The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson Perks of Being a Wallflower

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said if you have not seen it yet, SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Pre-ordering as soon as it comes to DVD!!!! :) I was watching Breakfast Club the other day on cable-such a good movie and Perks really is the Breakfast Club of today :)

• 2 months later...

Finally saw it!!! It was one of the options of movies on my flight home from Israel.

This movie exceeded my expectations. It was fabulous! Emma was amazing! Perfect role for her! I definitely think it was a challenging role too. All the actors were perfect. I loved it!!

Very close to the book as well which is always wonderful.

She really shined in this movie!

I laugh at people that said she was going to fade away after Harry Potter was over :lol:

:ph34r: I would have liked to keep the 18 yr old Emma in my memory...but I always knew she was better than that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MINE CAME!!!!!!!! Perks movie watching tonight!!! WOHOOOOOOO "We are infinite" I love that line and of course "we accept the love we think we think we deserve"...for anyone who has not seen Perks yet, SEE IT...not just because Emma is in it (although double bonus :)) but because it is so well acted by everyone, written, directed...just A grade movie!!

I'm still waiting for my copy to come in the mail.

I've held off on seeing this movie. I wanted to see it in the theaters, but didn't want to illegally download it. Things have been so crazy with college that I just never did.

I'll have a copy in my hands either today, or Tuesday at the latest. ;)

That's awesome dook!!! :) I did hot chocolate and cookies ;) LOVE this movie...my best friend didnt see it yet (I KNOW!) so we will be watching it next week. I keep telling her it is truly the Breakfast Club of the 2000's! :)

I watched it, and loved it. :)

I may not be the target audience, but I do remember what it was like to be a teenager, and it definitely echoed a lot of what I went through. It was also very touching and moving; I can see a lot of adults being able to relate to it, as well as kids.

My 13 year old niece saw it come in the mail, and she's begging me to let her see it now. Apparently her class has been talking about the book.

It's a nice movie to see Emma in, after HP. I can't wait until The Bling Ring and Noah come out, though, and I can see her in more adult roles.

Edited by ShipOfFools

It is very appropriate for the teens as young as 13...it is very touching but not cheesy or overly dramatic. I mean I was very impressed when I saw it the first time! As I said Emma in it was a double bonus but the movie itself was worth seeing even if Emma wouldnt have done it. Although now I cant see anyone else as Sam! :) I am with you! I cant wait to see when Bling Ring comes out and Noah too...Bling Ring I am very eager to see-the premise is unreal! Plus seeing Emma in this VERY different role will be so much fun to watch!

It is very appropriate for the teens as young as 13

I'm not sure, I'll have to think about it. I'd love to let her see it, but there's a lot of sex talk, plus the scenes where many of the characters are in their underwear.

If I was her parent, I'd be skeptical. I know my sister would probably let her see it, judging by some of the other movies she's let her see, but I don't want my niece to grow up too quickly.

Irregardless, it's a wonderful movie, and I'll be watching it again. The best part was that it came with an UV/iTunes code, so now I have two digital copies plus the DVD.

I completely get what you mean. The movie is definitely alot tamer than the book was, no question. If I had a niece as young as 13, I would let them see it. Theres not alot of cussing and like I said the scenes are tame for most part. But I get what you mean about some of the other scenes.

I'd seen an ad on TV for it and it said something to the effect of it being this generations Breakfast Club. After seeing Perks, I think it measures up. Emma's American accent needs some work but you get used to it as the movie goes along. She still tends to enunciate words a little too perfect for it to sound American.

Does anyone else find it interesting that Perks deals with sexual molestation of minors by adults and there are two characters who go to Penn State? Seems a bit prescient knowing what we know now, doesn't it?

As far as letting a 13 year old see it, I agree with SoF. If my daughter were 13, I wouldn't let her watch it. Characters talking about having sex using sandwich bags as condoms, drug use etc. You don't want your kids to grow up too fast. We're given this precious little time to be young and not have to worry about things that are part of everyday adult life. What's the problem with letting kids be kids a little longer? If you pour too much onto kids too early, you're giving them too much knowledge with little or no frame of reference and no experience to draw upon to deal with that knowledge and those problems. There's plenty of time to be a grown up. But once a child loses their innocence, it's gone forever. You can never get it back. No one understands what "youth is wasted on the young" means until it's too late for that phrase to do you any good.

Thank you, TheDude. You put into words what I was trying to say, but probably would not have said as well.

And I agree...it's a good movie, but I wouldn't let anybody under the age of, say, 15 or 16 see it, if it were my kid. I have no children, so it's moot, but it's just my opinion. Anything past that age, it's most definitely appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

My full review, my draft for college.

The opening sequence was a little disappointing, not only was it the same as Atonement (type writer sound and text font) but, the footage used afterwards was enough to make you feel quizzically sick. This brings me to my next point that some of the cinematography was a little off. Some shots used were terrible and lighting in others was way too low key. This allows the consumer not able to see the character or sets properly. It did not seem coherent. However, the non-diegetic music was lovely and the key theme song fit the narrative well.

The narrating was okay; it suited the theme of the film, which is growing up in high school. I admit I was waiting for something to happen at first. The film was slow and did not have much of a storyline, however it had a narrative journey and its the motive that needs to be paid attention to, (the reason for his black outs.) Sadly, they used a very common book to study, To Kill A Mockingbird. This book seems to be in every single high school based programme or film. His life at the beginning is pretty much stereotypical of every student who is bullied or left alone. As depressing and formidable as it was, it is very true to real life. I very much like how Charlie started his awkward conversation with Patrick, it was once again realistic. Once Sam was introduced the narrative picked up a little and the film became more interesting.

I like the way the characters were introduced and the actors used for certain characters. Especially, Mr Anderson, Charlie’s sister, Candace and obviously Sam. However I wish I could have seen more of Candace. Emma’s acting overall was brilliant, however, to me her American accent deemed terrible. Whether it be that she cannot do one OR that I am not used to her with one. I did not like it, but hey she needed it for the role. I won’t be too picky on it as her acting overall was good. I like how the group of friends are an awkward trio and weren’t afraid to be different. The story line is completely messed up but it is one that needs to be told. No matter how brutal it is.

I would give this film an overall rating of 7/10. I have not read the book so I cannot be critical of the adaptation.

I watched it recently and I did like it, did not love it though. I thought it was a bit slow sometimes, but in the end a very sweet/sad and beautiful movie. As for Emma, I think she was alright. I did think that the other actors were more believeable and natural, but she is getting there. :)

I watched it recently and I did like it, did not love it though. I thought it was a bit slow sometimes, but in the end a very sweet/sad and beautiful movie. As for Emma, I think she was alright. I did think that the other actors were more believeable and natural, but she is getting there. :)

Agreed. You summed up my review well. >.< Straight to the point.

I finally watched it too and I think it's a good movie. I haven't read the book, so I can't decide how well the movie follows it. Well it is sometimes a bit slow, but then some scenes are bit to short and to fast and sometimes they end to abruptly. But yes it was a great movie, with great actors. Emma did very good, but in sometimes the other actors where still a little bit better. At the end I was a bit sad that it was over already. I will definitely watch it a second time.