The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma in "While We're Young"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This almost sounds like a straight comedy.

Sorta like an inverted 13 Going on 30, except without the love story (or any significant male character).

Hopefully Chbosky can handle the cheesiness of the setup and give it some real dramatic weight.

Is she now in panic accepting every offer? What a C-movie must this "comedy" be, a old, often used plot, one time funny, then boring.....

Please, god, send this girl someone who can point her career in the right direction.

And - Emma: only because you liked to work with Chbosky, there is no need to accept each and everything.....

I do like how this is the complete opposite in tone when compared with Your Voice In My Head.

She needs to branch out and show her range, and this definitely attempts to accomplish that.

BTW, the writers here also adapted 'The Spectacular Now' and the upcoming 'The Fault in Our Stars'. (Both of which are excellent books.)

Not really spreading her wings there, I think. There will certainly be some serious undertones amid the light banter. Kinda like with Perks, just a little more quiet. She might not have accepted the role if it wasn't for Chbosky.

Maybe you are right. What me surprises is the fact, that one year ago no plot and no script was good enough for her, and now there is one "projekt" after another. Has she scaled down her demands for quality and content so far?

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Not really spreading her wings there, I think. There will certainly be some serious undertones amid the light banter. Kinda like with Perks, just a little more quiet. She might not have accepted the role if it wasn't for Chbosky.

But in Perks the undertones were depressingly grim.

I'm sure he'll focus on the philosophical questions at hand, but any drama that would arise probably won't be steeped in mental illness or suicide.

Staying away from those dark subjects would make any film seem downright chipper in comparison.

Maybe you are right. What me surprises is the fact, that one year ago no plot and no script was good enough for her, and now there is one "projekt" after another. Has she scaled down her demands for quality and content so far?

She's graduating in a couple months.

Now that she won't be in school, she can act full time.

But in Perks the undertones were depressingly grim.

I'm sure he'll focus on the philosophical questions at hand, but any drama that would arise probably won't be steeped in mental illness or suicide.

Staying away from those dark subjects would make any film seem downright chipper in comparison.

That's what I meant by more quiet. Thing is I have an easier time picturing her as someone who's intense (or bipolar and suicidal) like in YVIMH rather than her being in a comedy. But we'll see.

BTW, the writers here also adapted 'The Spectacular Now' and the upcoming 'The Fault in Our Stars'. (Both of which are excellent books.)

YESSS. I am definitely on board with this. Such a good team.

I think it's going to be confusing with another movie named "While We're Young" currently filming with Amanda Seyried, Naomi Watts, Ben Stiller, etc.

Well it's still in early stages, there could be a name change (although it looks like there already was one from the source material).

Yes, she should. But a sophisticated one, written and directed by Richard Curtis (for example), not this rubbish.

Aren't his movies just as corny and sentimental as Chbosky?

Chbosky may be newer at it, but I think their styles are remarkably similar, for better or for worse.

Aren't his movies just as corny and sentimental as Chbosky?

Chbosky may be newer at it, but I think their styles are remarkably similar, for better or for worse.

No, Curtis is writing/directing perfect english comedy; Chbosky will do comedy "american style". And Emma is a english girl, so she should make a english comedy. She is not and will never be a "american girl", and no trained accent can ever achive this.

Whoa, whoa. How can anyone determine whether or not something is rubbish from a 4 sentence summary? We know that the writing team is excellent (have any of you seen The Spectacular Now? You should.), we know that Emma works well with Chbosky, and you should maybe look a bit at the source material before you write it off as some silly slapstick comedy a la Freaky Friday. Here is an excerpt from the novel. I found it to be quite serious. Less of mothers and daughters misunderstanding each other in "funny" situations, but more of showing how there are some aspects of our lives wherein lie the "generational gap," and some where we're probably more similar than we realize. It seems more about facing mortality and regretting how you spent your youth. I'm going to read the rest of the book soon.

Now, from having gathered all of these bits of information, I don't think it will be some silly 30 Going on 30 remake, or anything of the sort. I think it will be a indie-esque (as the creative team would suggest) film, of a generational story probably showing how much more opportunity women have today (while maybe showing how we still face issues even today), and dealing with mortality, youth, life's decisions. I definitely think it will be intelligent, probably a little bit quirky, and have some fun bits. But I don't think it will be some big, crazy, summer blockbuster romp for the whole family. 

American comedies can be just as good as English comedies.

Neither is superior to the other. They're just different.

Emma should not limit herself to just the films that people expect her to be in.

She needs to challenge those expectations and prove how versatile an actor she can be.

American comedies can be just as good as English comedies.

Neither is superior to the other. They're just different.

Emma should not limit herself to just the films that people expect her to be in.

She needs to challenge those expectations and prove how versatile an actor she can be.

- Yes, if directed by Billy Wilder (a Austrian guy) or Mel Brooks.

- Hmmm..... Maybe you are right, but not with that plot and Chbosky as director.

- We expect nothing. She tries hard to be part of the AMERICAN film industry and is treated by this industry as a cash-cow, not less, not more.

- Of course we cannot stop her to do such rubbish; in the end Emma is always right.

@ ling: Movie-plots, already used in many, many films (I will try to make a list later), are simply boring. But with "Emma Watson" on the poster, even the greatest shit turns into gold for the producers, because of her devoted fans,......

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Yeah, the story isn't the newest most groundbreaking story, but, really, what is, these days? There are a lot of similar stories because we as humans tend to value these themes of life and death and how we spend our time. Just because something has been explored once, doesn't mean it can't be explored again. Different people bring different things to a story. Stories can enter your life at different times and take on new meanings. There are countless examples of similar premises that end up being very different. Compare a 4 sentence summary of, say, The Hunger Games to Battle Royale and I bet they sound like the same thing, but it's the nuances that really bring things to life and morph them into something completely different. I feel sad for anyone who thinks they've seen and heard it all; that there's nothing new to think about and explore simply because one story might have similarities to some other stories.

Yeah, the story isn't the newest most groundbreaking story, but, really, what is, these days? There are a lot of similar stories because we as humans tend to value these themes of life and death and how we spend our time. Just because something has been explored once, doesn't mean it can't be explored again. Different people bring different things to a story. Stories can enter your life at different times and take on new meanings. There are countless examples of similar premises that end up being very different. Compare a 4 sentence summary of, say, The Hunger Games to Battle Royale and I bet they sound like the same thing, but it's the nuances that really bring things to life and morph them into something completely different. I feel sad for anyone who thinks they've seen and heard it all; that there's nothing new to think about and explore simply because one story might have similarities to some other stories.

I see your point; on the other hand I say, "A told story is a told story....". Imagine somebody would redo Harry Potter, because he wants to value these themes of "life and death" or "good or bad" again.... Outcry! So it is here. I do not know the best movie with this "old turns young" plot, but I am sure, there is one and so the story is already told.

So you think if someone does make a film, and that film is somehow voted on as "the best film of this general plot ever" that nobody should ever even try to tell the story again, maybe even in a better way? 

So you think if someone does make a film, and that film is somehow voted on as "the best film of this general plot ever" that nobody should ever even try to tell the story again, maybe even in a better way? 

I cannot answer this question because I do not know the best movie about this plot. It's like: "Billy Wilder did this stuff - and Chbosky can do it BETTER ????"

In fact, I do not care about the movie itself, my concern is that Emma is accepting each and everything now. YVMH is the only real reasonable project which can push her forward a lot; all the other fairytale-stuff is as I said - golden shit for the producers.

It's just that all these filmmakers you evidently admire weren't born amazing filmmakers. They weren't always well-known, and they weren't always the best at what they do or did. You can only learn to become a brilliant filmmaker by being a filmmaker. There are plenty of up-and-coming filmmakers that deserve a chance for their work to be seen before being written off. Chbosky did a good job with Perks, and he'll likely only improve. There's no reason to believe that he could not one day be seen as a great filmmaker. Only time will really tell. If every new creative person looked around and thought "well, shit, Van Gogh/The Beatles/Scorsese did something kind of like that, better pack it in and not even try," we'd live in a very sad, uninspiring world indeed. 

As for Emma's choices, I trust her to pick projects she will enjoy. Firstly, I know that she has greater insight into the material and production at this point than any of us do, and probably has a clearer vision of what she wants to accomplish in this role. Secondly, even if she just wants to do it because it would be fun, she could spend time with old friends and make new ones, etc, I'm not going to fault her for that. I recently had the choice between a rather important corporate job that required international travel in Cambridge and I turned it down in favour of a more relaxed, and ultimately more fun life in Brighton, because I'm 25 and what I want right now is to enjoy myself. So, if Emma wants to choose roles that are a bit more fun, or stagger them between more serious roles like YVIMH, I totally understand that.