The Emma-Watson.net Forum

A Christmas Carol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought their was only one movie?

Really? Time for a list!

• Scrooge, or, Marley's Ghost (1901), a short British film that is the earliest surviving screen adaptation.
  • A Christmas Carol (1908), with Thomas Ricketts as Scrooge.
  • A Christmas Carol (1910) is a 10-minute silent version of the film starring Marc McDermott as Scrooge and Charles Ogle as Cratchit.
  • Scrooge (1913), starring Sir Seymour Hicks and retitled Old Scrooge for its U.S. release in 1926.
  • The Right to Be Happy (1916), the first feature-length adaptation, directed by and starring Rupert Julian as Scrooge. Now presumed lost.
  • A Christmas Carol (1923), produced in the UK and starring Russell Thorndike, Nina Vanna, Jack Denton, and Forbes Dawson.
  • Scrooge (1935), a British movie, again starring Seymour Hicks as Scrooge, rather notorious for not showing most of the ghosts onscreen.[4]
  • A Christmas Carol (1938), starring Reginald Owen as Scrooge and Gene Lockhart and Kathleen Lockhart as the Cratchits.
  • Scrooge (1951), re-titled A Christmas Carol in the U.S., starring Alastair Sim as Scrooge and Mervyn Johns and Hermione Baddeley as the Cratchits.
  • It's Never Too Late (1953), Italian adaptation of Dickens's novel, featuring Paolo Stoppa and Marcello Mastroianni.
  • Scrooge (1970), a musical film adaptation starring Albert Finney as Scrooge and Alec Guinness as Marley's Ghost.
  • A Christmas Carol (1971), an Oscar-winning animated short film by Richard Williams, with Alastair Sim reprising the role of Scrooge.
  • Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983), an animated short film featuring the various Walt Disney characters
  • The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992), featuring the various Muppet characters, with Michael Caine as Scrooge.
  • A Christmas Carol (1994), an animated version produced by Jetlag Productions, written by Jack Olesker.
  • A Christmas Carol (1997), an animated production featuring the voice of Tim Curry as Scrooge as well as the voices of Whoopi Goldberg, Michael York and Ed Asner.
  • Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001), an animated version produced by Illuminated Films (Christmas Carol), Ltd/The Film Consortium/MBP;
  • A Christmas Carol (2004), an animated film with animals in the lead roles. Distributed by Genius Entertainment and produced by BKN International. ISBN 1594442657.
  • A Christmas Carol (2006), a computer animated adaptation featuring anthropomorphic animals in the lead roles.
  • A Christmas Carol (2009), a performance capture film directed by Robert Zemeckis, and starring Jim Carrey as Ebenezer Scrooge and the three ghosts.

And those are just the ones who directly tell the story. There are way more adaptations of the basic story then I can count.

LOL thanks Maestro!

Yeah, and a lot of TV shows have Christmas specials based on the Christmas Carol storyline as well, such as Doctor Who this year and Catherine Tate's 'Nan's Christmas Carol' thing a couple of years ago. It's a great concept, but after a while it's just like 'OMG come up with something else already!' At least for me, haha.

No, it's definately not the same as the actual thing, but it's based on the same story. That's what I mean about the story being so over done, even in different formats. The original is great, but unfortunately the constant rehashing of the storyline in remakes or TV shows etc lessens the impact for me, which is a real shame.

• 1 year later...