The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Cycling Trips

As most of you know, I'm a cycling nut. My passion for cycling grew from a memoir I read and the need for transportation (I have not yet gotten a vehicle).

Over the past two years I have looked through many brochures that offer various independent and group or special event tours. I never considered myself fit enough to do a long distance ride. All of that is changing this year. I now have a 42-mile (67-kilometre) cycling tour coming up in 14 days and it's scaring the crap outta me. It tours the five boroughs of New York City and crosses some of the most historic bridges between the boroughs.

I have had friends and former teachers who have toured even longer distances. My former orchestra teacher rode, through a non-profit organization, from Richmond, Virginia to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to spread awareness about affordable housing. That was about a 450-mile (724-kilometre) trip.

Any of you members fancy doing one? Even for your own entertainment or to test yourself and see how strong you are?

It's a totally different feeling to tour the country (whichever country you are in) by bicycle. You are more susceptible to the weather and elements, but you breathe in fresh air. And you can see sites for yourself. It's a thought that the only fuel you use is energy from your body.

I'm planning on doing a 5km run at the end of next month (after my first cycling tour) and I'm looking into another cycling tour for the month of June, touring Upstate New York's Hudson River Valley. I'd love to also bike the east coast of the US (which is an EPIC dream of mine) through the East Coast Greenway (paths that connect park roads), which runs from Maine to Florida and parallels the famous Route 1. I've heard the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia and North Carolina are gorgeous. ^_^