The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Was Mcgonagall A Quidditch Player?

Yeah we thought so too.

This is from HP Wiki:

M. G. McGonagall attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the age of eleven in the late 1960s. McGonagall was Sorted into Gryffindor House, the House which was Headed at the time by Minerva McGonagall herself. As such, McGonagall was taught Transfiguration by Minerva as well. McGonagall also joined the Gryffindor Quidditch team and was awarded a plaque for it in 1971.

Hmmm.

Nevermind, Richard just made more sense of it :P

Edited by padfoot

Seems a bit too late for her to be a Quidditch player...maybe a family member?

Seems like you're right this time. As you can see it says "McGonagall was Sorted into Gryffindor House, the House which was Headed at the time by Minerva McGonagall herself. As such, McGonagall was taught Transfiguration by Minerva as well.". Thats two different people. Plus "Minerva McGonagall attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1937 and was Sorted into Gryffindor House. She graduated in 1944".

So the mystery is solved, of course I solved it. :P

Edited by W.V.B

The only reference to "M.G. McGonagall" anywhere is from that plaque in the movie. Maybe a prop maker having a bit of fun adding something in to see if people would catch it.

yeah that is what i think, but i can imagine her playing quidditch. would have been cool if she did

Have been wondering about it for about nine years now, when I saw it in the film. Minerva McGonagall would have to be the same age as Sirius, Remus and Snape (or a maximum of six years older, since Harry was the youngest Player of the century, clearly beating his father) to make this possible, which she isn't. But I guess she might have been a player during der time at Hogwarts, since she's clearly passionate about the game.