The Emma-Watson.net Forum

When Did You First Read Harry Potter?

I started to read HP PoA when GOF.(the book) first was released. So this was LOONG time ago.

I had never heard of HP before. But there where some classmates that was very eager about going to a book shop to get this book.

so we got there but all the GoF books had been sold out so we could only get the first three books. I bought the third one. Don't ask me why.

I read it and loved it and got the rest as soon as I could.

For me it was in 2000, and if I remember well, it was before GoF came out in France. I was 7 then, my older sisters were reading Harry Potter and I did not want to because I didn't want to do like them ;) But one evening, I was looking for something to read, and I found the first book, so I started it... Read almost all night (my mum was kind of angry when she found out :P), and I read the two others in a few days !

• 6 months later...

I only started reading the books like a year ago :tongue0020: And that was after watching Half Blood Prince, someone lent me the books and I devoured them.

I'm kind of sad that I got late to the party, it's pretty awesome to see how people camped out to see the movies, stalked for autographs and pictures etc. :lol: Right now there aren't any franchises around that I feel enthusiastic about, but I'm not in the age group for rabid fandom anymore anyway I guess ;)

• 4 months later...

i started reading them in 2003, after seeing the Sorcerer's Stone with my Mom and sister. the books are well written, and i really get into that world, love it. i am pretty satisfied with the films, in hindsight now, though i wish some storylines had made it into the films, like the apparating tests, Hermione's S.P.E.W., and others.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was quite young at that time, about 10 or 11. It all started with CoS that my father found at the book store while he was looking for something good to make me read (he has always been a great reader and wanted to pass his passion on me too). The plot caught him, so he decided to buy it.

Although I didn't like CoS that much, I asked my father to buy me the others because I was curious to know the rest of the story. I fell in love with SS and PoA which I basically adored and I was so into the books I couldn't wait for the next ones to come out!

I passed down to my sister and my cousin my HP love and I remember we were so thrilled when we found about the movie! 

Good old days...I miss them!

Yes, good old days. I miss them too.

I didn't start reading until after PoA the movie came out. My friend was the HP fan and I watched the movies with her. When we saw PoA, she cried because she was so upset with all the changes they made for the film. She hated the movie. So, I started reading, from PS, to see what I was missing. That was also about the time I found the EW.net forums. There was a lot of HP discussion back then, and it was a much more friendly environment than the HP specific forums. And Hermione was my favorite character, so yeah, I've been here ever since.

I was pretty young when I first started. Probably a few months after PS came out my parents bought me the book and tried to get me to read it. I was actually staunchly anti-HP back then because my brothers made fun of it (never having read it). When you're a young kid and your older brothers make fun of something you generally follow suit. My parents then bought the audio cassettes (no CD version back then O_O...) and got me to listen to them. Of course the rest is history, I fell in love with the books. As time passed my brothers came around to liking them too. I'm glad my parents had the foresight to introduce me to various books while I was growing it. It kindled my liking for literature and sparked my interest in writing creatively.

I started reading I think early 2000, when I was 7. My friend bought me PS for Christmas 1999 because she had been reading them for a couple of years and kept going on at them, but I'd kind of avoided them as they didn't sound like my sort of thing. But I read PS, and then it turned out my mum had bought the first 3-4 books already for me to read (I'm not sure exactly when in 2000 GOF came out, I'm not sure if I got that at the same time as the others or a bit later). I, of course, loved them, got up early to buy OotP and HBP on their release days and attended the midnight launch for DH. I miss those times.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I was about 8 years old.

It actually was my first "real book", compared to the short stories with drawings that I was used to read. It made me love to read. Now I realise that HP1 isn't even a huge book ! But when I got it in my hands at that time, it felt almost impossible to read such a book ^^