The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Lord Of The Rings

I started reading The Lord of the Rings books about 12 years ago, even before I knew HP existed!

Then I continued by reading The Hobbit, even though it came out first.

I adore those books and, in general, was really pleased about the movies too. But I'd take the books any day. :king:

Are you a fan as well?

I read them, I guess about 10 years ago. I read the trilogy during one day, but I can't say I'm a big fan. I haven't read the others. Started reading The Hobbit, but stopped.

But I admire JRR Tolkien because he set a standard to fantasy books that almost everyone who came after him follow. To dig so deep in history and myths and create a whole world is amazing.

I read them, I guess about 10 years ago. I read the trilogy during one day, but I can't say I'm a big fan. I haven't read the others. Started reading The Hobbit, but stopped.

But I admire JRR Tolkien because he set a standard to fantasy books that almost everyone who came after him follow. To dig so deep in history and myths and create a whole world is amazing.

I agree that Tolkien set a standard. And I respect all the hard work behind these books, it's not easy to create a whole new world as well as Tolkien did. I'd like to get inside his head, his imagination must run pretty wild :D

I absolutely love the books (trilogy and the hobbit) and movies. I'm a huge fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Big fan of the books but there are some boring parts in them. And sometimes he can get a little too descriptive. Nonetheless, I have read the books multiple times now. Started with the version in my own language(got the books from my father). And recently got the English version.

Of course a massive fan of these books, read the triology and the Hobbit a couple of times (seen the movies MANY times). I find myself wanting to re-read them very often but stopping myself to "save" them haha, if you get what I mean.

Am especially fond of the Hobbit though because I read it before the triology.

I read The Hobbit first too, when I was about 9, and loved it. It took me a while to get in to LOTR, despite knowing the story from the films already. In some ways I wish I'd have read the books first; I think I'd have got more out of them.

Jade, see if you can find a copy in a larger print. The library might have some :)

• 1 month later...

I first read them in 5th grad and I couldn't understand much :). But then I read Hobbit and i loved it.

I re-read the LOTR novels when the movies was still coming out. Before the first movie had premiere I had read the first book and so on.

I was so empressed by Tolkiens writing this time around. One master of fantasy writing!

Edited by trixie

I think when I get around to reading them I won't read them again. Way to long to read. >.<

If you will love them, they will be worth reading again and again. :) Believe me. Just look at Christopher Lee who like read them every year!

I think when I get around to reading them I won't read them again. Way to long to read. >.<

I absolutely adore long books! I don't know why, maybe cause I'm a fast reader and I don't want the book to be over in two seconds. :D

• 1 month later...

I read them probably... 6-7 years ago. And, needless to say, the books were better than the movies. But I love the movies. Can't say I remember a lot from the books, I just remember that a lot was cut when the movies were made.

I absolutely adore long books! I don't know why, maybe cause I'm a fast reader and I don't want the book to be over in two seconds. :D

Dude, me too!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...