The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Got To See True Grit

Really liked it. Wanna see it again.

They shot a lot of the movie down around Granger. So it had a more authentic feel than did the version starring The Duke. Still, Granger is not a spot on stand in for Eastern Oklahoma and I don't understand why it couldn't be shot there. Much of Southeastern Oklahoma is not a whole lot different than it was back then. But it's better than seeing the Rockies in the background as we did in the '69 version.

The movie had a very authentic feel to it kind of like Jesse James with Brad Pitt did. It didn't have a Western on a back lot and sound stage feel. It felt like this is really what America was like in the Old West rather than the Old West from the vantage point of 2010. They shot in real locations and the town they used for Fort Smith looked real instead of something thrown together for a movie set.

The actress who played Mattie did an excellent job. That was one of my biggest problems with the Duke's version. Kim Darby absolutely ruined it for me. I couldn't stand her. This girl is not cute or precocious but she certainly endears herself to the audience as we get to know her better.

There is a high body count in this movie as Rooster kills just about everyone he comes in contact with. But it is not cartoon violence and the seriousness of taking another man's life is given weight through Mattie's unjaded eyes. It is all a shock and an eye opening experience for her but to these men it's just their way of life and they know no different.

One of the things that I feel is a glaring inaccuracy in this story though is when the gang has Mattie Ross in their possession. In the real West they would have raped that girl and killed her as quick as you please. These were desperate men.

I really like this film. It's on par with No Country For Old Men. It's that good.

Edited by The Dude

As a HUGE fan of The Duke, (heck, we even share a birthday) I have a hard time getting myself to see it. I probably will once it comes out on DVD. But, I don't know if I'll be able to go in with an open mind.

Maybe this will help (probably not) but Jeff Bridges does not attempt a Duke impression. He takes the character from the book and plays it his own way. Matt Damon is an upgrade over Glen Campbell as far as acting is concerned. Hailee Steinfeld is so much better than Kim Darby that it's an insult to mention them in the same sentence.

I understand your love of The Duke and no you will probably not be able to go into it without prejudice but it's still a really good flick.

Rock Chalk baby.

Maybe this will help (probably not) but Jeff Bridges does not attempt a Duke impression. He takes the character from the book and plays it his own way. Matt Damon is an upgrade over Glen Campbell as far as acting is concerned. Hailee Steinfeld is so much better than Kim Darby that it's an insult to mention them in the same sentence.

He is correct, and I fully back him up with this statement. The other night I watched a few minutes of the original and I was shocked at how well Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Haliee Steinfeld performed compared to the Duke, Campbell, and Darby. Personally, I liked Jeff Bridges "interpretation" more than the Duke's. Anyway, you should definitely see the movie on the big screen. You won't regret it.