#21 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Sunny England

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

I was very doubtful too, my mum got given a dodgy copy of the philosophers stone on video, me and my nrother were both like, what have you got that for? But we watched it and loved it, a few days later I went to ASDA with my mum and saw a box set of the first 4 books and bought them
loved the books too.... My brother never got into yhe books:p
oh and eventually I did buy a proper copyy of the film....ended up getting it on VHS and DVD so made up for mums pirate copy lol

Posted Image

#22 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Mood::Happy =)
  • LocationLooking for Loooove in the Room of Requirement! ;)

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

My twin brother and my sister had been reading the Harry Potter books for years and telling me how good they were, but I've always been a person who doesn't like to "jump on the bandwagon" so to speak, and while I've been a avid reader, I avoided the books and the movies. Eventually I swallowed my pride after watching the first three movies during the Family Channel's Harry Potter marathon in December of 2009. I purchased the entire series of books on Dec. 31 of 2009 and finished reading the series on January 30 of 2010. I've been in love with the series (the books especially) ever since, and they were the impetus for me joining the old Emma Watson forums in March of last year. Actually I believe that my one year anniversary of HP related internet chat is in three days now! :lol:

I'm currently reading the series for the second time and have just finished Order of the Phoenix, and while I've been reading other things and moving through the series much more deliberately this time, I have been enjoying it even more as I discover new things.
Posted Image

Beautiful Emma Watson St. Patrick's Day signature graphic and icon by BoMa
special thank you to BoMa for her talent and her time and to Mr. and Mrs. Watson for having such a photogenic young lady. =p

MY E-FAMILY: e-married to Mrs. Pumpkinhead <3; e-niece: Kim and Kimberley (Kim Twins); e-grandkids: BoMa, Ardi, favorite e-grandchild: Arie<3; e-greatgrandchildren: Will =O, Sarah, Lindy; EX-e-nurse: Carlyn; e-son: Andrew e-daughter: Tara e-soninlaw: Chris e-bestie: Tom jsjs (don't tell Lolly)>.<

#23 vida

vida

Dedicated Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

I read the first three in late 2000/ early 2001. Book 4 towards the end of 2001...
And then suffered the agonizing wait for book 5, then book 6 and finally book 7. All three I read straightaway after publication, even queeing up at the bookstore to get my copy on release date. :D

'You love me. Real or not real?'

'Real'.

#24 Momoko

Momoko

Novice Member

• Fire
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Mood::happy

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:35 AM

it was about 2001 I think because I was 7 and I was the only kid in my class that liked them.

#25 HermioneP.

HermioneP.

Novice Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationNorthern Germany

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

It was early 2000, I think in January (might have been late 1999, I'm not sure). I was 12 years old back than and had just started readings books that were primarily written for adults (I really fell for the crime novels by Donna Leon, I remember). Friends had recommended the series to my parents and they bought the first two books at the same time in early winter. I read the text on the cover, it was all about some child attending a school for magic and I thought "well, I'm over this, I'm reading books for adults now".

The books collected dust for weeks and then my father came down with a cold. He was in bed for a couple of days and finally ran out of books he hadn't read yet. He asked if any of us had something he could occupy himself with and I said "I do have those Harry Potter books, do you want to have them?". My father really liked the stories, my mother started reading them days after that and suddenly our discussions at lunch and dinner were all about Quidditch and Hogwarts. I got really annoyed because I hadn't got a clue what they were talking about. As soon as my mother had finished reading the first one I grabbed it, took it back to my room and fell in love with the story.

I also remember how there were reports about a possible movie. I didn't like this idea at all, because I feared they wouldn't do justice to the books. In the end I loved them.

#26 HermioneRules

HermioneRules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

2002 or 2003.

#27 trixie

trixie

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

I started to read HP PoA when GOF.(the book) first was released. So this was LOONG time ago.
I had never heard of HP before. But there where some classmates that was very eager about going to a book shop to get this book.
so we got there but all the GoF books had been sold out so we could only get the first three books. I bought the third one. Don't ask me why.
I read it and loved it and got the rest as soon as I could.

there's nothing I N T E R E S T I N G about being P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

#28 Juliet

Juliet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I had watched all the released movies and liked them but I got really into HP around 2 years ago and started reading the books on 2010 summer.

#29 Joanne P.

Joanne P.

Energetic member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBrittany, France

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

For me it was in 2000, and if I remember well, it was before GoF came out in France. I was 7 then, my older sisters were reading Harry Potter and I did not want to because I didn't want to do like them ;) But one evening, I was looking for something to read, and I found the first book, so I started it... Read almost all night (my mum was kind of angry when she found out :P), and I read the two others in a few days !
Posted Image

By my twin Joannedern :)

#30 clarabelle

clarabelle

Novice Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Going to sound old now but I got the first harry potter book for christmas 1997 I think I read it early 1998
I really am that old😱

#31 ShipOfFools

ShipOfFools

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

I was hearing about it in high school, but I didn't read the books until I was 19 or 20, and that was after watching the first movie.

"Actually I'm highly logical which allows me to look past extraneous detail and perceive clearly that which others overlook." - Hermoine Granger

#32 Lindalumos

Lindalumos

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Mood::Super
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

I read the first book in 1999 when I was 7. But that was in Finnish. I think the first time I read it in English was when I was about 11 or 12.

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

#33 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Mood::excited by tangents ô.Ô
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I only started reading the books like a year ago :tongue0020: And that was after watching Half Blood Prince, someone lent me the books and I devoured them.

I'm kind of sad that I got late to the party, it's pretty awesome to see how people camped out to see the movies, stalked for autographs and pictures etc. :lol: Right now there aren't any franchises around that I feel enthusiastic about, but I'm not in the age group for rabid fandom anymore anyway I guess ;)

"Ok, well, the 'hot bod' is not a characteristic."

#34 Emma_Rules

Emma_Rules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

i started reading them in 2003, after seeing the Sorcerer's Stone with my Mom and sister. the books are well written, and i really get into that world, love it. i am pretty satisfied with the films, in hindsight now, though i wish some storylines had made it into the films, like the apparating tests, Hermione's S.P.E.W., and others.

good_music_zps1def08f8.gif

#35 avd7711

avd7711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Mood::Peaceful
  • LocationParadise

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

in 2000+ I don't remember. I was so into magic and unusual stuff, everyone thought I'm stupid haha.

#36 Stefik

Stefik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationHogwarts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

when I was 11 years old

#37 Esmeralda**

Esmeralda**

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

I was quite young at that time, about 10 or 11. It all started with CoS that my father found at the book store while he was looking for something good to make me read (he has always been a great reader and wanted to pass his passion on me too). The plot caught him, so he decided to buy it.

Although I didn't like CoS that much, I asked my father to buy me the others because I was curious to know the rest of the story. I fell in love with SS and PoA which I basically adored and I was so into the books I couldn't wait for the next ones to come out!

I passed down to my sister and my cousin my HP love and I remember we were so thrilled when we found about the movie! 

Good old days...I miss them!

#38 dookdookdook

dookdookdook

Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

Yes, good old days. I miss them too.

I didn't start reading until after PoA the movie came out. My friend was the HP fan and I watched the movies with her. When we saw PoA, she cried because she was so upset with all the changes they made for the film. She hated the movie. So, I started reading, from PS, to see what I was missing. That was also about the time I found the EW.net forums. There was a lot of HP discussion back then, and it was a much more friendly environment than the HP specific forums. And Hermione was my favorite character, so yeah, I've been here ever since.

#39 Dax

Dax

Forum Founder

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Mood::Drunk and Happy ^.^
  • LocationSea World, I hang with Shamu

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

I was pretty young when I first started. Probably a few months after PS came out my parents bought me the book and tried to get me to read it. I was actually staunchly anti-HP back then because my brothers made fun of it (never having read it). When you're a young kid and your older brothers make fun of something you generally follow suit. My parents then bought the audio cassettes (no CD version back then O_O...) and got me to listen to them. Of course the rest is history, I fell in love with the books. As time passed my brothers came around to liking them too. I'm glad my parents had the foresight to introduce me to various books while I was growing it. It kindled my liking for literature and sparked my interest in writing creatively.

#40 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

I started reading I think early 2000, when I was 7. My friend bought me PS for Christmas 1999 because she had been reading them for a couple of years and kept going on at them, but I'd kind of avoided them as they didn't sound like my sort of thing. But I read PS, and then it turned out my mum had bought the first 3-4 books already for me to read (I'm not sure exactly when in 2000 GOF came out, I'm not sure if I got that at the same time as the others or a bit later). I, of course, loved them, got up early to buy OotP and HBP on their release days and attended the midnight launch for DH. I miss those times.

Posted Image

Katharine. Atheist. Vegetarian. HP Fanatic.
Dumbledore's Woman Through And Through :)

My Fanfiction - Harry Potter and the Broken Pieces

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users