The Emma-Watson.net Forum

British And American Tv

A few weeks ago I read an article about the mid-season TV replacements. There were two or three shows based on British shows. Then there was a show about a TV show that is based on a British show: Episodes. So it's a show about a British show being remade into an American show...if you can follow all that.

It seems to me that there are or have been in the past several British TV shows that have been remade into American TV shows such as The Office. But it seems very few American shows are remade in Britain. Instead it seems that American shows are just exported as is to Britain or other countries rather than being remade or ported over.

Why do you think this is.

I have never understood this either... two of my favourite shows are Life on Mars and Being Human, both shows were shown to American audiences, yet have both have still been remade.

I have seen the trailer for the American version of Life on Mars, and to me it just looks rubbish compared to the original British version. One of the best things about the series is the characters and the actors who play them, it's just not the same without them.

I guess it's a case of wanting to, or needing to 'Americanize' them or re-make them so they identify more with American audiences.. they see that a show has been a massive hit over here, so try to do the same there.

I don't know why it doesn't work the other way, while I love British TV I probably watch more American programs overall, Fringe, 24, House, Heroes to name a few in recent years. I have never had a problem understanding the humour or culture, and never felt that they needed to be remade with a British influence, they are great on their own.

America tends to think that Americans won't understand British humor. The majority of successful "remakes" are shows like Trading Spaces (based on Changing Rooms) and Cash in the Attic. Very few fictional series are remade well in America because Hollywood has a way of sucking out all that makes British TV great to satisfy censors or to "dumb it down" for the American audience. There have been successful remakes (a couple I'll even go so far as to say that they were better than the original, but that may just be because they ran/are running longer). These shows are The Office and Queer as Folk. Shameless on Showtime is another remake that I really like. I've never seen the original, however.

The majority of successful "remakes" are shows like Trading Spaces (based on Changing Rooms) and Cash in the Attic.

These are some of the worst offenses the British have unleashed on America since taxation without representation. Add to that list American Idol and America's Got Talent. These are shows accomplish what YouTube could do for free.

I don't know that Hollywood wants to suck out all that makes them great or dumb them down for the American audience. I think they just want to suck out all that makes it British and Americanize it. I think dazza hit the nail on the head with the assessment with the desire or the need to Americanize them so Americans can identify more with the show.

Edited by The Dude

I agree they do feel the need to Americanize them, which to be honest I think for a lot of people they have to. People don't really like what they're not used to, and most Americans aren't used to British shows. I don't mean this in a bad way at all. A lot of people don't like foreign films, I love them now and not because I'm amazingly cultured and accepting of different things (because I am no more so then anyone else on here), but because I was forced to watch them at school and learnt to enjoy the films even though I had to read the subtitles. I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across very well, but I know what I mean :/