The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Alternative Fashion Discussion

I love clothes so this forum should be a hang-out for me but after having read the "Fashion Discussion" thread I felt I didn't have anything to contribute, basically because I don't dress according to any magazine or what anyone else wears. So I thought maybe I'm not the only one so here's the topic for those of us who follows our own fashion ideas. Haha I sincerely hope it's just not me now :lol:

So basically I dress after how I feel in the morning so my wardrobe really consists of very different things. But I have a few main "fashion ideas" that I go by.

- SPORTY, I love Billabong and Rip Curl t-shirts, or other random t-shirts to wear with cardigans (or in the summer; by themselves), jeans and sneakers. Also I wear "suit pants" which gives me a more punk-ish but still sorta elgant look. Scarfs are also really nice, big ones/small ones and preferably with some nice patterns...

- GRUNGE, I absolutely love the grunge look, or basically any 90's look. Flannel is my best friend and I usually wear my shirts with black skirts, black stockings and ballerinas (if it's warm) or MC boots.

- STRICT, this is partly grunge, but strict so I love tight polos, plaid skirts, also absolutley crazy for velvet. Everything velvet I see I buy...

- NO JEWELRY, I have no idea why but I've never ever liked jewelry, I can appreciate other people wearing it but I would never use it myself, ever.

SO! Over to you, what do you like and how do you shop? Share and discuss :)

I'm not really into fashion terms or labels. I get dressed depending on my mood like you said, but never too much. I mostly wear black/white t-shirts with bands on them haha. Or funny logos/drawings that i make. I also prefer like, everyday accessories like jack skellighton earrings haha or black/silver chains with bands names on them or hand made jewelry sometimes. I have this weird combination; when i wear those things i never use make up haha and when i use makeup i never put any jewels on. Don't ask me why xD

That doesn't mean that i'm not gonna wear something fancy and good at times but rarely haha. And when it comes to gold jewels almost never.

I feel like I have to stick up now myself now lol. Its not like I am a robot and I don't follow my own ideas. I just have a different approach to fashion then you. I like high couture fashion. I am into designers and labels. I love classy and elegant looks. But, that doesn't mean I just follow what someone else is telling me. I still wear what I want to wear. It all depends on my mood. Just because I like designers doesn't mean I don't have my own ideas. Just because I chose to wear more classy designs then edgy doesn't make me the same as everyone else. I still buy what I like. I still decide what I want to wear. With that being said, I couldn't be more opposite then you! lol, but that's what is so amazing about fashion. That is what is so amazing about this world. We both love fashion, but have a very different approach.

You are edgy punk, I am classic.

I wear a lot of heels. A lot of black and white. I like to have a pop of color like red or turquoise. I love jewelry. I love to wear huge rings and necklaces in crazy colors. I love playing around with costume jewelry. I never wear t-shirts or sweats out of the house. I own a ton of jeans. I love dresses. I am obsessed with scarves. Especially ones with crazy patterns (this is wear a punk side of me sometimes comes out :P). I love love love sequins. I wear a lot of pencil skirts. Button down shirts are a must for me, but I don't usually wear flannel. I also love velvet! I hardly ever wear make-up because I just hate the idea. Plus it feels gross. I don't really wear belts. I love headbands.

I guess that basically sums me up lol. I just wanted to make my voice heard and put it out there that just because I love designers doesn't mean I have no "fashion" voice of my own. I am not a robot!! lol :P

Great topic!

mes. I have this weird combination; when i wear those things i never use make up haha and when i use makeup i never put any jewels on. Don't ask me why xD

Haha that's hilarious! I love Jack Skellington too xD

I feel like I have to stick up now myself now lol. Its not like I am a robot and I don't follow my own ideas. I just have a different approach to fashion then you. I like high couture fashion. I am into designers and labels. I love classy and elegant looks. But, that doesn't mean I just follow what someone else is telling me. I still wear what I want to wear. It all depends on my mood. Just because I like designers doesn't mean I don't have my own ideas. Just because I chose to wear more classy designs then edgy doesn't make me the same as everyone else. I still buy what I like. I still decide what I want to wear. With that being said, I couldn't be more opposite then you! lol, but that's what is so amazing about fashion. That is what is so amazing about this world. We both love fashion, but have a very different approach.

You are edgy punk, I am classic.

I wear a lot of heels. A lot of black and white. I like to have a pop of color like red or turquoise. I love jewelry. I love to wear huge rings and necklaces in crazy colors. I love playing around with costume jewelry. I never wear t-shirts or sweats out of the house. I own a ton of jeans. I love dresses. I am obsessed with scarves. Especially ones with crazy patterns (this is wear a punk side of me sometimes comes out :P). I love love love sequins. I wear a lot of pencil skirts. Button down shirts are a must for me, but I don't usually wear flannel. I also love velvet! I hardly ever wear make-up because I just hate the idea. Plus it feels gross. I don't really wear belts. I love headbands.

I guess that basically sums me up lol. I just wanted to make my voice heard and put it out there that just because I love designers doesn't mean I have no "fashion" voice of my own. I am not a robot!! lol :P

Great topic!

Aw, sweetie now I feel terrible! I didn't start this topic to be against the other one or in any kind of protest against "magazine fashion" (as I call it). It just felt like the other topic was more for fashion, the "real kind". Gawd I am terrible at explaining myself. What I'm trying to say here is that the kind of clothes that I (and some other people) wear and buy can't be found in fashion magazines, or possibly in any magazine and is different from what is "in". BUT of course even the "magazine fashion" is about your own style and the way you want to dress. There are so many people who can dress in fashion and do it originally, just look at Emma whose fashion-sense I adore.

I actually like heels myself, I just can't wear them :lol: They are in my wardrobe though... waiting for me...

Haha that's hilarious! I love Jack Skellington too xD

Aw, sweetie now I feel terrible! I didn't start this topic to be against the other one or in any kind of protest against "magazine fashion" (as I call it). It just felt like the other topic was more for fashion, the "real kind". Gawd I am terrible at explaining myself. What I'm trying to say here is that the kind of clothes that I (and some other people) wear and buy can't be found in fashion magazines, or possibly in any magazine and is different from what is "in". BUT of course even the "magazine fashion" is about your own style and the way you want to dress. There are so many people who can dress in fashion and do it originally, just look at Emma whose fashion-sense I adore.

I actually like heels myself, I just can't wear them :lol: They are in my wardrobe though... waiting for me...

NO!!! Don't feel bad at all! I am so sorry if I made you feel bad! I just felt the need to explain myself lol. Emma does have the best fashion sense... I want her wardrobe!

WEAR THEM!!! I hardly wear anything other then heels...

NO!!! Don't feel bad at all! I am so sorry if I made you feel bad! I just felt the need to explain myself lol. Emma does have the best fashion sense... I want her wardrobe!

WEAR THEM!!! I hardly wear anything other then heels...

Some of Emma's clothes are do die for :drool: Especially certain trench-coats! *cough*

About the heels, I feel like a little girl who's raided mummy's closet to dress up. It just feels so wrong. Also I seem to have nothing to wear them with. My favourite pair is a pair of wedges, really high cork-looking heel and light-brown colors straps. Not worn them once and I bought them a year ago. Of course it's too cold now but for summer... yeah, they're nice to look at though.

I have lots of random different clothes, I don't like one specific style only so I buy whatever I think looks good. I usually only buy colourful clothes though, I rarely wear just black and white.

Color's awesome B)

About the heels, I feel like a little girl who's raided mummy's closet to dress up. It just feels so wrong. Also I seem to have nothing to wear them with. My favourite pair is a pair of wedges, really high cork-looking heel and light-brown colors straps. Not worn them once and I bought them a year ago. Of course it's too cold now but for summer... yeah, they're nice to look at though.

I think the most important thing is to remember that you can wear heels with everything. If you feel like you are a little girl dressing up in your mum's shoes, you will look it. But, if you feel fierce... you will look fierce!

i do love the looks you were explaining in the first post, something i always like to stare at when i see someone dressed like that. It just isnt me, and i prefer designers. I adore flicking through fashion magazines, stumbling upon new designers so i buy their clothes because of how new and fresh their ideas are. Thats me, and my style.

But i do love the looks you described, but definitly couldnt see myself wearing any.

I think the most important thing is to remember that you can wear heels with everything. If you feel like you are a little girl dressing up in your mum's shoes, you will look it. But, if you feel fierce... you will look fierce!

I figured as much, but it's a difficult feeling to shake! For you, I'll try (again) come summer B)

i do love the looks you were explaining in the first post, something i always like to stare at when i see someone dressed like that. It just isnt me, and i prefer designers. I adore flicking through fashion magazines, stumbling upon new designers so i buy their clothes because of how new and fresh their ideas are. Thats me, and my style.

But i do love the looks you described, but definitly couldnt see myself wearing any.

Thank you! I think it's incredible how you guys can even afford designers. :blink: I can barely afford H&M! I'm a student but still...

I wanted to ask how come you can't see yourself in any other kind of clothes, but I suppose I'd have a hard time seeing myself in any kind of high fashion... if I had the money I'd probably buy designer wear though, but still choose items that I liked and match them in my own way!

Thank you! I think it's incredible how you guys can even afford designers. :blink: I can barely afford H&M! I'm a student but still...

I wanted to ask how come you can't see yourself in any other kind of clothes, but I suppose I'd have a hard time seeing myself in any kind of high fashion... if I had the money I'd probably buy designer wear though, but still choose items that I liked and match them in my own way!

Haha i get that a lot. Weirdly though its the norm where i live, i live in a very affulent village so im used to seeing WAGS dressed in the best of the best, business women dressed incredibly and the generation my age who are at uni all wear designer. Me included. Its just the way i see fashion, not that i dont wear Topshop/asos/H&M/etc because i do. But i like to mix it all up, wear a pair of sass and bide jeans with a topshop jumper and the the other way around.

My money is from my parents, but now its from my inheritence after my mum died. I dont go crazy with it. Id prefer to go crazy on asos.com tbh sometimes.

I dont strutt around the place wearing gaga high fashion, just love to wear jeans by sass and bide/rock and republic/Victoria beckham jeans are to die for too. Addicted to the look of ralph lauren right now, so im wearing a lot of Chino pants, jumpers, polo shirts, shirts etc.

The only reason I am so into designers is because of my mum. She was obsessed with vintage clothes and literally collecting vintage fashion. I just had to continue that. Its only me and my dad in my family so money tends not to be an issue. I also do mostly vintage shopping, and a lot of sample sales. I too wear a lot of the "regular" brands as well. I like to mix it up. A lot of the designer clothes I do own I never really wear. I collect it just like someone else would collect stamps ect. I have a lot of over the top stuff that I just love to look at. Its my hobby lol. I work, I save up. I befriended many many owners of vintage clothing shops. They always have me in mind when they get something new and give me great deals!

Haha i get that a lot. Weirdly though its the norm where i live, i live in a very affulent village so im used to seeing WAGS dressed in the best of the best, business women dressed incredibly and the generation my age who are at uni all wear designer. Me included. Its just the way i see fashion, not that i dont wear Topshop/asos/H&M/etc because i do. But i like to mix it all up, wear a pair of sass and bide jeans with a topshop jumper and the the other way around.

My money is from my parents, but now its from my inheritence after my mum died. I dont go crazy with it. Id prefer to go crazy on asos.com tbh sometimes.

I dont strutt around the place wearing gaga high fashion, just love to wear jeans by sass and bide/rock and republic/Victoria beckham jeans are to die for too. Addicted to the look of ralph lauren right now, so im wearing a lot of Chino pants, jumpers, polo shirts, shirts etc.

I see, yeah I suppose it's all about where you are from and your parents economy.

Admit thought that I am CRAZY about Seven for All Mankind. Their jeans rock and pretty much the only ones I can wear. I buy them online though, sort of second hand but people's rarely used them. Seven's opening a store here in Stockholm though pretty soon and I hope to be able to save up and go there when they open to get a perfect pair. :)

The only reason I am so into designers is because of my mum. She was obsessed with vintage clothes and literally collecting vintage fashion. I just had to continue that. Its only me and my dad in my family so money tends not to be an issue. I also do mostly vintage shopping, and a lot of sample sales. I too wear a lot of the "regular" brands as well. I like to mix it up. A lot of the designer clothes I do own I never really wear. I collect it just like someone else would collect stamps ect. I have a lot of over the top stuff that I just love to look at. Its my hobby lol. I work, I save up. I befriended many many owners of vintage clothing shops. They always have me in mind when they get something new and give me great deals!

That's awesome! Vintage's nice but I rarely find anything I feel worth the money haha. It's cool you collect clothes, an expensive but really nice "habit". :) I collect... dunno, movies, books? Haha

Grunge like this?

I really love this style but I can't wear it because I#m working at an office and looking like that would be really inapporiate.

For me no (maybe the girls to the far right and far left as an ok style), that's not the way I dress. That's what I'd call "new grunge" and it's more high fashion :P These girls wear heels and hats and shop at American Apparel (ish).

I'm more inspired by this

1990s-grunge-wear.jpg

Only I don't wear ripped/broken jeans, haha, just loose ones. I can't find any good pictures... basically a lot of black cotton stockings with various big flannels and boots or black ballerinas.

If you like the style don't let your work inhibit you to wear it, you just can't wear it AT work :)