Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

I will most certainly have a look into those two books, thank you very much.
The same night I asked that question I jumped on the Amazon website and googled "Christian Athletes" or something to that effect.
I've ordered myself another 4 autobiographies, which means I've ordered 7 autobiographies in total from Amazon o.O
I walked away with....

Josh Hamilton's Beyond Belief: Finding the Strength to Come Back (Some Baseball player)
Drew Bree's Coming Back Stronger: Unleashing the Hidden Power of Adversity (Some NFL player)
Tim Tebow's Through My Eyes (I'm pretty sure everyone knows who he is)
Defender of Faith: The Mike Fisher Story (Ice Hockey dude)

I don't know why but I enjoy reading books from people who have been at the very top at something. People who have become perfectionists at what they do and still look toward God.... Anyway they should keep me occupied for a little while when they show up!

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#22 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Mood::Tired..what else is new =P
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

yes! also, I think Gabrielle Giffords, the 16 year old olympic gymnast, is a Christian and there was someone else, as well, but I forget who he was :/
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#23 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

If you want religion in general you should read some Halocaust memoirs. There are some really wonderful ones that really do make you think and be very thankful. I can recommend a few, but the truth is they are all good.

I always like books that sort of compare and contrast a lot of the different religions. I know there are many out there that are just about Christianity and Judaism. I know you have an interest in Judaism so maybe this is something you should look into?

A lot of the bookstores here have religion sections, idk if its the same by you. Sometimes it's helpful just to goin and see what type of books are out there.

My AMAZING sig is courtesy of the lovely BoMa and Dax
thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#24 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Yeah I read the book "Girl Meets God" this summer and it's about a Jewish woman who converts to Christianity and I thought it'd be good but it really wasn't. You might like it, I don't know. It was funny in some parts but it was just meh to me. I thought it'd be much more heartfelt but the way she experiences Christianity is different from the way I do it so it was just okay I guess. And Arie's totally right, I bet Holocaust memoirs would be fantastic! My boyfriend just got back from the holocaust museum in DC the other day and he LOVED it. He said it was gritty and intense but fantastic. A little off topic, but yeah.
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#25 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

If you want religion in general you should read some Halocaust memoirs. There are some really wonderful ones that really do make you think and be very thankful. I can recommend a few, but the truth is they are all good.

I always like books that sort of compare and contrast a lot of the different religions. I know there are many out there that are just about Christianity and Judaism. I know you have an interest in Judaism so maybe this is something you should look into?

A lot of the bookstores here have religion sections, idk if its the same by you. Sometimes it's helpful just to goin and see what type of books are out there.

I shall check out some Holocaust Memoirs, don't you worry about that! We don't really have a decent sized book store within 30km from my house. But my Amazon ones arrived today so that'll hold me down for a while.

---------------------------

Karen... I have a question for you.
You were brought up Catholic right? and just recently been getting into the other sort of denominations around now?

Did you find the formality of Catholicism made it hard to connect with God on a real personal level? I've always wondered that, compared to the more "relaxed" style of other denominations.

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#26 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

Awesome! Let me know what you end up reading!

My AMAZING sig is courtesy of the lovely BoMa and Dax
thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#27 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

I shall check out some Holocaust Memoirs, don't you worry about that! We don't really have a decent sized book store within 30km from my house. But my Amazon ones arrived today so that'll hold me down for a while.

---------------------------

Karen... I have a question for you.
You were brought up Catholic right? and just recently been getting into the other sort of denominations around now?

Did you find the formality of Catholicism made it hard to connect with God on a real personal level? I've always wondered that, compared to the more "relaxed" style of other denominations.

Yep, I was raised Catholic :) I've found myself on a spiritual journey lately and it's been very difficult but also very rewarding. I'm content with not labeling myself as anything in particular and forming my own relationship with God - I know He will reveal all things to me in His time. So I'm cool with that!

Ok so here's the thing I didn't like about Catholicism. Yes, it was hard to connect with God through the formality of it all, and I also didn't agree with all of the doctrines of the Church. I'm not much into tradition and to be quite honest, Catholicism is dying out. People are sick of the formality, the restrictiveness, the old thought. The catholic church can't and won't gain more followers until it starts moving forward itself. Does that make sense? For me, that was one of the things.

But here's the thing. April 2011, my eyes were opened. That was something I needed to see God, to be able to listen to God, and understand Him better. Since moving back into school, I've been to catholic mass a couple of times because one of my roommates is a devout catholic. And I've found that since my eyes were opened, it's easier to go into a mass and hear God speaking. I still don't like some of the traditions but I've found that they aren't so important to me anymore. So it was more of a personal step that I needed to take and now I realize that religion can't contain God. :) Does that make sense? I hope that helped a little bit!
Posted Image
Ninja Crew! <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users