The Emma-Watson.net Forum

So, J. Rowling's new book...

Are you talking about the book she published under her pseudo name? I think I read somewhere that only 1,500 copies were sold, but that it received really rave reviews. It was published around April. The description for this one didn't sound too bad, but I haven't read it yet.

The English (British?) press was all over Casual Vacancy with glowing reviews, so I'm skeptical, but of course that was published under JKR. I don't really read crime novels so basically I'm just curious about how far a cry it is from her other books.

Just heard this now. I don't really read crime novels and TCV wasn't my type of book either.

But JKR is indeed a great author and when I get bored and want something to read I will read this one.

I only liked half of the books she wrote(HP 1, 3, 4, 5,) don't think I'll be reading this anytime soon. From what I heard The Casual Vacancy is also not that interesting. I think it's good though she published a book with a pseudonym so it could be judged on it's own merits.

I never made it past the third chapter of The Casual Vacancy, so I'm not sure I'll like this one (crime isn't really my thing). I think my mom is planning on buying it, and we share a Kobo account, so I guess I may read it eventually.

It was not selling well, but that is normal for a first time author in a crowded genre. The people that had read it praised it highly though.

The information was reportedly leaked when a member of a legal firm connected to the book told his wife's friend. After betraying a client's trust like that, I would hope that member is no longer part of that legal firm.

Yes, after the news broke, the book became a best seller, but I think Rowling only cares about what people thought of the book before people knew it was her, and proud of the fact the reviews were good. After, people are just buying it because it's Rowling.

You read a lot of comments with people suggesting Rowling was behind the leak because the sales were poor. It's not like she needs any more money. I think it's like she says. The only way she can find validation as a writer, to know if people really like her work, is if people don't know it's her. I believe that's what is important to her, and that this leak really did disappoint and anger her.

• 9 years later...