The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I've actually been thinking about this for sometime. I wonder if it's because I worked with kids that got me thinking about the decisions parents make. So I wonder... how hard or easy was the decision for the Potter Kids parents to make the decision to let their children become apart of this huge franchise?

I already know Daniel's parents were very hesitant at first, so much so they didn't even want him playing the role... but what about Emma and Rupert's parents?

If it were me I know it would be one of the hardest parenting decisions I'd ever make. If I let my child take this role, in what is going to become the biggest franchise in the world, have hundreds of thousands of doors opened up for them for their career and education, have fame and fortune while also knowing what has become of many a child star, would I let them? Would I trust my child enough to make the right decisions if I did? Or would I say no and have my child go through a "normal" life, away from fame, a movie set, traveling around the world for movie premiers and interviews, and have them stay in their school with their friends and experience all the things that "normal" children experience, knowing full well what I'm taking away from my child and that they'll probably resent me when they see this other actor taking the role that should have been theirs?

I don't think Emma or Rupert ever discussed it, but I really wonder how hard the decision was for their parents to make.

You make a lot of good points. And I'm sure it was a big and difficult decision for their parents. But I also don't believe they thought of it in the terms you put it in here:

If it were me I know it would be one of the hardest parenting decisions I'd ever make. If I let my child take this role, in what is going to become the biggest franchise in the world, have hundreds of thousands of doors opened up for them for their career and education, have fame and fortune

The first book was released in 1997. I believe they began trying to cast for the trio in 1998 or 1999 so only two or three of the books had come out at that time. HP was becoming a very successful book series but at that point in time we were definitely on the front end of HP mania. And there was no guarantee that the films were even going to be any good let alone successful. I'm sure if their parents knew then what they know now it might be a more difficult decision.

Emma has said in interviews herself, that had she known what was to come it would have been overwhelming. She just thought it'd be fun to be Hermione. She, nor any of the rest of them, had any idea how huge all of this would become.

But yes, it is still a big decision.

The first book was released in 1997. I believe they began trying to cast for the trio in 1998 or 1999 so only two or three of the books had come out at that time. HP was becoming a very successful book series but at that point in time we were definitely on the front end of HP mania. And there was no guarantee that the films were even going to be any good let alone successful. I'm sure if their parents knew then what they know now it might be a more difficult decision.

Emma has said in interviews herself, that had she known what was to come it would have been overwhelming. She just thought it'd be fun to be Hermione. She, nor any of the rest of them, had any idea how huge all of this would become.

But yes, it is still a big decision.

Yes, I know that at the time it didn't seem like that big of a deal, I agree that I think the decision would have been more difficult if their parents knew exactly how big this all would have become.

As has been said, they had no idea how huge the movie franchise would become when they signed up for it. Plus at the start they only signed on for two films (I believe) so at the time it probably didn't feel like their parents were signing over their entire childhoods for years of fame and fortune, but rather giving their kids an exciting new opportunity to do something they loved and experience something few other children would get a chance to do.

But I appreciate it's still a pretty tough decision. I think in the end though, any parent would regret not giving their child the opportunity of a lifetime, even if it did mean missing out on a lot of normal childhood experiences, not to mention the possible resentment, such a child would feel towards their parents for denying them the opportunity.

As has been said, they had no idea how huge the movie franchise would become when they signed up for it. Plus at the start they only signed on for two films (I believe) so at the time it probably didn't feel like their parents were signing over their entire childhoods for years of fame and fortune, but rather giving their kids an exciting new opportunity to do something they loved and experience something few other children would get a chance to do.

But I appreciate it's still a pretty tough decision. I think in the end though, any parent would regret not giving their child the opportunity of a lifetime, even if it did mean missing out on a lot of normal childhood experiences, not to mention the possible resentment, such a child would feel towards their parents for denying them the opportunity.

Very well said. (: