The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I was just about to put a Seinfeld thread up, but you beat me to it :P

I, too, have all 9 seasons on DVD; I, obviously, love the show. No matter how many times you watch them they are always funny. Also, I can relate the show to everything. For example, I got a cashmere scarf (The Red Dot), my father's car was a little smelly (The Smelly Car), etc.

Anyway, it's truly the best sitcom of all time.

-----EDIT-----

That was a great video

Edited by ckravitz

It runs very late at night here in Germany.. "the show about nothing" it is funny but not too "in your face". It has its quiet moments and insiders, really like that show.

It runs very late at night here in Germany.. "the show about nothing" it is funny but not too "in your face". It has its quiet moments and insiders, really like that show.

That's the funny thing about it, is it really wasn't about nothing. The creators of Seinfeld read an article about the show in a New York newspaper and in the article it said the show was about nothing so they decided to use this description in the show. As it turns out it is not a show about nothing but a show about everything. Even the most mundane things.

A few of the things I like about Seinfeld is one, it wasn't really topical so it holds up over time unlike a show like Friends or All in the Family. And two, Jerry and Larry's motto of no hugging and no learning. It was all about the humor and the jokes. The show was never not funny. It never got serious or self important like so many comedies try to do with their "very special" episodes.

Jerry and Larry really had no idea what they were doing which is what made the show great. They didn't know what the rules and or conventions of television or sit coms were. Actually they originally wanted to do it as a single camera shoot with no studio audience or laugh track which was very uncommon at the time. But NBC said no on that but NBC did see the potential of the show and stuck with it when it was a ratings bomb. NBC has been very good in the past in nurturing shows with poor ratings that were done well such as Seinfeld and Cheers.

At the time it was normal for sit coms to have a structure of two or three separate story lines and to be joke, joke, joke and then have a heart close (a sweet or touching ending). But Seinfeld totally did away with that structure by having jokes all the way through as evidenced with closings such as:

Jerry: Wow! What'd she say?

George: She told me to "Go to hell!" and I took the bus home.

Seinfeld also popularized the tying together of seemingly disparate story lines beginning with The Marine Biologist. The show broke new ground in a genre that had gotten quite stale. It really did change the game.

That's the funny thing about it, is it really wasn't about nothing. The creators of Seinfeld read an article about the show in a New York newspaper and in the article it said the show was about nothing so they decided to use this description in the show. As it turns out it is not a show about nothing but a show about everything. Even the most mundane things.

A few of the things I like about Seinfeld is one, it wasn't really topical so it holds up over time unlike a show like Friends or All in the Family. And two, Jerry and Larry's motto of no hugging and no learning. It was all about the humor and the jokes. The show was never not funny. It never got serious or self important like so many comedies try to do with their "very special" episodes.

Jerry and Larry really had no idea what they were doing which is what made the show great. They didn't know what the rules and or conventions of television or sit coms were. Actually they originally wanted to do it as a single camera shoot with no studio audience or laugh track which was very uncommon at the time. But NBC said no on that but NBC did see the potential of the show and stuck with it when it was a ratings bomb. NBC has been very good in the past in nurturing shows with poor ratings that were done well such as Seinfeld and Cheers.

At the time it was normal for sit coms to have a structure of two or three separate story lines and to be joke, joke, joke and then have a heart close (a sweet or touching ending). But Seinfeld totally did away with that structure by having jokes all the way through as evidenced with closings such as:

Jerry: Wow! What'd she say?

George: She told me to "Go to hell!" and I took the bus home.

Seinfeld also popularized the tying together of seemingly disparate story lines beginning with The Marine Biologist. The show broke new ground in a genre that had gotten quite stale. It really did change the game.

I had no idea, that they picked up that "show about nothing" line. Nice little info:) well i think it is both, it is really about everything ( thousand-dollar-cake, death, books you cannot give back...) and nothing, because most of the time they make so much talk about nothing ;)

btw i love the bass "music"