Photo

Fiction or Non-Fiction

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Fiction or Non-Fiction

Which do you prefer reading?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Mood::giggidy
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

Pretty self-explanatory; we're all in a fan forum for an actress known for her role in a fictional story. That being said what do you all prefer to read? Fantasy, sci-fi, Japanese manga, etc. versus biography, current affairs, world history, etc.

Personally, I don't mind picking up a fiction book once in a while but I'm just more interested in reading non-fiction. Some of my favourite books are Freakonomics and Black Hawk Down, both about historical accounts and current affairs.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#2 padfoot

padfoot

Respected Member

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:07 AM

Fiction. I do enjoy true stories and world history etc too, though.

#3 Slash

Slash

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts
  • Mood::Rock n Roll
  • LocationIn Chat

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:35 AM

both
Take Me Down to the Paradise City Iii|; )

Posted ImagePosted Image
the beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the beauty of her face, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart - the place where love resides

Twins: Arie <3.Children: Denisse and Tom Sister:Alex, Kim, Karen.
Niece: Amby Brother: Chandler, P.Jon is my grandad.Dina is the amazing kouhai.

#4 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

both

One or the other for preference. I didn't put in a poll choice for "both" exactly for this reason.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#5 Kim.

Kim.

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Mood::Fearless.
  • LocationCamping out in a positive frame of mind.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

One or the other for preference. I didn't put in a poll choice for "both" exactly for this reason.

Well, you didn't put a choice for "both" in the poll, which is why I null voted. I do not prefer fiction over non-fiction or vice versa. I consider myself to a voracious reader, and I read anywhere between exclusive full-fiction and prose/poetry to non-fictional books that cannot exclusively be labeled to historical reference or world affairs.

A non-fiction book can have a fictional style or matter of poetic voice. Writers can choice the level of formality they would like to write their book or pieces with. Right now, I'm reading (How to Mentor--and Find Life's Purpose) Guiding Lights by Eric Liu. This author examines teaching relationships both inside and outside the scope of education, using an informal and flowing sense of narration while intertwining his own experience within each relationship (the relationships he examines in other people are taken from a variety of backgrounds: acting, baseball, etc.) in his narration. I do enjoy his theses and theories portrayed with fact-based knowledge and personal experience.

I have read excerpts, while studying in class a while back, of Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed, which is exclusively a non-fiction philosophical treatise regarding education. I enjoyed what I had read. I also have pleasure reading Malcom Gladwell's The Tipping Point and Outliers; his diction lands between the two works I had mentioned.

As for fiction: My favorite contemporary authors are J.K. Rowling (duhh :P ) and Ann Brashares, but I also love classic writers like Thomas Hardy, Joseph Conrad, George Orwell, Ernest Hemingway, and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I guess I do not have a particular preference in either classification because my last two years of high school and the time I spent in university brought me to have to read non-fiction to examine and write about the fiction I had read. There's always something to learn in anything really.
Posted Image

A BIG thanks to the beautiful BoMa, my big sister <3. I know I haven't been around much to talk, but you're more than amazing and I'm so happy to receive this graphic as a gift. Thanks for being so kind-hearted. ;)

Quotes Which Resonate with Me:
"There is no success without determination" -K.S., #24. RIP <3, 2009.
"I don't need any of you to approve of my decisions, I need ya'll to respect them" -Sandra Bullock in 'The Blind Side'.
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstance. The people who get on in the world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." -George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright.

#6 Amir Jafari

Amir Jafari

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Mood::I'm a "Zakhar"
  • LocationIran

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

Fiction

Better
Posted Image

#7 Comrade Chris

Comrade Chris

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationProbably in the woods

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

non-fiction for me as i adore reading books on WW2 and the current war in Afghanistan..

#8 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

non-fiction for me as i adore reading books on WW2 and the current war in Afghanistan..

Read a book called Ghost Wars by Steve Coll. It goes into detail about the build up to Operation: Enduring Freedom starting all the way back to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan as well as the creation of al Qaeda.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#9 honeytinkle

honeytinkle

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Mood::In love
  • LocationSnowcold Sweden

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

I prefer fiction, or I think it's easier to read. But I love reading non-fiction too, especially history and mythology.

Posted Image

#10 Carlyn

Carlyn

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

I prefer fiction because I like to read about fantasy. I do read non fiction books sometimes, like if one of my favourite celebrities have written an autobiography, I will read them. I also like to read the autobiographies of people I don't like or who have done bad things just so I know what it was that they were thinking at the time and how they justify what they did.

#11 Vafthrudnir

Vafthrudnir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBeyond the beef.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

Usually fiction. But it's nice to read the news on the crapper.

#12 fatedtopretend

fatedtopretend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationOhio, United States

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

Fiction

#13 2 Pints

2 Pints

Advanced Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

fiction
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

my pottermore name- WolfSun47

#14 Zainab

Zainab

Novice Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationMuharraq, Bahrain

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

i love fiction :excited:

tumblr_lmxfordnke1qe36eno1_500.jpg

#15 Bagel of Death

Bagel of Death

Dedicated Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Mood::Pensive
  • LocationHot n' Sweaty Arizona!

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:06 AM

I enjoy both, but fiction gets my vote. Particularly fantasy and horror, as I believe it's possibly the hardest thing in the world to write. The power of imagination that it takes to create unique worlds, with their own ecology, economy, species, races, civilizations, religions, etc and set these up together to create a working, living and breathing universe on top of creating an original, interesting story between strong and memorable characters, is something worth loving.

34dpea0.gif

The AR Family: Chris (husband) ; Arie (daughter) ; Sarah (pet penguin) ; Jade (niece) ; Jon (father)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users