The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Mission Trip tomorrow!

tomorrow i'm leaving for a week to go to NYC for a mission trip with my youth group :)

i'm pretty nervous but excited because i love NYC!! :)

has anyone on here ever been on a Mission Trip before?

also i'll be sad i won't be able to be on here for a week :(

I'd love to go on a mission trip again!

When I was in 11th grade, I went on one for 2 days with 10th and 12th grade. We helped construct classrooms and a church a few hours away from Kampala.

I hope you enjoy your time! :D

tomorrow i'm leaving for a week to go to NYC for a mission trip with my youth group :)

Awesome!

I went to Fiji for 18 days on a Mission trip, we helped build houses, helped clean villages, talked to beggers, told testemonies at schools and acted out plays and lived in the villages. Was SO good! You will enjoy it so much!

I'd love to go on a mission trip again!

When I was in 11th grade, I went on one for 2 days with 10th and 12th grade. We helped construct classrooms and a church a few hours away from Kampala.

I hope you enjoy your time! :D

We did a bit of building on my trip, was so cool to see the look on the faces of the people who lived there, they were so happy for the extra help. The sad part was that directly across the road from the slum with no electricity was a HUGE mansion.

Awesome!

I went to Fiji for 18 days on a Mission trip, we helped build houses, helped clean villages, talked to beggers, told testemonies at schools and acted out plays and lived in the villages. Was SO good! You will enjoy it so much!

We did a bit of building on my trip, was so cool to see the look on the faces of the people who lived there, they were so happy for the extra help. The sad part was that directly across the road from the slum with no electricity was a HUGE mansion.

that sounds really cool! i wish we were going some place exciting like Fiji, but NYC is really cool too :)

A missions trip to NYC? That's almost strange. How will you guys be spreading the word there? Homeless people?

how is it strange? and we won't just be spreading God's word, we'll be doing work to help people. building things, feeding the homeless, etc. i don't know exactly what we'll be doing until i get there but we won't just be walking about talking about God. actually i'm 100% positive that we won't be going around talking about God since that's not what a mission trip is.

i mostly just know we'll be feeding the homeless and we'll be building a church or a school or something.

how is it strange? and we won't just be spreading God's word, we'll be doing work to help people. building things, feeding the homeless, etc. i don't know exactly what we'll be doing until i get there but we won't just be walking about talking about God. actually i'm 100% positive that we won't be going around talking about God since that's not what a mission trip is.

i mostly just know we'll be feeding the homeless and we'll be building a church or a school or something.

Wow this sounds AMAZING!!!! Have the best time ever!!! You are doing such a wonderful thing!!!! I am actually so jealous!!!

thank you :) i'm excited but a bit nervous

Aw don't be nervous!!!! Its going to be amazing!!!! I am sure you will learns much and feel amazing during it!!! Please make sure to post about it when you return!!!

thank you :) i'm excited but a bit nervous

Yeah, I was nervous before we left, not knowing what to expect. But once you get there your brain just clicks into gear and you forget about any nerves you had.

You will love it!

By mission I presume you mean far? But no I haven't left my country. Well it's been a week now so I presume you're back.

How was it my dear? Do fill us in!

alright, well. it was a pretty good experience.

the first day we did a prayer tour around the city. it was expremely tough! walking from 9am to 9pm. it was crazyyyyy. i ended up with 3 blisters on one foot.

the second day we packed food bags for low income families. it was really fun actually...and then afterwards we had to do this really tough challenge. we each had 2 dollars and we had to feed ourselves and someone else dinner. my group didn't finish our challenge though. we couldn't figure out the subway system and we couldn't find anywhere where we could find food for cheap. when we finally did we didn't have time to find someone homeless to feed. we were pretty disappointed that we didn't finish. :/ i was also not in a great mood that day because my foot hurt SOOOO bad from those blisters.

the third day we went to a homeless shelter type of place and helped fold towels, sheets, pillow cases, etc. it was pretty tough that day, but fun. the bags were super super heavy and i could not carry them anywhere haha i felt like a wimp :( but ohh well. then we had some free time so we went to this AWESOME candy store that had yummy candy everywhere!! it was so exciting!!!! that night we went to a church and cooked dinner for a group of homeless men. i'll never forget the people i met there. they were so greatful for our help! it meant so much to see them smile! this guy named James in particular i will never forget. he was so happy to have his salad :P and it was crazy because if i would've seen any of those people in the streets i would've never thought they would be homeless. they were clean and well groomed. some even had cell phones and one guy had a laptop. it was confusing at first. i was like how can they have this ? but then i had to think like they weren't always homeless. they had this stuff before they were homeless. it was scary to think about. i mean that could be any of us someday. i cried so much that night. it broke my heart.

then the next day we served lunch the homeless. it was pretty good to do. then we painted a mural for 911. it wasn't that exciting of a day but it was still nice to serve.

the last day was the most intense i think. we did something called the Relief Bus (look them up on facebook!) and we served soup to whoever came to get it. it was heart breaking. there were people there with their kids. i mean little kids who had nothing, it broke my heart. :( i also met two men that i will never forget! one man named Antonio who was just an adorable old man. he kept calling me AShley Judd hahah. he gave everyone a celebrity name. he was adorable. also this man Carlos opened up my heart. this man had no one. no family, no home, and just a few possessions, but he was okay. he was happy because he had God and that's all he needed. He got saved and cleaned up 6 months ago. he was addicted to alcohol but now he doesn't need it anymore and he goes around trying to show people that they don't need alcohol. he also gave me a bracelet that he got from his church. i've been wearing it everyday since. i never want to forget him. he showed me that i don't need my addictions to survive. all i need is God and everything will be okay. he was so excited because he was finally going to be able to get glasses so that he can read his bible easier. and he was excited because the salvation army was giving him money for clothes. he was getting his life together and he was giving all the glory to God! he was just an amazing man for God. i can't stop thinking and praying for him.

that was pretty much my trip/ :)

it really was. i had some difficult moments though with my depression and stuff but God really helped me through it and kept me strong. there were points where i would just go into the bathroom and burst out crying. :(

Just saw the pictures on the picture thread and it looks like you had a blast! So happy for you. Doesn't it feel great? :lol: Like to be helping other people and doing God's work at the same time...I was very moved the first time I went on a mission trip.

Edited by mischief.managed