The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Would You Call Your Child Emma?

Baby Emma?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't know what my wife's name will be... but if Emma is a name considered for my child, I would definitely support it. Normally I wouldn't have thought twice about that name but when I think about it. Emma is a very lovely name, yet so simple. That name isn't really a common name either (at least not here); and with all the Brittanys and Britneys 'round here, I think it would set itself apart from the rest. :P

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The etymology would be the most important if I were to choose a name. Emma means whole, universal and is derived from the Germanic word ermen, introduced to England by Emma of Normandy. For more details, search the internet – the point is that I like it regardless of its connection to Miss Watson. Some are very close, though, such as Max Power or Buzz Killington. (That was a joke.)

I think Emma would be a great name for my daughter if I had one.

Unless I somehow managed to overcome the odds and marry Emma Watson. Then I would have to pick something different :P

You wont have to worry about that last bit mate...

But Yeah I would name my girl Emma, Its a nice name

Well...I haven't graducted.Emma is a lovely name but it's too common.People with unusual names is better remembered than those with ordinary names.(Just like my teacher,he couldn't remember my name.)And unluckily,my English name is Emma.

Well...I haven't graducted.Emma is a lovely name but it's too common.People with unusual names is better remembered than those with ordinary names.(Just like my teacher,he couldn't remember my name.)And unluckily,my English name is Emma.

How can you convert Chinese names? While your names generally express personal attributes (adjectives) and it would be possible to find a match based on etymology of the word Emma, it would not be a conversion of the name itself, but a mere translation of the word it has been derived from—in this case ermen—to Chinese. As an example of a proper conversion, take the Hebrew name Joseph, whose variant forms are e.g. Giuseppe, Jozef, Iosef or Jose – all of them with the same etymology.

How can you convert Chinese names? While your names generally express personal attributes (adjectives) and it would be possible to find a match based on etymology of the word Emma, it would not be a conversion of the name itself, but a mere translation of the word it has been derived from—in this case ermen—to Chinese. As an example of a proper conversion, take the Hebrew name Joseph, whose variant forms are e.g. Giuseppe, Jozef, Iosef or Jose – all of them with the same etymology.

Nonono you're wrong,my primary school teacher named me Emma.Most young people in China have a English name in order to communicate with foreigners more easily,cause Chinese names are hard for foreigners to pronounce.My Chinese name is Wang Xiaoyuan,it's totally different from Emma.

Nonono you're wrong,my primary school teacher named me Emma.Most young people in China have a English name in order to communicate with foreigners more easily,cause Chinese names are hard for foreigners to pronounce.My Chinese name is Wang Xiaoyuan,it's totally different from Emma.

Understood. Why was it not your parents who had given you an English name, but a primary school teacher?

Understood. Why was it not your parents who had given you an English name, but a primary school teacher?

Well...It's kinda like...If you're an American,your parents certainly won't give you a Russian or Arabic name.And in primary,I had a Canadian teacher...so.. :unsure:

I don't understand why some people say this name doesn't sound good in Dutch, I mean, does it have a difference of pronounciation in English and in Dutch?

Only seeing this now! I understand your point, but I do believe it does sound different a tiny bit, if you compare the British pronounciation to the Dutch one. But ah, it doesn't matter :). It was quite a while ago that I wrote it, now that I read it again I do think indeed: "okay what was I thinking..."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...