would be the reasoning behind this? Or did they even give a reason?

I remember reading a bit before donating blood that if I lived or have been to the UK (and certain parts of Europe) prior to 1987 or something like that I wasn't eligible; also if I lived or have been in certain countries in the Caribbean or Costa Rica prior to 1995 or something.

sirbendictvs,

If you don't mind me asking, what country did you immigrate from? Also, can you explain what you said below? What would be the reasoning behind this? Or did they even give a reason?

I immigrated from the Philippines. It may have been sooner since my mom was already a nurse in New Jersey before going back to the Philippines, a few years later there was a need for nurses in Texas and a bunch of Filipino nurses were sent, I was one of those families.

As far as the reasoning for that, I didn't read too far into it but I asked the tech about it and said something about there was some sort of virus or disease prominent in those areas. The one about Britain, I think it was something about the water. Not entirely sure though. I do know for sure that was the case with Costa Rica and the Caribbean. If you ever give blood for Carter Bloodcare or The Red Cross, you'll read the same thing.

Edited by sirbenedictvs