The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Top track and field star after Bolt, Duplantis sets another world record

Guest @cmriindia

Guest @cmriindia

After the retirement of Usain Bolt (38, Jamaica), who won three consecutive Olympic men's 100-200 meters titles (2008-2012-2016), the world of track and field has been without a major star to replace him for some time. The Paris Olympics, which kick off in July, will feature a number of athletes who may not have Bolt's presence, but they're sure to make track and field history.

Amund Duplantis (25-Sweden), who will try to win his second consecutive Olympic title in the men's pole vault, will be one of the biggest stars in Paris.

Duplantis cleared 6.24 meters in the men's pole vault at the IAAF Diamond League 2024 World Championships in Xiamen, China, on Tuesday. The world record was one centimeter better than the 6m23 he set at the Diamond League Final last September.

Duplantis cleared 5m62, 5m82 and 6m00 on the day before hitting 6m24 in the first round to win the gold medal with ease. With the world record in his first outdoor competition of the year, he became the undisputed GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) of the pole vault, holding the top 1-5 outdoor and top 1-5 indoor marks of all time. The win was her 16th consecutive podium finish in the event.

Duplantis was born with the right genes. 안전놀이터 추천 With a father who was an American pole vaulter and a mother who competed in track and field and volleyball in Sweden, she was born in the United States but chose her mother's nationality (Sweden).

It was in 2020 that Duplantis began his record hunt in earnest, breaking the previous indoor world record (6m16) set by Renaud Lavillenie (FRA) in 2014 by six years with a 6m17 in February, and in September, he leaped 6m15 to set an outdoor world record of 6m14, one centimeter better than the 1994 mark set by the "human bird" Sergei Bubka (UKRA).

This is the eighth time since 2020 that Duplantis has surpassed his own world record in indoor and outdoor competition. His dominant performances led him to win gold at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics, the 2022 World Indoor Championships and World Championships, the 2023 World Championships, and the 2024 World Indoor Championships.

"I'm proud to finish my first outdoor meet of the year with a world record," said Duplantis, who is one of the clear favorites for gold among the athletes competing at the Paris Games, "and with better preparation, I know I can go even higher this summer."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.