#21 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:11 AM

What are the Jewish rules on tattoos?
A lot of Christians dont think its acceptable, but there are some things that Jesus does and says that kind of blur the line. And Judaism is about the old testament. What are your thoughts on Leviticus 19:28?

tattoos are not allowed. We also extend that passage to other things as well. (smoking, drugs, certain piercings ect.). The funny part is, I am actually would love to get a tattoo!! I find them wicked cool.... Oh well.... Lol

My AMAZING sig is courtesy of the lovely BoMa and Dax
thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#22 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:23 AM

tattoos are not allowed. We also extend that passage to other things as well. (smoking, drugs, certain piercings ect.). The funny part is, I am actually would love to get a tattoo!! I find them wicked cool.... Oh well.... Lol

Man that sucks for you! Cool about the smoking and drugs, I hate them! (as well as booze).
I dont know if the Jewish version of the old testament is worded any different, but taken straight from my bible Leviticus 19:28 says,
"Dont cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD"
And the 3 verses above are about not cutting your hair or practicing witchcraft. The way I see it is that not getting tattoos is in context with the other verses, so dont do it in a ritualistic way like Pagans did. I think tattoos are cool, Im going to get them, I just think that you shouldnt get them in memoriam of someone or not just something random and silly. I want a full sleeve and it will be completely dedicated to God and my family. I dont see how God could send someone to hell for publicly displaying their love and affection for Him.

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#23 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

Woo old topic!

You said that you dont believe in a physical heaven or hell, and you said that if you get to heaven your spirit becomes part of God. What happens to your spirit in Hell?

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#24 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

My understanding of it all is this. To things can happen when you die. Either your soul will reunite with G-D or it will be cut off. I explain it like your soul sort of dies. We believe in reincarnation so this is a huge deal. Also, since the heart of our religion is spiritual reuniting with our maker is also the most amazing thing. Of course, there are some people who say differently. There are sources who do believe in a more physical hell. But, the bottom line for us is that G-D is above physicality. So neither heaven nor hell could be a physical place.

thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#25 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Mood::Tired..what else is new =P
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

My understanding of it all is this. To things can happen when you die. Either your soul will reunite with G-D or it will be cut off. I explain it like your soul sort of dies. We believe in reincarnation so this is a huge deal. Also, since the heart of our religion is spiritual reuniting with our maker is also the most amazing thing. Of course, there are some people who say differently. There are sources who do believe in a more physical hell. But, the bottom line for us is that G-D is above physicality. So neither heaven nor hell could be a physical place.

That's really interesting Arie, and it makes a lot of sense! I should convert :P Heaven and hell has always been a long debate, I would think, and many people have different points of view on it. I'm really not sure what I believe; I guess I'll find out when I die. I don't pin my beliefs on the set idea that I'll go to heaven or hell, because for me that narrows down my beliefs quite a bit and I feel that the whole "salvation" issue is something that really separates people in their religions. And Joe and Arie, thanks for rescuing this topic! :)
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#26 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

That's really interesting Arie, and it makes a lot of sense! I should convert :P Heaven and hell has always been a long debate, I would think, and many people have different points of view on it. I'm really not sure what I believe; I guess I'll find out when I die. I don't pin my beliefs on the set idea that I'll go to heaven or hell, because for me that narrows down my beliefs quite a bit and I feel that the whole "salvation" issue is something that really separates people in their religions. And Joe and Arie, thanks for rescuing this topic! :)

I definitely agree with you. Before I knew all this I had no idea what to believe about heaven and hell. But still, even though I do have this understanding. I do have e same attitude as you, I can never Truly know until I die. And, I am fine with that because obviously we aren't supposed to know. And the truth is, do I really want to know? Idk, I like mystery hahaha. Thank you for being so supportive as usual Hun!!! You always make me feel so great!

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#27 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:20 AM

I definitely agree with you. Before I knew all this I had no idea what to believe about heaven and hell. But still, even though I do have this understanding. I do have e same attitude as you, I can never Truly know until I die. And, I am fine with that because obviously we aren't supposed to know. And the truth is, do I really want to know? Idk, I like mystery hahaha. Thank you for being so supportive as usual Hun!!! You always make me feel so great!

Awwww, I try arie! I want everyone to feel great when they come here. That's the entire point, you know? I want people to learn more about themselves and each other in this forum.

Mystery is something that is a key proponent to faith. We don't really know much about what happens; in this world and the next (or even if there is a next world). Not knowing, but still believing, is what faith is. It's not always easy to find our faith; I know I have definitely struggled with it. But once it is found, it is a really great thing, no?

I feel extremely fortunate that I have had the chance to experiment with religions this year, and kind of move around a little between the various christian religions. I feel that it has really strengthened my relationship with God (I almost typed GD arie, your influence on me :P ) and I hope I can continue to have a beneficial relationship with Him.
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#28 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

hi arie! I would like to know why you guys dont eat pork? im muslim and i also dont eat pork but i would like to know what your reasons are. also is it the only really religous jewish people who dont eat it?
And do you live in israel?
For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

#29 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

Great question Rena!!!

Luckily for me it is also an easy question to answer lol. In the bible it is written that we can only eat certain kinds of animals. It is written that kosher animals are animals which both chew their cud and have split hooves. Pigs do not chew their cud and therefore we do not eat them. Is that the same reason why Muslims don't? Or is it something else?

I wouldn't necessarily say that only religious Jews don't eat pig. Actually it's quite the opposite. It the only thing that most Jews observe. Meaning, I have many friends who aren't even remotely religious but they would never eat pig.

I don't not live in Israel currently/ full time. But I have lived there and I do own an apartment in Israel and travel their regularly.

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#30 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:01 AM

Great question Rena!!!

Luckily for me it is also an easy question to answer lol. In the bible it is written that we can only eat certain kinds of animals. It is written that kosher animals are animals which both chew their cud and have split hooves. Pigs do not chew their cud and therefore we do not eat them. Is that the same reason why Muslims don't? Or is it something else?

I wouldn't necessarily say that only religious Jews don't eat pig. Actually it's quite the opposite. It the only thing that most Jews observe. Meaning, I have many friends who aren't even remotely religious but they would never eat pig.

I don't not live in Israel currently/ full time. But I have lived there and I do own an apartment in Israel and travel their regularly.

thanks for answering!
and well for muslims we dont eat pork b/c the pig is the most unsanitary animal to eat
and thats cool! i visit my family every few years=)

#31 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

thanks for answering!
and well for muslims we dont eat pork b/c the pig is the most unsanitary animal to eat
and thats cool! i visit my family every few years=)

Not a problem! I am happy to answer any questions you have!
Ah got it, I think I knew that oops. So it's a little similar. We also believe that pigs are unholy ect.
Very cool! Where do they live? (if you don't mind me asking)

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#32 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:42 AM

Not a problem! I am happy to answer any questions you have!
Ah got it, I think I knew that oops. So it's a little similar. We also believe that pigs are unholy ect.
Very cool! Where do they live? (if you don't mind me asking)

not at all! they live in the west bank
but i've been(and forgive me i really dont know how to phrase this lol) to your side
the malls are really expensive(well i think) btw!

#33 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

not at all! they live in the west bank
but i've been(and forgive me i really dont know how to phrase this lol) to your side
the malls are really expensive(well i think) btw!

Hahaha no worries I understand. It's a complicated topic. Yeah they are very expensive and nothing ever goes on sale!!!

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#34 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

Oh my goodness rena and arie, I am SO happy that you ladies are talking about this. Even though I STILL don't understand the Israeli-Palestinian conflict this is exactly exactly exactly what I wanted to happen with this forum. I am so happy and content that both of you can talk openly about your respective religions without conflict and are open to learning about the others. And even though you aren't going to drop everything and go convert to something else - you both are staying true to you - you can also respect others in the process of respecting yourself. YAYYY! this is a small victory for me :) And of course, it is a victory for both of you to be so respectful of the other.

Yay! Many blessings upon you both. I hope that both of you never, EVER lose your love for learning!
Posted Image
Ninja Crew! <3

#35 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

Oh my goodness rena and arie, I am SO happy that you ladies are talking about this. Even though I STILL don't understand the Israeli-Palestinian conflict this is exactly exactly exactly what I wanted to happen with this forum. I am so happy and content that both of you can talk openly about your respective religions without conflict and are open to learning about the others. And even though you aren't going to drop everything and go convert to something else - you both are staying true to you - you can also respect others in the process of respecting yourself. YAYYY! this is a small victory for me :) And of course, it is a victory for both of you to be so respectful of the other.

Yay! Many blessings upon you both. I hope that both of you never, EVER lose your love for learning!

aww thank you karen! yes, even though this issue has been around as long as i can remember and im sure arie and i both have different views, i wont let those views get away in making freindships or i wont judge a person just on them
arie has been very kind also=)

#36 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

Karen, you are by far the sweetest, cutest person alive!!!! thanks so much, it means a lot to me that you noticed. I agree, this is definitely a victory to be proud of.

I actually have gotten into some fights online about this subject. It's something I regret and I am not proud of at all. But, someone on the old forums changed me. We began to speak and realized how much we had in common with each other. Not only did we both love fashion, but we shared a lot of the same political views. Which is not common by any means. She opened my eyes and helped me understand the whole situation in a brand new light. I owe my new attitude to her, I owe my openmindeness to her. I can't express how much it has helped me become the more liberal person I am today. And, how much I have passed on the things she shared with me to my friends and family. I have helped changed a lot of their views as well!! So this is also a huge personal victory for me, for being able to understand both sides of a story.

Rena, I would never ever ever dream of putting this in front of making a new friend. I did once, and I will never make that mistake again! Your questions are very honest and refreshing. Thank you so much for taking an interest!!! I look forward to getting to know you even better!

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#37 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:15 AM

Karen, you are by far the sweetest, cutest person alive!!!! thanks so much, it means a lot to me that you noticed. I agree, this is definitely a victory to be proud of.

I actually have gotten into some fights online about this subject. It's something I regret and I am not proud of at all. But, someone on the old forums changed me. We began to speak and realized how much we had in common with each other. Not only did we both love fashion, but we shared a lot of the same political views. Which is not common by any means. She opened my eyes and helped me understand the whole situation in a brand new light. I owe my new attitude to her, I owe my openmindeness to her. I can't express how much it has helped me become the more liberal person I am today. And, how much I have passed on the things she shared with me to my friends and family. I have helped changed a lot of their views as well!! So this is also a huge personal victory for me, for being able to understand both sides of a story.

Rena, I would never ever ever dream of putting this in front of making a new friend. I did once, and I will never make that mistake again! Your questions are very honest and refreshing. Thank you so much for taking an interest!!! I look forward to getting to know you even better!

thank you arie! i would really like to get to know you and your religion better, and let us both move past this conflict that others cannot seem to get away from

#38 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:21 AM

thank you arie! i would really like to get to know you and your religion better, and let us both move past this conflict that others cannot seem to get away from

Same! I would love to get to know you and your religion/culture better! Amen to that! I wish the whole world could do that!!!

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#39 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

aww thank you karen! yes, even though this issue has been around as long as i can remember and im sure arie and i both have different views, i wont let those views get away in making freindships or i wont judge a person just on them
arie has been very kind also=)

It is so important to look past our differences and what divides us to see what makes us similar instead. It's a good feeling, no?

Thank you so much arie! And isn't it funny how people just kind of walk into our lives and can open our eyes to a whole new world? It's truly the work of a higher power. And this is exactly why I don't believe there should be religious conflict - humans make the issues and God (or Allah, or whoever) brings people into our lives to show the absolute absurdity of our arguments and to open our eyes in a new light. I hope and pray that more people have the same experience you both have had and that people can look through the conflicts and realize that in the end, people are people and religion, skin color, sexual orientation, whatever, shouldn't separate them.
Posted Image
Ninja Crew! <3

#40 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:58 AM

It is so important to look past our differences and what divides us to see what makes us similar instead. It's a good feeling, no?

Thank you so much arie! And isn't it funny how people just kind of walk into our lives and can open our eyes to a whole new world? It's truly the work of a higher power. And this is exactly why I don't believe there should be religious conflict - humans make the issues and God (or Allah, or whoever) brings people into our lives to show the absolute absurdity of our arguments and to open our eyes in a new light. I hope and pray that more people have the same experience you both have had and that people can look through the conflicts and realize that in the end, people are people and religion, skin color, sexual orientation, whatever, shouldn't separate them.

I couldn't have said it better myself! I pray for the same thing each and every day!!

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users