The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Favorite Hp Quotes

I thought we might like to have a topic where we could share some of our favorite Harry Potter Quotes. Please just indicate if the quote comes from the books or the movies.

I'll kick it off with a quote from Order of the Phoenix that always made me laugh.

OOTP, Chapter 21, The Eye of the Snake, pg.462 (US version)

Harry "That's what they should teach us here, he thought, turning over onto his side,how girls' brains work...it'd be more useful than Divination anyway...

The only thing that Harry didn't realize in thinking those thoughts was that the subject matter would be just as complex as Divination and just as difficult to interprit as tea leaves and crystal balls. I would love to read the papers assigned for a class like that! :lol:

Ohh awesome topic ^_^

I'm reading OOTP for the first proper time right now, the first real time I read it I didn't find it interesting :ph34r: But there's some hilarious parts :P

So I'll start with those I love (so far) from Order of the Phoenix:

Page 17 - Dudley Demented

'Hey, Big D!'

Dudley turned.

'Oh,' he grunted. 'It's you.'

'How long have you been "Big D" then?' said Harry.

'Shut ot,; snarled Dudley, turning away.

'Cool name,' said Harry, grinning and falling into step beside his cousin. 'But you'll always be "Ickle Diddykins" to me.'

'I said, SHUT IT!' said Dudley, whose ham-like hands had curled into fists.

'Don't the boys know that's what your mum calls you?'

'Shut your face.'

'You don't tell her to shut her face. What about "popkin" and "Dinky Diddydums", can I use them then?'

Dudley said nothing. The effort of keeping himself from hitting Harry seemed to demand all his self-control.

'So who've you been beating up tonight?' Harry asked, his grin fading. 'Another ten-year-old? I know you did Mark Evans two nights ago -'

'He was asking for it,' snarled Dudley.

'Oh yeah?'

'He cheeked me.'

'Yeah? Did he say you look like a pig that's been taught to walk on it's hind legs? 'Cause that's not cheek, Dud, that's true.'

--

Page 143/144 - The Woes of Mrs Weasley - When Harry won his hearing and Ginny and the twins were chanting this when the adults were having serious discussions:

'HE GOT OFF, HE GOT OFF, HE GOT OFF ...'

'SHUT UP!' roared Mrs Weasley.

<3 lol

Half Blood Prince movie:

Slughorn: Harry!

Harry: Sir!

Slughorn: It's nearly night fall. Surely you realize I can't allow you go roaming around by yourself.

Harry: Then by all means, come along sir!

--

Luna: I've never been to this part of the castle. At least not while awake. I sleep walk, you see. That's why I wear shoes to bed.

Deathly Hallows:

Page 48 - The Seven Potters

Fred and George turned to each other and said together, 'Wow - we're identical!'

'I dunno, though, I think I'm still better-looking,' said Fred, examining his reflection in the kettle.

--

There was the sound of pattering feet, a blaze of shining copper, an echoing clang, and a shriek of agony: Kreacher had taken a run at Mundungus and hit him over the head with a saucepan.

'Call 'im off, call 'im off, 'e should be locked up!' screamed Mundungus, cowering as Kreacher raised the heavy-bottomed pan again.

'Kreacher, no!' Shouted Harry.

Kreacher's thin arms trembled with the weight of the pan, still held aloft. 'Perhaps just one more, Master Harry, for luck?'

Ron laughed.

'We need him conscious, Kreacher, but if he needs persuading you can do the honors,' said Harry.

'Thank you very much, Master.'

--

Mrs Weasley: 'NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU B****!'

Prisoner of Azkaban:

Page 194 - Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw

'That was quite some Patronus' said a voice in Harry's ear.

Harry turned to see Professor Lupin, who looked both shaken and pleased.

'The Dementors didn't affect me at all!' Harry said excitedly. 'I didn't feel a thing!'

'That would be because they - er - weren't Dementors,' said Professor Lupin. 'Come and see -'

He led Harry out of the crowd until they were able to see the edge of the pitch.

'You gave Mr Malfoy quite a fright,' said Lupin.

Harry stared. Lying in a crumpled heap on the ground were Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle and Marcus Flint, the Slytherin team captain, all struggling to remove themselves from long, black hooded robes. It looked as though Malfoy had been standing on Goyle's shoulders. Standing over them with an expression of the utmost fury on her face, was Professor McGonagall. (...)

I could go on forever :whaa:

A few of my favourites, all from the books :D

'If you want to know what a man's like, take a look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals'. (Sirius Black)

'To the well organised mind, death is nothing but the next great adventure'. (A. Dumbledore)

'It's our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are far more than our abilities'. (A. Dumbledore)

'Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest pleasure'. (R. Ravenclaw)

Thanks to Jon who kindly reminded me to post them!

• 5 months later...

The Philosopher's Stone movie

Hermione: Now i'm going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed - or worse expelled

Ron:She needs to sort out her priorities :D

Another Hermione line from same movie

'Honestly don't you two read?' Haha

and from OOTP movie

Hermione: (to Ron) Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon

and who can forget Deathly Hallows Part 2 movie

Mrs Weasley:Not my Daughter,you Bitch!!! :D

hah !!! theres so many... id have to re he heally narrow it down...mmm

PS. Dumbledores whole speech about the mirror of erised, so true, and incredible.

COS...Dumbledore again...'it is not our abilities that show who we truly are, it is our choices'

POA. i looof the song in the beginning. love the lyrics. :D

GOF, hehe...when harry tells neville he's really not interested in plants..."now, if there's a...Tebetan ...Turnip !???" lol

OOTP. - Prophecy !.

HBP. 'u dare use my own spells against me?? IM the half blood prince !" muwhaha

DH - everything ! :lostit: ..... 'after all this time? ...."always" :sob: ....

"take them...." ....

Edited by hpgeekforever

Pretty much any line spoken by Albus Dumbledore. :P Still, here are a few of my favourites:

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that."
"Do I look stupid?" snarled Uncle Vernon, a bit of fried egg dangling from his bushy mustache.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
Fred looked across the hall at the poltergeist bobbing on his level above the crowd. "Give her hell from us, Peeves." And Peeves, whom Harry had never seen take an order from a student before, swept his belled hat from his head and sprang to a salute as Fred and George wheeled about to tumultuous applause from the students below and sped out of the open front doors into the glorious sunset.
"People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right."
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

This is not a funny quote, but it's a wonderful one, if you ask me. Maybe it's because it's said by Michael Gambon (who's brilliant in my opinion), I don't know, it just moves me.

From OotP movie:

"Harry...it isn't how you are alike. It's how you are not."

I don't know why but it does something to me :blush:.

• 3 weeks later...

*Looks at my previous post* Went a little overboard, huh?

"Another ten points from Gryffindor. I would expect nothing more sophisticated from you, Ronald Weasley, the boy so solid he cannot Apparate half an inch across a room."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

there are two lines from the last film that i wish could be put in the book. i know Jo Rowling probably wishes she had thought of it.

when Lily says "always" to Harry, in the resurrection stone scene, in DHP2.

Severus Snape's last words to Harry, "you have your mother's eyes" in DHP2

• 3 months later...