#1 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts
  • Mood::Content

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

There are many versions. But the original I studied in school. I brought it yesterday and i've been reading it. I think it's such an amazing classic.

Does anyone else like it?

#2 Carlyn

Carlyn

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

I have a copy of A Christmas Carol but I haven't got around to reading it yet. I have seen several tv versions of it though.

#3 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

My favourite ghost is the ghost of the future. I think it's ironic how he used death.

#4 Carlyn

Carlyn

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

I like the ghost of Christmas present. I also like the Marley brothers.

#5 lavieenrose

lavieenrose

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

I love this story but I don't have the book, it's on my list of ones to buy though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So even if the world falls down today, you've still got me to hold you up, and I will never let you down.

#6 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

^You should invest in it.

#7 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

For me this story's been so overdone by film and television that I simply can't enjoy it any more. But I agree that the original book and concept are brilliant. Well, they'd have to be to still be so popular and loved today.
Posted Image

Katharine. Atheist. Vegetarian. HP Fanatic.
Dumbledore's Woman Through And Through :)

My Fanfiction - Harry Potter and the Broken Pieces

#8 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

I thought their was only one movie?

#9 Maestro

Maestro

Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 1,156 posts
  • Mood::Shiny!
  • LocationRoom 313

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

I thought their was only one movie?

Really? Time for a list!

• Scrooge, or, Marley's Ghost (1901), a short British film that is the earliest surviving screen adaptation.
  • A Christmas Carol (1908), with Thomas Ricketts as Scrooge.
  • A Christmas Carol (1910) is a 10-minute silent version of the film starring Marc McDermott as Scrooge and Charles Ogle as Cratchit.
  • Scrooge (1913), starring Sir Seymour Hicks and retitled Old Scrooge for its U.S. release in 1926.
  • The Right to Be Happy (1916), the first feature-length adaptation, directed by and starring Rupert Julian as Scrooge. Now presumed lost.
  • A Christmas Carol (1923), produced in the UK and starring Russell Thorndike, Nina Vanna, Jack Denton, and Forbes Dawson.
  • Scrooge (1935), a British movie, again starring Seymour Hicks as Scrooge, rather notorious for not showing most of the ghosts onscreen.[4]
  • A Christmas Carol (1938), starring Reginald Owen as Scrooge and Gene Lockhart and Kathleen Lockhart as the Cratchits.
  • Scrooge (1951), re-titled A Christmas Carol in the U.S., starring Alastair Sim as Scrooge and Mervyn Johns and Hermione Baddeley as the Cratchits.
  • It's Never Too Late (1953), Italian adaptation of Dickens's novel, featuring Paolo Stoppa and Marcello Mastroianni.
  • Scrooge (1970), a musical film adaptation starring Albert Finney as Scrooge and Alec Guinness as Marley's Ghost.
  • A Christmas Carol (1971), an Oscar-winning animated short film by Richard Williams, with Alastair Sim reprising the role of Scrooge.
  • Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983), an animated short film featuring the various Walt Disney characters
  • The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992), featuring the various Muppet characters, with Michael Caine as Scrooge.
  • A Christmas Carol (1994), an animated version produced by Jetlag Productions, written by Jack Olesker.
  • A Christmas Carol (1997), an animated production featuring the voice of Tim Curry as Scrooge as well as the voices of Whoopi Goldberg, Michael York and Ed Asner.
  • Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001), an animated version produced by Illuminated Films (Christmas Carol), Ltd/The Film Consortium/MBP;
  • A Christmas Carol (2004), an animated film with animals in the lead roles. Distributed by Genius Entertainment and produced by BKN International. ISBN 1594442657.
  • A Christmas Carol (2006), a computer animated adaptation featuring anthropomorphic animals in the lead roles.
  • A Christmas Carol (2009), a performance capture film directed by Robert Zemeckis, and starring Jim Carrey as Ebenezer Scrooge and the three ghosts.

And those are just the ones who directly tell the story. There are way more adaptations of the basic story then I can count.

Posted Image

The M.A.D. Files - Talking about games, films, games, life, games, internet and games
Is it a bird?! Is it a plane?! Is it Superman?! No, it's Maestro's twitter!
He also makes videos...so if you would want to watch them...probably not...

He's immortal, born in the lowlands of the Netherlands 33 years ago, he's not alone, there are others like him, some good, some evil, for decades he has battled the forces of darkness with Emma-Watson.net his only refuge. He cannot die, unless you take his head and with it his admin powers, in the end there can be only one, he's Maestro - The Forum Admin

#10 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Oh wow. Okay then. >.<

#11 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

LOL thanks Maestro!

Yeah, and a lot of TV shows have Christmas specials based on the Christmas Carol storyline as well, such as Doctor Who this year and Catherine Tate's 'Nan's Christmas Carol' thing a couple of years ago. It's a great concept, but after a while it's just like 'OMG come up with something else already!' At least for me, haha.
Posted Image

#12 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

I seen the Nans Christmas Carol but I don't class it as the actual thing. >.<

#13 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

No, it's definately not the same as the actual thing, but it's based on the same story. That's what I mean about the story being so over done, even in different formats. The original is great, but unfortunately the constant rehashing of the storyline in remakes or TV shows etc lessens the impact for me, which is a real shame.
Posted Image

#14 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

I get where you're coming from. But I myself wouldn't class it as overdone as I don't class it as A Christmas Carol. >.<

#15 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

Fair enough :)
Posted Image

#16 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

What are people#s views on Marley then?

#17 old-brown-shoe

old-brown-shoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

My favourite work of Dickens, it's such a nice uplifting story. I liked Marley, particularly the scene he appeared in anyway, I was always freaked out when Scrooge hears the chains being dragged up the stairs.

#18 Matthewsont

Matthewsont

• Earth
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationS. E. England

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

I like how everyone forgets Dickens was actually just a tabloid writer and that most of his "books" were actually written as weekly chapters in news papers :P

#19 old-brown-shoe

old-brown-shoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

I knew that. Apparently a lot of the chapters each week were improvised which just comes to show how brilliant he was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users