The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Dame Maggie Smith

Or rather Margaret Smith whichever takes your fancy. I was recently in discussion on Twitter and some people didn't know who she was and I found this rather shocking.

How can you not know of Maggie Smith and her battle for cancer or to not have seen any of her other movies aside from Harry Potter. :/

Anyway she's a wonderful actress!

This is a lovely thread, Jade!

Maggie Smith is just incredible, and for anyone not to know one of the planet's finest actors is unbelievable.

I'll admit that I was introduced to a lot of British acting talent through the HP films, but this was primarily because I was at a young age when the first HP films came out so they were naturally the first of some of these actors' work that I saw. If it hadn't been for HP, I may not have known the actors as well, but I'm sure I would have seen or heard of the vast majority of them through other work.

It's really fortunate, actually, that we have the HP movies to introduce a younger generation to the prime of British acting talent. Through HP, young people are now able to recognise and take an interest in the adult cast of HP which will lead to an extended knowledge and appreciation of the actors' work and the film industry as a whole. I doubt there are many films which could claim that.

Concerning Maggie, I particularly loved her character in ITV's Downton Abbey last year - that's one FIERCE lady!

I think she has done a great job portraying Minerva McGonagall. I haven't seen many of her other roles. I remember Secret Garden, and the old Clash of the Titans was on TV recently.

I'm glad she recovered from her cancer, not only for her personally, but also that she could finish Harry Potter. I think we are fortunate that all the actors for the major characters have continued to the end, with the exception of Richard Harris.

I love Maggie Smith...the first thing I saw her in was Sister Act with Whoopie Goldberg. Maggies Smith was HYSTERICAL as Mother Superior...the next thing was HARRY POTTER AND SS...the next thing was Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood-watch her as an old Southern drinker and chain smoker-she is again hysterical!!! ;) But for me it was always be Minerva McGonagall-you almost wish you had a teacher like this ;)...best line to this day: "Mr. Leavis, that is the girl's lavatory and Potter, take Weasley with you. He looks far too happy over there". (HBP) ;) But I also adored her confrontation with Umbridge in OOTP... just cant wait to see our fierce protective professor in DH2!!!!!

Yes for Maggie to have battled cancer and won, God bless her heart. She is a true fighter.

Gosh I forgot about Sister Act! I love that movie! :D

Her son I seen on TV the other day, I was thinking omg he looks like Maggie Smith. Researched it and it was her son. :lol:

Gosh I forgot about Sister Act! I love that movie! :D

Her son I seen on TV the other day, I was thinking omg he looks like Maggie Smith. Researched it and it was her son. :lol:

Yea Sister Act is a really awesome movie! She does a really good job in it :D

Yes it does DW dont listen ;) Kidding!!!! :) I know Maggie Smith has had MANY MANY MANY roles and Sister Act wouldnt exactly be most memorable, although comedy wise I guess it would be :)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice topic, Jade! :) Maggie Smith is amazing. I saw her in one or two movies outside Harry Potter, but I can't really remember which ones...she's terrific :).

Thank you. :) Aww do you remember what they were about?

Thank you. :) Aww do you remember what they were about?

Erm...not really, and I doubt I saw the whole movie. It was one of those roles in which she really was a lady, if you know what I mean...oh I guess The Secret Garden was one of them! :)

I didn't know she had cancer by the way! :o So glad she recovered!