The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson Perks of Being a Wallflower

Hey :) the book hits alot on teen issues-I really believe every teen and those of us once in our teens will be able to identify with the characters one way or another. Sam was actually my favorite character way before knowing this was even being made into a movie as I read the book months before it was in talks as a movie. So knowing Emma will play Sam makes it rhat much more exciting :) yes def am eager and curious to see how Emma will play Sam too!

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for sure it does! And I really enjoyed those topics that were addressed! I think it's great for teens. So weird to be referring to teens as I am technically not one anymore :( . I really enjoyed the book! I just thought some parts were weird. I also loved Sam. I liked all 3 of their little group a lot. I also feel a lot like a wallflower myself at times. It was interesting for me to read about it.

Oh for sure it does! And I really enjoyed those topics that were addressed! I think it's great for teens. So weird to be referring to teens as I am technically not one anymore :( . I really enjoyed the book! I just thought some parts were weird. I also loved Sam. I liked all 3 of their little group a lot. I also feel a lot like a wallflower myself at times. It was interesting for me to read about it.

It really is an eye opener to what teens went through then (I was a teen in the 90's) to what teens go through now-seems like things dont change sadly :( I loved the book but ITA about some parts being weird-I did shake my head at some parts...overall the book was reminscent of my teen years-I think every issue they addressed I experienced in some form or another personally or by friends. Their lil group was interesting LOL...I think Charlie being with them was an added lil quirk have to say LOL...I think at some point we all feel like wallflowers-I know I did in elementary school!

It really is an eye opener to what teens went through then (I was a teen in the 90's) to what teens go through now-seems like things dont change sadly :( I loved the book but ITA about some parts being weird-I did shake my head at some parts...overall the book was reminscent of my teen years-I think every issue they addressed I experienced in some form or another personally or by friends. Their lil group was interesting LOL...I think Charlie being with them was an added lil quirk have to say LOL...I think at some point we all feel like wallflowers-I know I did in elementary school!

Yeah it's kind of sad but also in a weird way comforting. Sad, because nothing has gotten better for teens. Comforting, because you know you aren't the only person dealing with these issues. I think that's why this book is so great. So teens know they aren't alone. Often that is one of the biggest issues. I agree that all the issues seemed very relevant. The group was great, so many different personalities. I definetly relate to Charlie. I often feel like I am more of an observer at times. I think that is just my personality. Oh an my dad is a lot like his dad. So that part was interesting for me as well. Its fun to read a book and think,"oh I'm like that or my friend is like this character".

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friends and I saw it and OMG I love Emma as Hermione and always will love her as Hermione WEASLEY ;) But hello to Emma's post Potter career--she was AMAZING-her accent was awesome, her acting was unbelievably beautiful and so real. Logan Lerman, have to say I am not a fan of but he blew me away as Charlie. Ezra Miller-was hysterical and very moving.

The movie was very true to the book, it was very emotional and moving. We cried LOL-we were crying...I can see this being a huge hit-go and see it if it is near by you!!!!! GO EMMA!!!!!!!

SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friends and I saw it and OMG I love Emma as Hermione and always will love her as Hermione WEASLEY ;) But hello to Emma's post Potter career--she was AMAZING-her accent was awesome, her acting was unbelievably beautiful and so real. Logan Lerman, have to say I am not a fan of but he blew me away as Charlie. Ezra Miller-was hysterical and very moving.

The movie was very true to the book, it was very emotional and moving. We cried LOL-we were crying...I can see this being a huge hit-go and see it if it is near by you!!!!! GO EMMA!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more, the film is fantastic, reminds me a little of the Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles era of John Hughes.

The cast are fantastic, great chemistry. Emma proves she definitely has a great career ahead of her as indeed does Ezra Miller and probably too Logan Lerman.

I feel the tone of the book is more depressing than the tone of the film, no bad thing of course. Obviously parts of the book have had to be cut (e.g: Candace's big storyline). I like Logan, but just feel he cannot quite project the pain that Charlie feels. But as I say the film is slightly more light hearted than the book, so this isn't a big issue at all :)

Everyone should definitely go see it \o/

Ugh, I've been waiting forever for this movie and it finally comes out Friday... but I won tickets to see it tonight! And I can't go because I am SO sick. This is the worst. :'(

Ugh, I've been waiting forever for this movie and it finally comes out Friday... but I won tickets to see it tonight! And I can't go because I am SO sick. This is the worst. :'(

ouchies! get better!

Jo had me nearly convinced to just drag myself there while on my death bed, so I phoned them to see if my dad could pick up tix before 5 since he'd be on his way home (and their office closes at 5, and I couldn't get there in time), but nobody answered and nobody has called me back. :( Life ruiners! Now I will need to see it with everyone else on Friday which isn't something I do often... I don't think I've had to pay to see a movie in the cinema since DH2! :sweatdrop:

Perks opens in Germany in November, but in the trailer the dubbed voices sound a bit off. Especially Logan whose voice is so fitting for a timid teen, he sounds like a class clown now. It's something minor but it really bugs me and I think I'll wait for the DVD.

Couldn't agree more, the film is fantastic, reminds me a little of the Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles era of John Hughes.

The cast are fantastic, great chemistry. Emma proves she definitely has a great career ahead of her as indeed does Ezra Miller and probably too Logan Lerman.

I feel the tone of the book is more depressing than the tone of the film, no bad thing of course. Obviously parts of the book have had to be cut (e.g: Candace's big storyline). I like Logan, but just feel he cannot quite project the pain that Charlie feels. But as I say the film is slightly more light hearted than the book, so this isn't a big issue at all :)

Everyone should definitely go see it \o/

EXACTLY my feelings Jo!!! :) I LOVED it...seeing it again!!!!! Right now it is playing at our local indie theater but it is close by...Emma more than proved her post Potter career with this performance...she just nails Sam...

Yeah the book was def alot more depressing but I think this is why I loved the movie better :) It was def more upbeat but oh wow I cried still-you will know when the sadness hits for anyone who has not read the Perks book. This is def a worth seeing more than once movie :) I only did that for the Potter movies but will SO be doing the same for Perks...waiting for my next set of friends to come into town... Btw the music ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!! COME ON EILEEN ;)

VERY reminscent of the John Hughs movies-enjoyed this alot more than Breakfast Club and I loved BC!

I've got my tickets for tonight. :D

YEAH GO LING!!!!! :) Report back :) I have already seen it and will be seeing it again...we were supposed to see it tonight but had to reschedule.

Edited by cbmac12

Okay I am back! I will stick this under a spoiler. It's not very spoiler-y, but just in case anyone is REALLY dead set against being spoiled!

So, I read this book when I was very young. It was brand new, so I must have been 11 or 12. Obviously, I couldn't relate to a lot of aspects of it back then, but then I sort of "grew into it" and it was one of my favourites and now that I've been out of high school for 5 years it's pretty nostalgic. So I had a lot riding on this movie. I had imagined it being made for so long. Emma being attached, and being someone whose work I admire, was really just a bonus.

First, for staying true to the story, I must applaud Stephen Chbosky. I know he was at an advantage because of his extremely fortunate position as author, screenwriter and director, but even with what I'm sure was a lot of pressure to get a PG-13 rating and to keep the story relatively streamlined, he was able to recreate this whole immersive experience that was very true to the book. I should note that I brought my parents along to view the film with me; my mom had read the book while my father had not. I was worried that there might be too many blanks to fill in that would only have been possible if one had read the book, and was unsure how I would gauge the difference. But my father enjoyed the movie, he didn't find anything to feel "missing." I was extremely impressed in that regard.

Logan and Ezra were incredible. While Jo said she felt Logan could not project the pain that Charlie feels, I feel that was what he was going for. Charlie doesn't really feel his own pain for the majority of the film; he's very much this shell of a person, not experiencing things firsthand, with many of his emotions pushed to the background. And I thought Logan portrayed that beautifully. As for Ezra, his range is incredible. One second he's comic relief, the next he's in so much pain that my chest hurt. As a member of the LGBTQ community I can't even really describe the impact a character like Patrick can have. As you can imagine, LGBTQ youth spend a lot of time in the media being portrayed as either a stereotype or a victim, but I don't feel like Patrick was either. He's very real and three-dimensional in a world where LGBTQ characters are often almost used as props. And Ezra absolutely nailed it.

And, of course, Emma. At first I found her accent to be a bit jarring. It definitely improved midway (or I was more immersed in the film and didn't notice as much). There were a few things that sounded funny. But I mean, it's her first film with an American accent and it there wasn't a ton of time to learn, so I can forgive. And, as I said, by the half way point I'd mostly forgotten. I think she did an excellent job as Sam and a few scenes stood out to me, such as both bedroom scenes and the cafeteria scene. She's very good at building the emotion behind a scene and letting it slowly bubble to the surface, which is a key part of the character of Sam because I feel like Sam is never hysterical, it's always like she's trying to keep things under control to show she's not who she was as a freshman and she sort of takes a few calculated steps before breaking through the walls she's built into these moments of complete honesty. I really felt that with Emma as Sam. They put attention on Charlie as being the wallflower, but I felt like I could see Sam's mind working in her eyes especially while she's watching and understanding Charlie. So I was very impressed with Emma's performance, which was so SO important to me, since Sam is a character I still relate with all this time later. Even with Logan and Ezra being as perfect as they are, I don't think the movie would have lived up to my expectations had I not been able to form the same connection with the character of Sam in the movie as the one I have with Sam in the book.

Edited by ling

AWESOME review Ling!! :) I dont want to give too much away seeing as you did put it under spoilers...but again I will say this I walked in expecting to see Emma as Hermione in some ways...by the middle of the movie I forgot it was Emma I was watching!! This was SAM I saw...She blew me away with her emotions and just everything...her dancing moves-she needs to do more to show her dancing skills ;)

I HAVE SINCE PERKS 4X ALREADY GREAT COMING OF AGE STORY, CHARACTERS ARE WELL DEVELOPED, ACTING IS GREAT BUT THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN THE 3 REMIND ME OF THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN EMMA, DAN & RUPERT WHICH WAS GREAT, ALSO THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN EMMA & LOGAN OMG.............. :lostit:

This movie didn't come out in Slovenia :(

But it doesn't matter, I will read the book first.

Unfortunatly there is no release date announced so far for Slovenia. But in Austria in starts on the 1st of November. So if you are not too far away from the border, Perks will start here soon!

Unfortunatly there is no release date announced so far for Slovenia. But in Austria in starts on the 1st of November. So if you are not too far away from the border, Perks will start here soon!

I think I will have to download the movie illegaly. :(