The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson Perks of Being a Wallflower

We know for sure that she would be in MWWM from the film company's news press but not Emma herself. I think this time will be the same LOL

About the filming time, I think the author(he's also the director of the film) is more believable. And Emma will end her exams in May and leave the uni so I think this time is proper for her to film.

I've finished the book recently. It's somewhat too 'teen' to me LOL. But I like Sam, she's a beautiful, considerate girl with wild rebellious nature, a big difference from Hermione. I'm so excited to see how Emma will perform this role :ohyeah:

PS, Sam will have several kiss scenes with Charlie, the male leading played by Logan Lerman. In the final of book, they will have some hot snogging scene, I think the fanboys will be overjoyed to see Emma in them :lol:

I agree that May would be the best time to start filming, since she'll be wrapping up her second year at Brown around that time and DH2 doesn't come out until July. Although early January sounds credible as well as she will still be on break and she might be done filming the epilogue by then. We'll have to wait for more information though.

And thanks for telling me that. Now I'll once again be kicking myself for not auditioning for a role which requires kissing Emma.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But early January maybe too short for filming. Despite this film is an indie and Sam is a supporting role(although she's the female leading actually), I think she will still need four or five weeks to make it. If the DH2 reshoot won't take too long, she can do it. But the reshoot will take her two weeks, I doubt she will have enough time to do another movie in such a short winter break then.

Whatever, let's wait and see, winter break is not too far away lol.

I just thought that if Emma does PoBaWF, it's another movie adaptation of a book: HP, Ballet Shoes, TToD, MWWM... Clearly, it's a good career strategy, it's been working for Keira and so far Emma has made really good (and rather unexpected) choices :)

But early January maybe too short for filming. Despite this film is an indie and Sam is a supporting role(although she's the female leading actually), I think she will still need four or five weeks to make it. If the DH2 reshoot won't take too long, she can do it. But the reshoot will take her two weeks, I doubt she will have enough time to do another movie in such a short winter break then.

Whatever, let's wait and see, winter break is not too far away lol.

Didn't know the epilogue would be taking two weeks. Yeah she probably wouldn't be able to film everything then. But we'll see what happens.

It' a pain in the ass that it's reached the point that we have to wait until official sources confirm something because we can't trust any other source due to conflicting information.

Why not just talk to the people that are known involved with the project or linked to it, and film the interview and post it on your site and avoid this "I heard this somewhere" or "I talked to someone who says they know some guy and they said this" nonsense. Are they that damn lazy or are they just more interested in spreading rumors than actuall giving people useful information?

Edited by KS987

I so hope she's doing this film. I've read that primary shooting will begin in May. Which will be good seeing how Emma will be on summer break. Also I think she will make a wonderful "Sam". I loved this book and I liked it a lot better than "Catcher in the Rye" in that book the main character "Holden" seems a bit spoiled. Though I think this is the point and he's finding himself not wanting to do what's expected of him because to him it's all plastic and fake. However, in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" Charlie's character has a real reason for feeling so depressed and suicidal. He was molested by his Aunt when he was very small and then she died in a car accident while getting him a birthday present. Even though he loves her he hates her at the same time...very understandable. Then when he finally gets to be in an intimate situation with the girl he's in love with "Sam" he finds he can't because of hidden memories of the molestation coming out during his almost "making love" with Sam. Sam is very sweet to Charlie. She let's him know that it's okay that he's not ready and that she understands, which, is why she thinks he changes his mind. Also the first kiss between Sam and Charlie is really sweet. She tells him that she wants his first kiss to be with someone who really loves him and not like it was with her when she was seven by her dad's friend, and she's crying when she kisses him and you can tell that for him it's the best most wonderful kiss ever and that he's very much in love with her.

^Yes, what Sam did for Charlie is very sweet. She also told Charlie that he should be honest to himself which help him blending in school finally. that's why I say she's a considerate person despite all these rebellious behaviour, especially when you think she herself had a bad memory back to childhood.

So there's no surprise that in Charlie's eyes, Sam is the most beautiful and clever girl he's ever met. I'd say this is one of the reasons I want to see Emma as Sam, she is also beautiful and clever :)

• 2 weeks later...

From the latest issue of Production Weekly, a professional insider publication, Emma was confirmed on the cast list of TPOBAW:

“THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWERâ€

PRODUCER: John Malkovich - Lianne Halfon - Russell Smith WRITER/DIRECTOR: Stephen Chbosky

CAST: Emma Watson - Logan Lerman

This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.

I heard a rumour on another message board that the role of Sam will require Emma to do a nude scene. Can someone who has read the books confirm or deny this?

Personally i hope that it doesn't involve a nude scene as while i don't have a problem with Emma doing nude scenes later on in her career i think it is a bit to soon after Harry Potter for her to do something like that.

Sam has some passionate scenes with Charlie towards the end of the book (and yeah, they took off their clothes finally) and Charlie once heard her having sex with her then boyfreind. If the director wants to present those scenes properly, he may require Emma give some daring performance.

But you should remember, the book itself was banned from public libraries as it firstly published in 90s so it's obviously not children book. It's more adult and controversial.

Personally I'm glad Emma is considering a more complicated and adult role after 10 years playing the same character.

Edited by shiningmoment

Sam has some passionate scenes with Charlie towards the end of the book (and yeah, they took off their clothes finally) and Charlie once heard her having sex with her then boyfreind. If the director wants to present those scenes properly, he may require Emma give some daring performance.

But you should remember, the book itself was banned from public libraries as it firstly published in 90s so it's obviously not children book. It's more adult and controversial.

Personally I'm glad Emma is considering a more complicated and adult role after 10 years playing the same character.

Well Emma did say this in a interview only 6 weeks ago

----------------------------

"I'm not going to get my kit off or snort cocaine in a film, just to leave Hermione behind," she told The Sunday Times magazine. "I'm not going to do something shocking because I'm so paranoid or insecure that I can't play another role convincingly. I don't want everyone to forget me as Hermione. I'm really proud of her."

----------------------------

so hopefully that means for now that she isn't considering doing roles that require nudity. Even if Sam does get naked in the book there are plenty of ways to film such a scene without actually showing anything (more often than not in Hollywood nude or sex scenes don't show anything compared to the ones that actually show nudity).

Just because Sam and Charlie remove their shirts in the book doesn't mean that Emma will show her chest. Look at DH... Emma and Dan kiss shirtless but they only show Emma's back. The same can be done in Perks. Nudity isn't required for intimate scenes. The film will probably get an R rating due to the Drugs but still if filmed in a specific manner it could achieve a PG-13 rating instead of R. Though considering the context of the film with sexual abuse, drug abuse, and hints of suicide, I believe it'll be R. Audiances are intelligent enough to know what's going on without a complete visual. ;) Also Charlie only hears Sam having sex with her boyfriend he doesn't actually see them. A few places are now saying Emma is confirmed. Hope so. Fingers crossed. Scenes can be shot now since Dh is through and then they can finish up in May when Emma's off for summer break. Anything's possible.

If she is, then I believe it would only be a small part (like in My Week with Marilyn). According to IMdB, The main cast members have been chosen (Brad, Sam, Bill, Bill (not a mistake), and Katie Stevens. It also states that it will be released in 2011 (November 4, 2011 USA). However, according to the same page it is still in Pre-Production (the movie hasn't begun filming). So, if she is in it, then it will be a small role.

If she is, then I believe it would only be a small part (like in My Week with Marilyn). According to IMdB, The main cast members have been chosen (Brad, Sam, Bill, Bill (not a mistake), and Katie Stevens. It also states that it will be released in 2011 (November 4, 2011 USA). However, according to the same page it is still in Pre-Production (the movie hasn't begun filming). So, if she is in it, then it will be a small role.

IMDB isn't the most credible source. There hasn't been an official announcement and there isn't any source linking any of those people to this movie, so it's probably a fake cast that someone made up for whatever reason. While the other sources that claim Emma is going to play Sam in the movie aren't official confirmations, they are a bit more reliable than a list with no evidence to support it.

IMDB isn't the most credible source. There hasn't been an official announcement and there isn't any source linking any of those people to this movie, so it's probably a fake cast that someone made up for whatever reason. While the other sources that claim Emma is going to play Sam in the movie aren't official confirmations, they are a bit more reliable than a list with no evidence to support it.

I see what you mean. IMdB is just a preference of mine. I don't know why, but I always go there before anywhere else.

Yes, she does't want people forget her as Hermione but it doesn't mean she won't try other characters and be regarded as a real actress other than the typecasted one-character-in-life-sensation. Otherwise she won't consider a role like Sam who's very different from Hermione.

You can keep your old screen images forever in history but at the same time, just keeping on and improving as a broading actress in future. It's not conflicted at all.

Of course that doesn't mean I don't agree that the nude scene can be made tastefully or even not shown directly. But if the director wants it, I doubt Emma would refuse it just because she wants to be stick in one role forever.

Edited by shiningmoment

I see what you mean. IMdB is just a preference of mine. I don't know why, but I always go there before anywhere else.

Production Weekly is far far far more reliable than IMDB which anyone who has a IMDBPRO account can edit without any authentication.

The 'cast' on IMDB is totally a joke. Like, Bill, a high school teacher who's from Brown graduate school will be played by an actor who was born in 1992. Sorry, it's just a ridiculous joke.

Emma is back in the US.We don't know why yet, whether it's just for vacation or because she is working on something. Some sources claimed that Perks was supposed to begin filming this month, so maybe that's why she's back so soon. We'll have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys see this !

From Snitchseeker: Emma Watson @EmWatson 's reps have asked us to assure fans that she is "constantly reading scripts;" there are "no projects in the pipeline at present."

Does this confirm that she wont be in Perks? :(

If that's the case why did they want until NOW to say Emma had no projects when we've been trying to figure this out for months? I would assume it was to debunk the other role rumor but I wonder why they didn't do it for Perks earlier?

Well, if's she's not in this movie then that sucks. At least My Week With Marilyn worked out, but I was hoping for another major role.