#21 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

She seems so very strategical in choosing her projects. She chose to do teen roles while she was still in that age range, now she chooses to do fantasy, possibly a new franchise, because it gives her the opportunity for behind the scenes work. Not sure if I like that.

But you forget she mentioned in an interview she'd love to write, direct, or produce. This is it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with her wanting to specialize in different areas of the filmmaking process.

set by ashley

213omyu.jpg

#22 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Mood::excited by tangents ô.Ô
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

But you forget she mentioned in an interview she'd love to write, direct, or produce. This is it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with her wanting to specialize in different areas of the filmmaking process.

No, but it seems to be different from what she has said before; something to the effect that she takes roles that touch her or feel important to her. But so far her post-HP choices can be interpreted to be simply the result of calculation.

"Ok, well, the 'hot bod' is not a characteristic."

#23 Roberto

Roberto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

She's definitely trying to work with specific people in the industry.

You can call that calculating if you want to, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't care about the work she's doing.

You must not mistake calculation for a lack of passion.

nL2DwrX.png

#24 Roberto

Roberto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Publication of the first title is planned in Bantam Press hardcover for summer 2014, with the mass market edition scheduled for the following year, ahead of the second book. Deals have already been signed in Brazil, with Suma de Letras; with Plaza Y Janes in Spain, and People's Press in Denmark.

Taylor said: "At Transworld, we set great store by the in-house enthusiasm a story generates, and the response I received from colleagues to The Queen of the Tearling was immediate and nothing short of rhapsodic . . . On the evidence of her devour-in-two-sittings debut, Erika Johansen is a born storyteller, and she's written a novel that is both gratifyingly full of classic fantasy tropes but also doing something intriguing, thrillingly different. For us, it was a simple case of 'must-have'."

Note: This info is from the U.K. publisher Transworld, so it doesn't really apply to the US release of the book.

Everyone seems to be going crazy over this book.

These publishing houses have paid millions for the rights and who knows how much Warner Bros. paid.

Edited by Roberto, 14 June 2013 - 11:33 AM.

nL2DwrX.png

#25 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

I smell this is gonna be huge. HUGE.

set by ashley

213omyu.jpg

#26 ling

ling

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yeah I mean, the book has to be good to get this much attention. Another Hunger Games or Divergent, I suppose. :)

#27 ling

ling

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Ach, Sacred. Who really cares? Say it today, forget it tomorrow. Fans buying everything, even if it is a twist in mind every 24 hours. We should get used to it by now. Remember? Degree in June 2013......

People's lives change. All the time. I mean, if we lined up all of your life choices, I'm sure you haven't done exactly everything you said you would do. You're divorced, aren't you? Possibly at one time said you'd always be working in your high flying PR job. I was going to university to become a teacher, became a designer instead, said I would never live outside of Canada because I was too patriotic. If you're a person, then your plans are changing constantly and as long as they're not hurting anyone should not be criticized. 

Emma's degree has nothing to do with her career. And she's hardly the first one to need to take an extra term or two or three. Plenty of my friends took two years before they even figured out what they wanted to major in. I took 3 gap years myself to take the time to explore, try different things, get some work done, etc. Maybe when you were growing up back in the dark ages people took very set paths from high school to university to a job and whatnot, but that's simply not how it's done nowadays.

#28 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Yeah I mean, the book has to be good to get this much attention. Another Hunger Games or Divergent, I suppose. :)

PRECISELY, but better coz Emma's attached to the project, even if as a executive producer.

set by ashley

213omyu.jpg

#29 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

While I am super excited for Emma to have a new project, I am skeptical. Why is there a movie already planned for a book that hasn't come out?! The summery seem great, but the book could suck! Seems a bit weird to me.

My AMAZING sig is courtesy of the lovely BoMa and Dax
thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#30 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

She's definitely trying to work with specific people in the industry.

You can call that calculating if you want to, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't care about the work she's doing.

You must not mistake calculation for a lack of passion.

yeah, she seems to try to walk a fine line there. Which may be ok as long as she doesn't contradict herself in regards to very recent statements (like, doing Shades after practically ruling it out).

#31 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

I smell this is gonna be huge. HUGE

I smell this is gonna be huge. HUGE.

Like from a Dino? OMG, again a fairy/princess/magical project.

She really changes her mind every 24 hours.

"Benutze es!" = "Use it!"

„Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.” John Updike

#32 Roberto

Roberto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

If the book is as good as it seems, then I'm glad the movie is being made before the books becomes popular.

One of the biggest problems with movies that are adapted from popular books is the pressure for it to be faithful.

A good book doesn't necessarily translate into a good film. It takes a lot of changes and adjustments to make it work for such a visual medium.

Also, I like that there won't be an assumption that the audience has read the books beforehand.

This just hurts the story because it rests upon the work of the original author and doesn't build its own world independent of it.

In order for this adaptation to work, they need to retain the main ideas, themes, and style from the book and recreate the central narrative.

Everything else will just serve as filler and bog down the script unnecessarily.

Hitchcock is famous for successfully adapting books into films and I always liked this quote about how he did it:

What I do is to read a story only once, and if I like the basic idea, I just forget all about the book and start to create cinema. Today I would be unable to tell you the story of Daphne du Maurier's The Birds. I read it only once, and very quickly at that.

That's taken from the book Hitchcock: A Definitive Study of Alfred Hitchcock by François Truffaut. 

You can actually listen to the full recordings Truffaut made of him interviewing Hitchcock for that book here:

http://www.hitchcock...faut_(Aug/1962)

nL2DwrX.png

#33 trixie

trixie

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

This doesn't sound like anything that I will watch. And its not even sure this project will happen at all. Many things left: Like the books aren't even out yet..

I really like your posts Ling!.

She really changes her mind every 24 hours.

^^ Oh well she's a woman,...

Edited by trixie, 15 June 2013 - 07:07 AM.

there's nothing I N T E R E S T I N G about being P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

#34 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Exactly Elena...Bonnie (Wright) has already done some directing....I will say this-Emma has so much film experience under her belt now-she knows how films are made, she has seen camera shots done, she knows how directors act...she is very creative and I can see her doing an amazing job behind the scenes. All the Potter cast has said that they want to work behind the cameras someday.

Trixie, we women ALWAYS have the right to change our minds right girl ;) "I can change my mind, a million times..." (Any Man of Mine, Shania Twain).

Posted Image

deeply inside credit (HP collection)

#35 Roberto

Roberto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

87.jpg

nL2DwrX.png

#36 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

So she is playing a 19 year old teenie-queen?

. . . .

Hey, Emma, we want you in ADULT movies, playing ADULT parts.

Time for fairytales is OVER.

„Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.” John Updike

#37 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hey, Emma, we want you in ADULT movies, playing ADULT parts.

Hey, be careful what you wish for. I'm sure they're gonna Game of Thrones this shit up anyway. So there'll be enough 'adult' content ;)

#38 ling

ling

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Wow I'm mad that I missed the World Fantasy Convention. They could use a new website.

#39 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

Trixie, we women ALWAYS have the right to change our minds right girl ;) "I can change my mind, a million times..." (Any Man of Mine, Shania Twain).

Yes, and we men have the right to suffer under these constant "changes of mind".......

#40 Roberto

Roberto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

A review of an early and unfinished draft of the book:

I obtained an ARC of this at the World Fantasy Convention 2013.

The first thing I feel needs to be said is...

... THERE IS NO ROMANCE!!!

And this is a good thing. A very good thing. Romance can come in the later books, if it needs to, but for now I am just so happy not to have a book with a female lead whose relationship issues are integral to the plot.

I started reading 'The Queen of the Tearling' (can I just call it QoT?) with a mood of doubtfulness. I've been burned too many times by hyped-up books that didn't deliver. From the back cover of my ARC and what I've read on the internet so far, I think we can expect a huge marketing drive from the publishers as the July 2014 publication date draws nearer, probably in the same style as The Bone Season this year. I certainly don't agree with the comparison that's already been suggested calling QoT "Game of Thrones for women"; GRRM's books are complex in a manner that no one has managed to successfully emulate. And I don't know if QoT is going to be the fantasy of the year or anything like that. But it's a very, very good read, and with a bit more editing would be worth a full 5 stars. 

I'm not going to give a plot blurb because Goodreads already has one. I'll start with Kelsea Glynn, the main character. She's one of the best female characters I've come across in fantasy in a while. Understandably given her circumstances, she's scared and uncertain, but she does the best she can. She does what she believes to be just even though she knows it may well be her undoing, and even her kingdom's. She feels lust for a man she doesn't think will ever want her, and she wishes she was beautiful, but these traits don't define her; they're not important at all. She's stubborn and apt to disagree with her protectors, but not stupidly so. I'm quite disappointed, really, that Emma Watson has been cast to play her in the already-planned film. Kelsea in the book is described as uncompromisingly plain, and knows that she won't be able to win her subjects over with beauty and grace. 

There's a fairly large cast of other characters, but the significant ones stand distinctive. Mace is Kelsea's main protector, and while at the beginning he seems like nothing more than a hard, blunt warrior his layers are gradually peeled away until you realise you like him almost as much as Kelsea. It's worth noting that Kelsea is the not the only POV we follow through the book; there are three others, and all manage to get well inside the heads of the characters in question except for one. The main antagonist, the Red Queen of Mortmesne, is sadly under-developed. Until the very end her POV fails to descend deep enough, and she reads as little more than a textbook, generic villain. The first time we meet her she's annoyed by the snoring of a slave, so she presses a button to summon her guards and orders his tongue to be cut out and his vocal cords severed. That scene was the only one in the book that had a sense of gratuitous, shock-factor evil (also, the image of the Queen having two buttons, one red and one black, in her room just feels ridiculous and out of place). Ultimately I think QoT would benefit from having the Red Queen's POV cut from it entirely.

There are a few other flaws. The descriptions, particularly at the beginning when Kelsea's riding towards her new Keep, felt rather bland and the use of a number of technical-sounding words like "continuous" gave the prose a sense of sterility. I didn't notice this so much as the book went on, so either I got used to it or the prose improved. One habit of the author's which I very much disliked - and which thankfully ceased after the first third or so of the book - was the way she broke up exciting, fast-moving scenes with unnecessary chunks of exposition. Characters recalling memories and giving us back story are fine, but not at climatic moments! 

I also felt a bit frustrated at the vagueness of the geography of the 'New World' that the story takes place within, though perhaps when QoT is published it'll come with a map. And there's always the next two books to develop the world further. 

For most of QoT, I wasn't on the edge of my seat; but soon after the beginning I began to itch to get back to it as soon as I could. Eventually as the plot heads to its climax it IS hard to put the book down, and there were moments when I felt genuine shock or sadness. 

It may be that this ARC was rushed to get it out in time for the World Fantasy Con, and that there'll be more editing before the publication date next July. I hope so, because with a little improvement QoT could easily be worth a full 5 stars. I'm sure it's going to do very well, especially if there's going to be a big marketing drive behind it. It's not THE book of the year for me, but it's one of them.

nL2DwrX.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users