The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I figured it might be nice to have a thread where we can discuss the imagery, symbolism and foreshadowing in the Harry Potter Series. The reason I picked Spinner's End as the title of the thread is that I believe there is a great deal of foreshadowing throughout the novels, particularly as it pertains to Severus Snape, one of my favorite characters. Spinner's End of course is the name of the street that Severus Snape lives on and is also the title of the second chapter in The Half Blood Prince.

Of course much of this is open to interpritation, so a discussion on the possibility of hidden meanings should allow for challenges to certain readings, but function as part of a respectful discourse in the process. I hope everyone who partipates feels free to add their personal insights into some of the hidden meanings and foreshadowing that they picked up on in the series.

A few things that I noticed or have seen other people mention involve the street names and living places of many of the major characters. Of course the Weasley's live in the Burrow, and weasels live in burrows. As Katharine (Dumbledore's Woman) I believe (may have been Vida >.<), had pointed out in a discussion I was once involved in, in the shipper forum, Ottery St. Catchpole is the Muggle town nearest the Burrow, and this might have hinted at the relationship between Hermione and Ron as Hermione's patronus was an Otter and of course she came from a Muggle family.

Harry, grew up on Privet Drive. This is a "Private" place where Harry has been hidden away in a very real sense from the Wizarding World. Not only that, but the Dursley's are protective of their privacy at least as it relates to Harry in that they never want him to bring attention to them in any way. I'm sorry to admit that I did not notice this earlier...but in thinking about imagery and meaning today, I just realized that Grimmauld Place is in fact a Grim, Old place as that should have been a fairly easy name to read into. Snape lives on Spinner's End and in the chapter of the same name we realize that Snape is very much the Spinner or Spider, spinning his web in this chapter as he "plays his role well" in deceiving Bellatrix and Narcissa as to where his allegiances lie. Not only that, but he determines his own end, his own future, in making the unbreakable bond with Narcissa thus ensuring that it is he who will kill Albus Dumbledore when Draco Malfoy inevitabley fails to carry out Voldemort's charge.

Back when I reread Prisoner of Azkaban I realized that Dumbledore told Harry that there was an ancient bond in the wizarding world whereby one wizard who saves another wizard's life is in some way indebted and bound to the wizard who saved him... this happens after Harry chooses to spare Peter Pettigrew's life and laments having done so when Pettigrew escapes. Dumbledore suggests to Harry that Pettigrew is now indebted to Harry and that this may serve Harry well in a time of need during the battle against Voldemort. Most blatantly we see this come to fruition when Wormtail chokes himself with his own hand and allows Harry, Ron, Luna and Dean to escape from the cellar in Malfoy Mansion. I felt, however that there may have been more to what Dumbledore told Harry than what we saw as it pertained to him and Wormtail. Earlier in POA, Harry first learns that his father James once saved Severus Snape's life. I think that here JKR was either giving us a hint that Snape was indebted to protect Harry, OR that Dumbledore was indirectly telling Harry about Snape's debt to James (protecting Harry) by explaining the bond that now existed between Harry and Wormtail.

Well, that's all I have to kick this thing off. But I'm very interested in hearing the insights into symbolism and foreshawdowing that I may have missed through out the series that might be revealed by others. Or different interpritations of the things I chose to mention. :king:

I agree with everything what you wrote. For me at least, the foreshadowing and symbolism in the Harry Potter Series has been one of my favourite parts of reading these books and the funny thing is that I didn't noticed them first time reading the books. Then I became a obsessed seaching for clues.

I can't really think of any other at the moment though. (I haven't read the books over a year at least.)

Great topic, Jon!

Oh yes, the foreshadowing! We've extensively discussed it in the shipper forum, haven't we? ^_^

As well as all you have previously stated, I'd like to say that Neville Longbottom is also worthy of mentioning.

Voldemort was the one to mark Harry as his equal but it could have easily been Neville instead. Dumbledore tells us so as it was Voldemort the one who felt more threatened by the half-blood (being a half-blood himself) than the pure-blood.

Neville's character have gone from strenght to strenght since DA's days and he even acted as the rebellious 'leader' at Hogwarts while the trio was in exile.

I don't think that Neville was the one to destroy the very last Horcrux, Nagini, by chance.

IMO the power of the prophecy and its foreshadowing is shown there.

I think Neville would have been just as powerful to stand up against Voldemort had he been in Harry's place.

So yeah, cheers to Neville. :D

I thought I'd replied to this topic ages ago, but apparently not! woops! :P

Awesome topic, it's nice to delve into aspects of the books other than shipping again.

I agree with everything posted so far. And I'll echo what Vida said about Neville. I often feel he's one of the most underrated characters in the series. He's been one of Harry's true friends all along and he was almost in Harry's position as the 'Chosen one' himself. Him killing Nagini was definately NOT by chance.

I love Neville :3m_sie: