The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Water Damage; Ipod

okay, I'm honestly not sure where to post this.. I was thinking of Music in the Media section, but then I was unsure.. so please feel free to move this or close this topic if you feel it's inappropriate to be placed in this section of the forum.

just yesterday night, I dropped my iPod in water by accident and it worked even when it was wet, but there were glitches and apps would open and close, and it would keep telling me to shut down, the volume would turn all the way up and I wouldn't be able to control it. I turned it off, and now it's not responding to anything I do. I looked online everywhere, and I saw the rice method, and placing it against a heater for it to dry.. and I've tried the rice method for 12 hours, and it's still not responding to anything. I connected it my iPod to my computer this morning, and nothing would happen. I honestly don't know what to do, as I know the Apple waranty doesn't cover water damage.

should I keep trying the rice method for a longer period of time? or does anyone have any other method? sorry if things don't make any sense, I just hope that there's some way I can "rescue" my iPod before I declare it damaged forever.

thanks, I'd really appreciate it if anyone has anything to offer to help.

The rice method is good, but it probably wont work well with an ipod. Meaning, I know that it does wonders for cell phones. But, for that you open the cell phone up so it can dry the inside as well. You can't really do that with an ipod. I recomend trying it a little longer, it can't hurt. Or give it a couple of days. Maybe once the ipod is fully dried it will start working again? But, really I am afraid that it's done for. Most water damage is permanent which is why no company's ever cover it... well that and it is also very common. My ipod had mild water damage a few years ago... I gave it a few days and it started to work again... but the "next" button still doesn't really work well. Sorry lindy!!!

I know how to do it with mobile phones, but with iPod's you can't take the back off it :/

On a program I watched at the weekend, they used a vacuum cleaner to suck all the water out of the phone, It worked but I can't see how you could do it with an iPod, unless you suck the water out of the charging socket lol

The rice method is the way to go, but you're supposed to switch the iPod off as soon as it comes into contact with water, and not even attempt to turn it on for 2 or 3 days. I fear that by using it you will have shorted the electronics out, and that means the it's done for. The best thing to do is wait it out for a few more days and try to get it dry, and if it still doesn't work then you should just try selling it on ebay, listing it as a water damaged iPod. You'll still get a reasonable amount of money for it, enough to slightly offset the cost of a new iPod.

well thank you everyone for your input. I guess I'll wait a few more days to see if it'll dry up.. but if it still won't work after that, I guess it's officially damaged. hopefully I'll be able to get a new one.

Arie; if you don't mind me asking, what did you do with your iPod? did you just leave it someplace warm, and then it started working again?

When it stopped working I just let it be for a few days. I was away at summer camp so I couldn't really do much. I just kept it in my bag and stuff. However, it was very mild water damage... and it was sort of working before I left it.

I dropped mine in the bath a few weeks back. I put mine on the radiator to dry out. It worked fine after. Just don't have the radiator FULL BLAST! Mine has 8 notches, I had it on 3, luke warmish. You don't want to melt the battery.

When it stopped working I just let it be for a few days. I was away at summer camp so I couldn't really do much. I just kept it in my bag and stuff. However, it was very mild water damage... and it was sort of working before I left it.

I see. well I think the mistake that I made was that I turned it on while it was still wet, so that might have just killed it forever..

Er, careful about hotness for drying. You'll lose all chances of fixing it if you use to much hotness. /= Its an electronic, it doesn't fancy heat that much.

Thats my bit, I hope you get it fixed Lindy! =]

-perfect.shivers

thanks Josh, I'll be sure to watch out for that.

I dropped mine in the bath a few weeks back. I put mine on the radiator to dry out. It worked fine after. Just don't have the radiator FULL BLAST! Mine has 8 notches, I had it on 3, luke warmish. You don't want to melt the battery.

thanks Jade, I've tried putting it on my radio without full blast. but I think the problem is that I turned it on while it was still wet, so I don't think there's any chance of it surviving the water, unless some miracle happens.

but thanks everyone again for the responses. really did help.