The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Back From Extinction?

http://bigthink.com/ideas/26567

"Today, scientists analyze chemical signatures and growth markings in the tusks to better understand how they lived and possibly even clues into their extinction which has been debated for decades. Fossil collectors and enthusiasts can purchase mammoth ivory on the Internet with prices for full length intact tusks fetching 10's of thousands of dollars. With the trade ban on elephant ivory, Countries like Russia and China have found a loop hole by stepping around the ban and exporting mammoth ivory. Annually, Russia exports over 50 tons of mammoth ivory to China with some experts estimating that millions of mammoths are frozen in the Siberian tundra waiting to be found, excavated and sold. Well, it turns out these prehistoric beasts are in the headlines once again with Japanese scientists claiming that they can bring them back into existence. Researchers at Kyoto University are working with a research lab in Russia that preserved a piece of woolly mammoth soft tissue that was discovered last summer which they state will help them produce a living-breathing baby mammoth within 5-6 years. The idea is to extract intact DNA from the Russian sample and then insert it into the living egg cells of a modern African elephant. If all goes well, a mammoth embryo would essentially be produced inside the egg of the elephant.

The Japanese team leader is Akira Iritani, a professor emeritus at Kyoto University. The concept of cloning the mammoth is nothing new and previous attempts have failed due to the age of frozen tissue not being able to yield usable biological material that is suitable enough for such a delicate process. If the Russian sample turns out to be ineffective, Professor Iritani and his team will keep searching. Finding a workable sample may be right around the corner considering that millions of mammoths are perhaps just beneath the surface. The frozen climate of Siberia has created an excellent environment for long term preservation of the organic and biological material the team requires. In 2007 for example, a University of Michigan paleontologist unearthed a 4-month old female mammoth in Siberia that was what he called "the best and most complete mammoth carcass--baby or adult--ever found."

Sounds cool to me. but...

"There is a good chance this process will not work. After all, the biological material is thousands of years old and has undergone a great deal of degradation. But, perhaps the Siberian permafrost preserved everything the researchers need to complete their goal. The team is also questioning what the next step will be if the cloning actually works. The team states that they will examine the mammoth's ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct in the first place."

The trouble with some scientists is that they don't know when to stop. Fair enough to examine and study bones and tissue that has been found. But why on Earth do they have to try and create a living Mammoth.

They are just meddling with nature for their own egos.

I think it sounds wrong. They died for a reason. The evolution did it. I don't think we should start make extinct species live.

But was it evolution, or pressure from hunting?

What about more recently extinct species, like the dodo? That wasn't evolution, that was humans. If they could bring them back, should they?

It's not like they can clone enough to make a stable wild population, that would mean they would have to clone thousands. It's for the interest of science and to help us understand more about these animals, and what's cruel about bringing something back to life? Also to clone the animals they need to find 'fresh' cells which may be hard to find for some species

It's not like they can clone enough to make a stable wild population, that would mean they would have to clone thousands. It's for the interest of science and to help us understand more about these animals, and what's cruel about bringing something back to life? Also to clone the animals they need to find 'fresh' cells which may be hard to find for some species

I have to agree with you.

As much as I don't like science meddling with nature, this is the meddling I really support. If they are successful in cloning a mammoth I am all for it. For the sake of science and finding out more about extinct animals it really would be incredible if they were successful.

But was it evolution, or pressure from hunting?

What about more recently extinct species, like the dodo? That wasn't evolution, that was humans. If they could bring them back, should they?

Well, the climate was changing. But yeah, suppose also hunting killed quite a few.

Or the Thylacine. But humans are part of evoloution. But yeah I agree it was our fault.

I just think of what Malcolm said on Jurassic park:

"scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Malcolm FTW! Jurrasic Park tought us quite a lot about this stuff if you ask me. :P

Mammoths don't know this century...they lived in a different climate and had different food. It would be pretty confusing for them.

Edited by W.V.B

I want a baby mammoth!they are so cute and it's such a shame they disappeared!I hope this thing doesn't fail because it will help us understand those creatures and times a little better.I feel sorry for the baby mammoth,trough.If it will come to life it will be so confused because of the climate and flora changed a lot and we can't offer him a proper environment.

Also if they use an egg from an african elephant won't that be a little weird since those are used with hot weather? :mellow:

Edited by mrr_madeline

:P

An elephant with thick shaggy fur....strikes me as exactly what the world needs in times of global warming.

:0_0:

Not sure how a single specimen modified and bred in a laboratory is going to give anyone any real clues as to why an entire species vanished....i mean, think about it....what are they going to do? Expose it to heat, the wrong food, starvation, infect it with diseases, maybe all at the same time, and study it`s response?

Sounds like a lame excuse.

They are just itching to try something new, that`s all.

:P

An elephant with thick shaggy fur....strikes me as exactly what the world needs in times of global warming.

:0_0:

Not sure how a single specimen modified and bred in a laboratory is going to give anyone any real clues as to why an entire species vanished....i mean, think about it....what are they going to do? Expose it to heat, the wrong food, starvation, infect it with diseases, maybe all at the same time, and study it`s response?

Sounds like a lame excuse.

They are just itching to try something new, that`s all.

lol actually this whole-it will tel us about how the world used to be-is probably based on the fact that the genes in the DNA keep instincts specific to a race.So based on the clones behavior they will be able to make assumptions on how they used to live,what they ate(if they can find stuff to feed him.)etc.

• 13 years later...

Наша группа квалифицированных исполнителей готова предъявить вам новаторские системы, которые не только обеспечат устойчивую протекцию от зимы, но и дарят вашему жилищу модный вид.
Мы трудимся с новейшими строительными материалами, утверждая продолжительный время работы и блестящие результирующие показатели. Утепление внешней обшивки – это не только сокращение расходов на огреве, но и заботливость о природной среде. Сберегательные методы, каковые мы используем, способствуют не только своему, но и сохранению природных ресурсов.
Самое основное: [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]Утепление фасада дома под ключ цена[/url] у нас открывается всего от 1250 рублей за квадратный метр! Это доступное решение, которое изменит ваш домик в реальный приятный район с минимальными затратами.
Наши примеры – это не единственно теплоизоляция, это разработка территории, в где любой аспект отражает ваш особенный образ действия. Мы примем все ваши желания, чтобы сделать ваш дом еще больше приятным и привлекательным.
Подробнее на [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]http://www.stroystandart-kirov.ru[/url]
Не откладывайте заботу о своем квартире на потом! Обращайтесь к экспертам, и мы сделаем ваш дворец не только теплее, но и изысканнее. Заинтересовались? Подробнее о наших сервисах вы можете узнать на сайте компании. Добро пожаловать в пространство комфорта и качества.