The Emma-Watson.net Forum

My grandparents used to migrate to Florida for the winter lol so I used to go every years. I actually found it quiet boring. I am sure Orlando is a lot more fun. But, I was in Miami with a ton of old people and I was rather young and couldn't enjoy all the clubs and such.

I had/have tons of relatives who live in Florida. As I'm quite used to the North, Florida is a place that is great to visit on the off-season (from the North). I lost count how many times I've been to Florida to visit. I spent a little over 5 weeks on holiday there, in Central Florida (close to Orlando).

My trip included experimenting with blueprints and design (only second-hand, I obviously did nothing about creating them), learning about the preservation of historical architecture, and attending business lunches. I actually helped strip down an old table entirely and refinished it. That was quite a lot of work. <_<

I think everyone who hasn't been to Florida prefers to visit Orlando first. You have MGM, Universal Studios, Disney (I went to Downtown Disney and saw a Cirque show, as well as "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" on big screen), and now the Harry Potter Wizardry World. Once you branch out from there, you can really enjoy certain sites.

On the off weekends, especially on our Independence Day, I went out on a nineteen-foot sailboat on the Intercoastal waterways of Florida's coasts (Intercoastal = The water between the coast of Florida and barrier-like islands which separates it from the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico) and spent each of those weekends sailing. I learned tons about the technicals of moving a boat, keeling (tilting the boat), keeping water out of the boat (don't ask!), and actually maneuvering it through shallow water. I wouldn't give up that experience for anything in the world.

We sailed next to dolphins, saw fish jump out of the water, saw an alligator crawling back into the water (by which point we hopped back into the boat :o ). On the West coast of Florida is a set of islands known as the Ten Thousand Islands. Most of these islands are largely uninhabited but make great places for spending a few hours and barbequing. Among these islands is Sanibel Island.

I also went to the east coast and sailed past Cape Canaveral, where NASA has its headquarters.

Anywho, here are some pictures while we were docked off a marina on either one of the coasts (I can't remember which...probably West coast):

Daytime shot

Nighttime shot

^ Pardon the picture quality; I never had a chance to clean up the scan, which was done on a very outdated scanner seven years ago.

At certain times during the year, in the Gulf of Mexico, there is a phenomenon called bioluminescence. Bioluminescence originates from the light which is emitted from an organism. In this case, the algae in the water lit and on a clear night a friend navigated a dinghy (which is a very small boat, sometimes with a motor) and we rode on top of a light yellowish-greenish neon water.

Very eerie, but cool. ^_^

• 3 months later...

I love Florida, and would love to live there, in Orlando, someday.

Well, it wound up not being Orlando, but I got the next best thing! My father and I moved to Boca Raton, FL two weeks ago and we both love it. Here are some pictures:

I'm on the second and third floor

This is the health club (they like to call it the country club)

The last three pictures was the movie theater. It's called Cinemark PALACE 20.

It's a nice place to visit during the Fall season (very hot during the summer). The food is good, the area is beautiful, and the houses are in the multi-million range (so, a bit of eye-candy ^_^).