The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The National Society Of High School Scholars

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Note: Anything surrounded in quotes ("...") is a quote from a letter I received in the mail about being "...nominated...for an invitation to join other scholars in our unique honors organization...as on of the country's top student leaders." See, I did it right there!

Now, onto the story. I went to this thing a few years back called the Jr. National Young Leadership Council (JrNYLC). Because of this, I am eligible to join the NSHSS, however it seems I would be able to join the program anyway if I didn't do that due to the requirements: "A student must be a sophomore, junior, or senior in high school with a 3.5 cumulative GPA or better...Students who we believe are qualified may be selected to receive an invitation from Mr. Nobel." As a side note, Mr. Nobel is the chairmen, and his family created the Nobel Prize.

By paying the $60 application fee (it goes to the scholarship fund that they have), I will be eligible for "...over $100,000 in scholarships..." It also seems like this looks really good on college applications forms.

According to the letter, "Membership into the Society is by invitation only."

What my question is is if anybody heard of this before, or, better yet, went through it? I would sign up immediately, it is only $60, but I want to know if it actually look good on a college application form; they could easily just be saying that. As a[nother] side note, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives it an A- (that is a good grade). However, forums say that it is a scam (they don't give any reasons why, and most forums don't give good feedback). So, basically, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm worried that if I do this, colleges will look down on it, incase you didn't get that from the paragraph above.

Edited by ckravitz

of course you should do it if you have the grades and money :)

it sounds good(never heard of it trough :P )especially if it has connections to the Nobel family.try asking one of your teachers 'bout it.Maybe they had other students that got an invitation and you could contact them to see if it's worth $60.

good luck :)

of course you should do it if you have the grades and money :)

it sounds good(never heard of it trough :P )especially if it has connections to the Nobel family.try asking one of your teachers 'bout it.Maybe they had other students that got an invitation and you could contact them to see if it's worth $60.

good luck :)

I was planning on setting up a meeting with the guidance counselor (who I despise) and ask all my teachers their thoughts. I would do it in a heartbeat, but I just want to make sure that it actually looks good on a college application form. And I agree, it has connections with the Nobel family so it must be legitimate.

Thank you very much :)

WOW!! seriously you have to do it and im sure it's would be an Awesome add for the college application form but yea if u are afraid try to search on people who have been in this before and try to get from them much information about that! but really if i were you i would do it cuz it's look great in college application form =D best of luck for ya

WOW!! seriously you have to do it and im sure it's would be an Awesome add for the college application form but yea if u are afraid try to search on people who have been in this before and try to get from them much information about that! but really if i were you i would do it cuz it's look great in college application form =D best of luck for ya

Thank you for your help :)

Edited by ckravitz
  • 3 weeks later...