The Emma-Watson.net Forum

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, ghosts and spirits, to me, are just the work of the demonic. To me souls cannot be stuck in between life and the after life. Not sure what to make of the Bermuda Triangle. Ufo's I dont believe in also.

Bloody Mary is stupid.

And curses are kind of true. Like they say that their ancestors are being protected by guardians or what not, to me its not that but just Paganism that allows a demon to live and roam around that area.

However, I think that Demons, Angels, Miracles and Demonic Possession are very much real.

• 4 weeks later...

No, ghosts and spirits, to me, are just the work of the demonic. To me souls cannot be stuck in between life and the after life. Not sure what to make of the Bermuda Triangle. Ufo's I dont believe in also.

Bloody Mary is stupid.

And curses are kind of true. Like they say that their ancestors are being protected by guardians or what not, to me its not that but just Paganism that allows a demon to live and roam around that area.

However, I think that Demons, Angels, Miracles and Demonic Possession are very much real.

wow that was almost spot on to what I was going to say.

• 4 weeks later...

But I think the world would be a little more interesting if there were some monsters here ;)

There are. They drive windowless vans.

As a Gnostic, I don't have that hard of a time accepting the existence of the supernatural. That being said, I also tend to view all folklore, mythology and sacred texts as allegories. So.... a little from column A, a little from column B.

• 5 weeks later...

I totally want to believe in the Loch Ness Monster B) I visited it 4 years back and even took the bout tour out. It was awesome but no sight of a monster ;)

Lol, sorry to say this, but Loch Ness has existed like it is today for at least a few thousand years.....a lake like that could never sustain a viable population of nessie-monsters/dinosaurs/dragons over such a long time.

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

The Bermuda Triangle: This has been refuted by scientists and Lloyd's of London insurance firm that needs to know if this area is dangerous in order to adjust their rates for ships that travel in it. They found that no more ships sink in this area than any other in the world's oceans. It's prone to storms, so of course there will be perfectly easy to understand sinkings. The boats/planes that are ascribed to the Bermuda actually are known to have been far away from the area when they were last spotted. It's a hoax that frauds used to make money selling books about this nonsense.

Plesiosaurs: Plesiosaurs and other marine reptiles have been put forward as an explanation for various sea and lake monsters found all over human mythology. The ocean is big, deep, and mysterious and we are always finding new, weird, and sometimes very big things there (whale shark, giant squid, oarfish, etc., all relatively recent discoveries, at least in the Western world), so if some kind of weird Cretaceous holdover was somewhere, the ocean would be where you'd look. Remember the Coelocanth, which was widely known to have gone extinct millions and millions of years ago, until a fisherman pulled one up off of Madagascar. The ocean does hide surprises, and sometimes living fossils happen. Pretty good odds that the marine reptiles of the Mesozoic are really, really extinct. There's just not enough ocean for them to be hiding in, the major extinction events that took out their brethren were too thorough, and frankly, the world just usually isn't that cool. People hope, really. It's more fun to live in a world with monsters, where there's still something to discover. And while sometimes it's silly (see, well, Plesiosaurs in modern lakes and oceans), that's also the spirit that gives up scientific discoveries much of the time, the urge to explore and find the really neat things around us. I can deal with a few reruns of Monsterquest if the payoff is a world where people are always making discoveries. Also, Lake monsters are great for local tourist economies--just look at Loch Ness! So there's a slightly more pragmatic reason you'll hear about possible holdovers from the age of dinosaurs. I love Cryptozoology! :P

Bloody Mary: It's a darn good drink if made correctly! :excited: Other than that, no. It's a silly game kids play. I did it like 5 times, nothing happened.

Ghosts: I don't think there is any preponderance of evidence to support the existence of ghosts. This is primarily a faith issue, not a fact issue. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence, but nothing concrete. Tough to debate this topic based on facts or logic.

UFO's: All a UFO is is an unidentified flying object. It does not always equal aliens. It could be that a strange craft flew into our airspace...spies, foreign military, etc. Who wants to admit that our airspace is vulnerable. However, I do not deny the possibility in extra terrestrials. Space is incredibly vast and it would be very ethnocentric of us (as Earth folk) to think that we are the only planet that has life. Our sun is a star. They have confirmed the existence of planets orbiting around Alpha Centauri (our next closest star.) If there's other civilizations out there, then chances are 50/50 they're more advanced than we are. We're able to see planets orbiting other stars, and we're working on ways to look for Earth-like planets around other stars--they can probably already do that, if they're more advanced than we are. There may be beings out there aware that Earth exists, and may even be aware of Man (our first radio signals are out to about 80 light years now; so any beings within 80 light years of Earth could, conceivably, be aware we're here.)