The Emma-Watson.net Forum

It's been a while since I've read DH. So if it mentions it in the book, do tell. But as far as I remember it never wraps up what happened with Hermione's parents. Is there a reverse curse for Obliviate? Or are her parents just clueless for the rest of their lives? I would think that Hermione would want her parents back to normal after all the battles and what not are over and life returns to a relatively normal pace.

I love the way they handled it in the movie. If I remember correctly, in the book she just mentioned to Harry and Ron what she had done. But it has so much more emotional impact actually seeing it in the movie and seeing the turmoil that Hermione is going through. Absolutely heartbreaking.

It's not in the book, but Hermione finds them and restores their memories after Voldemort is defeated. Hopefully the final movie will mention this since they were able to add the scene you mentioned(which was, as you said, absolutely heartbreaking and I am glad they added it.)

Yes, it's not in the book. JKR said Hermione found her parents and restored their memories in a press conference.

Was it an Obliviate charm? In the book Hermione tells Harry and Ron that she has modified her parent's memories, and that if they survived she would find them and lift the enchantment. Later in the book, Hermione says she has never done a memory charm, just that she knows the theory, before she uses Obliviate on Dolohov. So, I think she didn't erase the memories with Obliviate, just added new ones so they thought they were someone else.

Yes, it's not in the book. JKR said Hermione found her parents and restored their memories in a press conference.

Was it an Obliviate charm? In the book Hermione tells Harry and Ron that she has modified her parent's memories, and that if they survived she would find them and lift the enchantment. Later in the book, Hermione says she has never done a memory charm, just that she knows the theory, before she uses Obliviate on Dolohov. So, I think she didn't erase the memories with Obliviate, just added new ones so they thought they were someone else.

Yeah she modifies their memories so they don't remember her, but they still know each other and their lives. She also makes it so they feel like they HAVE to go to Australia so she can get them out of the country.

Yeah she modifies their memories so they don't remember her, but they still know each other and their lives. She also makes it so they feel like they HAVE to go to Australia so she can get them out of the country.

Well, they don't remember their lives. They think they are someone else, different names and everything. And no daughter.

Yeah, this is true. In the movie it's an Obliviate charm but I believe you're right. In the book she gives them new or different memories. That makes a whole lot more sense than Obliviate. I thought maybe she should not go whole hog and wipe their memories just in case things worked out for her, Harry and Ron. Maybe she could've gone with something not quite as severe like an Obfuscate charm. ;)

• 13 years later...