The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Social Network

So I finally saw it. Well written script. I enjoy a lot of stuff David Fincher does, I think he's an underrated director. I know that much of the finer details of the film are fiction or speculation but it's still a good movie.

I saw recently where Zuckerberg is worth twelve and a half billion. That's BILLION with a B. That's retarded money. He was the youngest ever self made billionaire (meaning he didn't inherit the money). $12.5 Billion at the age of 26. That's insane.

Also, the soundtrack was good. Trent Reznor did a good job. It was a nice choice to get Reznor to do the soundtrack.

I thought it was a brilliant film. Although as Mark Zuckerberg didn't consent to the film being made, I wonder how much of what is shown is fact, and what has been added for dramatic effect. But after watching I decided I actually like MZ, even if he did 'steal' the initial idea. It's clear he's worked hard for facebook to become what it has become, and if those 2 Winklevoss twins owned facebook, I would be hesitant to use it as they just seem like complete tossers.

I think the major points are factual or at least fact based but the question of did Mark say this or did Eduardo give that look is speculation.

I'm undecided on how much Mark stole from the Winklevosses. If we're taking the movie as a basis of fact then I think they pushed Mark in a direction that he was already going. Their view of a social website was extremely limited. Mark realized what made it successful as in people wanted to see people they knew and making it like the college experience. What to include such as dating/single etc., what you're interested in and all that stuff was very astute by Mark. Also Mark's insistence that the site remain ad free for as long as possible and that they have the control over it instead of selling it off. So many times somebody comes up with an idea like this and then when a company offers to buy for a few million they sell out too early and the company that bought it ruins a once cool website.

Yep, it's clear that Mark has worked very hard to get where he is, and I have a lot of respect for him. It's kind of like the Winklevosses invented the wing, and Mark invented commercial aviation. He seems to have worked relentlessly for the past few years, adding huge new features and keeping facebook from having any downtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrwaJ--WsQA

I also thought Jesse Eisenberg had a tremendous performance, I only saw him in Zombieland before but I think he's proved his worth in The Social Network. He'll definitely have some huge projects coming his way I imagine.

• 12 years later...