The Emma-Watson.net Forum

What book are you currently reading?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rom sei dank.

Its about how rom and Greece and there society are living forth in our own society and daily living. Interesting but most of the things i read until yet i already knew.

Try not to judge it by modern day standards. By that I mean in comparison to modern day literature it's not going to be anything like Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games, ect. in terms of ease of reading or even really catching your attention. I specialize in 19th century literature and creative writing, and Frankenstein is more of a classic example of Romanticism and the legitimation of the novel, in those regards and in terms of what it did for the gothic genre it was a pretty big deal. By today's standards though it's not going to be as action packed or engaging to the modern reader as the aforementioned books. If you're not into analyzing literature you probably won't enjoy it too much, but it's still worth reading so I'd encourage you to finish it, if nothing else you will be one of the few who knows all the common misconceptions surrounding Frankenstein.

I'm about to read Titus Andronicus (Shakespeare) then I have Atonement by Ian McEwan up on deck.

How come I haven't answered to this? xD All I wanted to say is that not everyone reads a book the way we, who have majored in literature, do. We notice a lot of things that concern not only the obvious meanings but also the subtle ones, the language, the historical background, the era it was written, the author's influences and so many other details. A lot of people don't actually do that, and they judge a book, based on the very story alone, based on their taste, and that's about it. I really don't blame them I don't want to come off like that and I really don't consider myself superior in any way. But I speak from experience, the first time I read Frankestein long ago I was not thrilled and I never got why people liked it. I read it again this very year, when I took an online course on Fantasy and Sci-Fi lit, and I understood so many more things, so many incredible motifs that people tend to overlook.

---

Just finished Doctorow's Little Brother and currently reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I only recently saw the TV series so I thought I'd read the book as well.

The Wise Mans Fear, The Kingkiller chronicles, Day Two - by Patrick Rothfuss

In my memorie the first book (the Name of the Wind) was better but i´m ready to give it a second chance. It is still good written and i like that its almost complete the memories of one man. And of course the silence of three parts is just brilliant. as i first rode it i could not believe what i was reading, rode it all again and again and was in love with the book, the first one^^ 

Edit: Don´t You think that Kingslayer sounds better than Kingkiller?

Edited by Badab
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Feuerblüte, Im Reich der Wolkentrinker by Katja brandis

translated  - fireflower, in the land of the clouddrinkers

saw it in my bookshelf and haven´t read it since 2006, so i thought why not.

• 4 weeks later...