The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Travel Vaccines

I'm going to be doing a bit of travelling next springtime around the world and it's come to that time where I need to get all my vaccines. I hate needles. But that's besides the point. I was wondering what vaccines you guys have had when you've been abroad? Most western countries you can go without anything, but I'll be heading to South East Asia, Australia and Fiji.

The risk from diseases varies greatly in different regions, but does anyone know what injections they had if they went to Thailand? I'm getting all the free ones, but things like rabies and Japanese encephalitis cost £120 each and the risk is low... so I'm just not sure. The only thing I'm pretty certain on is malaria tablets. What do you guys think?

hold on, let me get my vaccination card

i travelled around south east asia (vietnam, thailand, malaysia and singapore) this summer for a month and a half, and i needed some refills as well

i already have vaccine against hepatitis a and b, which will last the rest of my life (no need for refill)

when i went into the doctor, told her where i was going and got told i should get the vaccine for polio and typhoid.

i did not need malaria tablets when going those places, which were mainly tourist places. if i was travelling nort of thailand, or in the jungle, THEN i would need it

I have travelled a fair bit, and have paranoid parents who travel with me so ive been given a fair amount of the vaccinatons.

I only found out the list this year when i went to check with the doctor on if i needed any for my summer hol in Greece, and he showed me the amount i have had. Had both Heptitis's vaccinations, malaria tablets, Diptheria, typhoid, a meningitis one. I have been to exotic places for holidays so my parents tended to go overboard, even if the doctor said its recomended and not compulsary.

Perhaps just go to the doctor and get a list of the most needed ones, also the vaccinations will vary on how they work if you are staying long in the country. For eg, i think that japanese vaccine is recomended if your constantly in and out of the country and also staying quite a while. to my knowledge i dont think any vaccinations are needed for australia :)

Edited by Imagine

Can't help ya there. I've never been a broad. I've been a guy my whole life.

I expect nothing less from the great man The Dude, you are about as manly as it gets. In fact just replying to you has made me want to go cook a steak for myself.

if you go Australia this time of year, make sure u have a lot of sunscreen, it gets pretty hot here... thats pretty much take care of everything here hahaha

Yep, I'll literally be showering in it every morning.

hold on, let me get my vaccination card

i travelled around south east asia (vietnam, thailand, malaysia and singapore) this summer for a month and a half, and i needed some refills as well

i already have vaccine against hepatitis a and b, which will last the rest of my life (no need for refill)

when i went into the doctor, told her where i was going and got told i should get the vaccine for polio and typhoid.

i did not need malaria tablets when going those places, which were mainly tourist places. if i was travelling nort of thailand, or in the jungle, THEN i would need it

Yeah, I'm only going south Thailand, and the islands, Ko Samui, Ko Phangan etc. where the health care is supposed to be quite good. I've got insurance and everything.

I have travelled a fair bit, and have paranoid parents who travel with me so ive been given a fair amount of the vaccinatons.

I only found out the list this year when i went to check with the doctor on if i needed any for my summer hol in Greece, and he showed me the amount i have had. Had both Heptitis's vaccinations, malaria tablets, Diptheria, typhoid, a meningitis one. I have been to exotic places for holidays so my parents tended to go overboard, even if the doctor said its recomended and not compulsary.

Perhaps just go to the doctor and get a list of the most needed ones, also the vaccinations will vary on how they work if you are staying long in the country. For eg, i think that japanese vaccine is recomended if your constantly in and out of the country and also staying quite a while. to my knowledge i dont think any vaccinations are needed for australia :)

I think I've got all the essential ones. I was just worrying about rabies as I've heard there can be a fair few stray dogs moping around. But to be honest as long as I steer clear it shouldn't be a problem. The £120 I save can pay for a couple of nights out in Sydney.

Cheers for the help guys.

I've never ventured beyond Tenerife (and until I started going away without my parents - Wales :lol: ) so I can't help on the vaccine front.

It sounds very exciting the traveling around your going to be doing, I had a mate who did something similar for a year and it was a fantastic experience, sadly I have neither the time or money but it's something I would love to do myself one day.