The Emma-Watson.net Forum

So, my MATH teacher actually asked us this question yesterday. Then proceeded to explaining that everyone in the world has some sort of OCD, no matter how small or big. So I actually put some thought into this question. What exactly is OCD? It's basically something that you need to do for unnecessary/unreasonable reasons, it's an anxiety order. It's an intrusive thought that will keep coming back until you have that certain thing done. It's kind of like an obsession but not exactly on the same line.

I went home and I actually thought about it. What are some things that I absolutely need to do for completely unnecessary/unreasonable reasons? Here's some that I thought of.

- If someone staples a piece of paper incorrectly, I feel the absolute need to pick out the staple and re-staple it so it is correctly stapled.

- Before I go to sleep I MUST check to see if the door is locked

- Doing certain things in the right order, and if I don't do it in the right order, I re-start and I do it again otherwise I can't do it

What about you guys? OCD anyone?

I would be cautious to say that everyone has an OCD, everyone has a habit of doing things right or a need to do things the correct way.

I know that I struggle to listen to songs on shuffle and just about need to listen to CD's in full.

I'm sleepy as so I cant think of too much right now though

I would say there's a reason your teacher is a math teacher. Not everyone has OCD, people can be pretty paranoid or obsessive about certain things, but that's not OCD. It kind of like how when some people lose their concentration they jump to the conclusion that they must be ADD/ADHD instead of being tired or distracted. I wouldn't classify anything you listed as being OCD. It seems more like learned behavior, comfort, and a bit of paranoia (no offense). OCD is more like driving to San Francisco from L.A. in the middle of the night because you have to see that sweet golden gate bridge, otherwise you won't be able to sleep again. While that may be a super crazy example, people with OCD go to incredible lengths for their obsessions.

I just want to say as a side note I find people who claim all of these disorders to be incredibly annoying. I am ADHD, I was diagnosed at a young age and it's been diagnosed consistently in my family. When I hear some two bit lazy jerk claiming that they have it, when in reality they are just being apathetic and don't want to buckle down and do the work, it infuriates me. It's a real disorder, don't belittle it by claiming you have it when you're just being lazy and looking to score some adderall.

I completely agree with Dax here. It buffles me a lot as to why these days more and more people -especially teenagers- WANT to believe that they actually suffer from a mental disease when they just don't. Especially anorexia and self harm. I mean seriously they all diagnosed themselves over the Internet, not a real doctor, and they are all like yeah i suffer from this this this and this? If you ask me that's really insulting to the people who actually suffer from something similar.

On the OCD subject i have some traits that would fit to the symptoms but i'm definitely one hundred percent not suffering from it just because of those traits.

I like doing/checking things 3 times. People asked me why before and i don't know why. If i do it 2 times i just go back and do it 3 times. But it has happened sometimes that i do it once or twice and then think about it how about the 3rd time and i just don't do it because i'm lazy.

Also when i start singing a song or a prayer or w/e in my mind i have to finish it all. I can't stop in the middle. Idk why, but i don't mind lol

I like to have my things in an a specific order, sometimes when i can't sleep at night i start re arranging my furniture so it looks aligned and perfect. But that's because i have nothing to do when i'm not sleeping. I wouldn't rush to conclusions that i suffer from OCD though.

Edited by Provehito In Altum