Photo

Would You Call Your Child Emma?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Poll: Baby Emma?

?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Sunny England

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

I've always liked the name Emma, Louise has always been one of my top choices though, I also like Charlotte and Daisy.

I just hope I don't have a son because they are stuck with Rory and Ricardo! :D (Stoke players :P)

I'm stuck if I have another boy, we can't decide on what we'd call him (not that there will be any babies in the next few years lol) but my boyfriend would like to call him Patric Pete or vice versa, he also has an obsession with fall out boy... I personally like Dexter and yes I did get it from the serial killer. Rory is a nice name though.

I still see Emma as a really plain name though, we had hundreds of Emma's at school.

I think it'd be more interesting seeing how many people would name a girl Hermione :P

Posted Image

#22 i love emma

i love emma

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

Possibly, I like the name and freakily my 1st gf was called Emma.
Most girls called Emma I know really have a nice personality.
I also like the name Feli or Felicity
Posted Image
Emma Watson I Love You
Posted Image
Proud Member of The Earth House!
Earth house badge by Tom
Winner of boys award - Weirdest Member!

My Epic E-family:
Bigger Bro:The Dude Big Bro:Slash Lil Bro:Reznov Amazing Uncle:Dax Cool Cousins:Andrew, Michael, LoverBoy My blood-sister : Hymn

#23 Bowen

Bowen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

However, Emma is a good name. The girl of Ross and Rachel in Friends also called Emma.

#24 Unreal

Unreal

Energetic member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Mood::Peace ☮
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

Noo way! It suits Emma, but i'd prefer a unique name for my kids.

our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure

follow me

#25 OrdiNarY BoY

OrdiNarY BoY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Na...I am planning to have a wife called Emma ^_^

#26 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Mood::giggidy
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

I wouldn't know what my wife's name will be... but if Emma is a name considered for my child, I would definitely support it. Normally I wouldn't have thought twice about that name but when I think about it. Emma is a very lovely name, yet so simple. That name isn't really a common name either (at least not here); and with all the Brittanys and Britneys 'round here, I think it would set itself apart from the rest. :P
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#27 ShipOfFools

ShipOfFools

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

Maybe. I like the name Emma.

But not because of Emma Watson.

"Actually I'm highly logical which allows me to look past extraneous detail and perceive clearly that which others overlook." - Hermoine Granger

#28 Bagel of Death

Bagel of Death

Dedicated Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Mood::Pensive
  • LocationHot n' Sweaty Arizona!

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

I voted for the last option (well not high school, but uni :P). I personally don't like nor dislike the name, it's just too common.

34dpea0.gif

The AR Family: Chris (husband) ; Arie (daughter) ; Sarah (pet penguin) ; Jade (niece) ; Jon (father)

#29 William Cavendish

William Cavendish

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

The etymology would be the most important if I were to choose a name. Emma means whole, universal and is derived from the Germanic word ermen, introduced to England by Emma of Normandy. For more details, search the internet – the point is that I like it regardless of its connection to Miss Watson. Some are very close, though, such as Max Power or Buzz Killington. (That was a joke.)

Posted Image

#30 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

I think Emma would be a great name for my daughter if I had one.

Unless I somehow managed to overcome the odds and marry Emma Watson. Then I would have to pick something different :P

You wont have to worry about that last bit mate...

But Yeah I would name my girl Emma, Its a nice name

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#31 mischief.managed

mischief.managed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Mood::It's obnoxious to complain, so I can't complain!
  • LocationMt. Crumpet (or Kutztown, PA)

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:15 AM

Emma is a cute girl name. But, if I get married and have a daughter I don't think I'd name her Emma...sorry lol

you don't have to feel safe
Posted Image
to feel unafraid . . .

"And above all these put on love,
which binds everything together in perfect harmony." - Colossians 3:14

. . .
jade is my sister | joe is my husband | alp is my pet llama
you can call me sammy

my photography blog

#32 Austin!

Austin!

Energetic member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:13 AM

Yea, if I did name my daughter Emma it would be because I genuinely like the name. Not because of Emma Watson.
Posted Image

#33 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Mood::Dizzy
  • Locationthe outer space

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:40 AM

Well...I haven't graducted.Emma is a lovely name but it's too common.People with unusual names is better remembered than those with ordinary names.(Just like my teacher,he couldn't remember my name.)And unluckily,my English name is Emma.

Posted Image

My blood brother: P

#34 William Cavendish

William Cavendish

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Well...I haven't graducted.Emma is a lovely name but it's too common.People with unusual names is better remembered than those with ordinary names.(Just like my teacher,he couldn't remember my name.)And unluckily,my English name is Emma.

How can you convert Chinese names? While your names generally express personal attributes (adjectives) and it would be possible to find a match based on etymology of the word Emma, it would not be a conversion of the name itself, but a mere translation of the word it has been derived from—in this case ermen—to Chinese. As an example of a proper conversion, take the Hebrew name Joseph, whose variant forms are e.g. Giuseppe, Jozef, Iosef or Jose – all of them with the same etymology.

Posted Image

#35 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

How can you convert Chinese names? While your names generally express personal attributes (adjectives) and it would be possible to find a match based on etymology of the word Emma, it would not be a conversion of the name itself, but a mere translation of the word it has been derived from—in this case ermen—to Chinese. As an example of a proper conversion, take the Hebrew name Joseph, whose variant forms are e.g. Giuseppe, Jozef, Iosef or Jose – all of them with the same etymology.

Nonono you're wrong,my primary school teacher named me Emma.Most young people in China have a English name in order to communicate with foreigners more easily,cause Chinese names are hard for foreigners to pronounce.My Chinese name is Wang Xiaoyuan,it's totally different from Emma.

Posted Image

#36 William Cavendish

William Cavendish

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Nonono you're wrong,my primary school teacher named me Emma.Most young people in China have a English name in order to communicate with foreigners more easily,cause Chinese names are hard for foreigners to pronounce.My Chinese name is Wang Xiaoyuan,it's totally different from Emma.

Understood. Why was it not your parents who had given you an English name, but a primary school teacher?

Posted Image

#37 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Understood. Why was it not your parents who had given you an English name, but a primary school teacher?

Well...It's kinda like...If you're an American,your parents certainly won't give you a Russian or Arabic name.And in primary,I had a Canadian teacher...so.. :unsure:

Posted Image

#38 bigemmawatsonfan

bigemmawatsonfan

Novice Member

• Water
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Maybe I give my future daughter the name Emma. But I don't know yet. Emma is a beautiful name, but so known and common.
Im a very big fan of Emma Watson and my biggest dream is to meet her!

#39 Jane-Alex

Jane-Alex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

maybe, but not because of EW.

#40 Moritz

Moritz

Dedicated Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

Maybe,but not because of Emma Waston.I think Emma is a very nice name,but there are so many girls called Emma.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users