Emma to star in Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast'

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 actors who could be the Beast to Emma Watson’s Belle

BY MELODY L. GOH

It's a tale as old as time.

Some of our choices could also play Gaston in Disney’s new Beauty And The Beast.

Yesterday, Disney announced that it has cast Emma Watson to play one of the lead characters â€“ Belle – in its upcoming project, Beauty And The Beast. The film is a live-action adaptation of the popular animated feature released 24 years ago.

While everyone is excited that the 24-yeard-old Watson made the cut (she’s pretty much like Belle: Smart, loves to read, keen to explore the world, a feminist), we’re wondering who would play the part of the Beast/Prince.

Based on our totally made up list of requirements**, we’ve chosen 10 actors who could take up the role of the Beast or even Gaston, whom we feel is also an important character in the movie.

1. Theo James

Height: 1.83m

To play: Beast

Theo James made waves last year co-starring in the movie Divergent with Shailene Woodley. He’s fit though a little lean, but that’s nothing a few hours at the gym and half a ton of protein can’t fix.

2. Douglas Smith

Height: 1.91m

This Canadian actor played a clumsy cyclops in Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters a few years back, and will next be seen in Terminator: Genisys. He’s definitely tall enough to play either the Beast or Gaston, but his “resting niceface†is just not right for the latter character.

To play: Gaston

We loved British actor Josh Bowman on Revenge and we don’t think he would have a problem playing an obnoxious guy like Gaston, what with that perpetual smug look on his face. Also, he’s got chest hair (see **list of requirements).

Height: 1.80m

To play: Beast/Gaston

Hello? This is Kili we’re talking about (from The Hobbit films) – of course he can play the Beast or even Gaston. Besides, Irish actor Aiden Turner doesn’t really have much on his plate now that the trilogy is all done so give the guy some work, Disney.

5. Alex Pettyfer

Height: 1.81m

British actor Alex Pettyfer was once in a film called Beastly which was pretty much a (failed) modern version of the Beauty And The Beast fairytale. Also, he was in Magic Mike so he can ... dance.

6. Nicholas Hoult

Height: 1.9m

To play: Beast/Gaston

Remember this guy from About A Boy? He was the “boyâ€. Also, remember Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy aka Beast in the newer X-Men films? We’re telling you this to remind you that even though he still has those babyface looks from About A Boy, he can also look a little gruff when he needs to. We’d really love to see him as Gaston but his lack of chest hair disturbs us (see **list).

7. Sam Claflin

Height: 1.8m

British actor Sam Claflin is more popularly known these days as the guy from The Hunger Games, rather than just as the guy who saved the mermaid in Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. He played Prince William in Snow White And The Huntsman so he has some um, experience.

Height: 1.91m

The younger Hemsworth brother, Liam, would be perfect as Gaston except for the fact that he only has a tiny bit of chest hair.

Ryan Guzman may have made a name for himself as that guy who could dance in Step Up: Revolution (he was also in Step Up: All In), but these days he’s known as the teenager who slept with – and then taunted – Jennifer Lopez in The Boy Next Door.

10. Aaron Taylor-Johnson

Height: 1.8m

British star Aaron Taylor-Johnson is so buff now you could hardly believe that he once played nerd-turned-vigilante Dave Lizewski in Kick-Ass. We think he would have no problem playing somebody who’s burly and brawny like Gaston.

**List of requirements:

1. Must be tall (for Beast and Gaston)

2. Must have chest hair (Gaston)

3. Must be good at expectorating (Gaston)

4. Must be physically fit (for both, although not necessarily over-the-top bulky like Dwayne Johnson. Also, scrawny actors could always undergo a few months of rigorous training prior to filming.)

5. Must be good looking (mostly for Gaston)

6. Must be able to sing (for everyone in the film, unless Disney decides to nix the singing!)

7. Preferably under 35 years old (Watson is 24)

8. Must NOT be Johnny Depp

http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifestyle/Entertainment/Movies/News/2015/01/28/10-actors-who-could-be-the-Beast-to-Emma-Watsons-Belle/

Edited by Szalka

I can spit with the best of them!!  If fact, I'm "especially good at expectorating", haha!

:(    Sadly, I don't think I meet any of the other requirements.

^^^My first thought when I caught a glimpse of the Beast: Hermione after drinking Polyjuice Potion. :P This Beast looks a lot like the one from the original film from 1946. Btw, I have to see this new version. Vincent is such a good actor!

When it comes to the casting, I’d go with Liam or… well, I’ve always had a soft spot for Alex Pettyfer. But I'm not sure if either of them can sing. 

Keeping in mind that they had a budget of about $40 million, the motion capture here is very rudimentary.

It seems like they were only able to track eye and mouth movement.

Current state of the art motion capture is much better at tracking minute facial expressions and movements.

Edited by Roberto

I can spit with the best of them!!  If fact, I'm "especially good at expectorating", haha!

:(    Sadly, I don't think I meet any of the other requirements.

Lol I can top that, I meet requirements 1. , 2. , and 8. :rolleyes: 

The Tracking Board claims that Ryan Gosling is "Disney's top choice" for the male lead, and that they've officially offered him the part.

Gosling has been meeting with a lot of studios about big budget blockbusters recently, though none have stuck yet.

He met with Marvel for 'Doctor Strange' and Warner Bros. for 'Suicide Squad', but he purportedly didn't want to have to sign the multi-film contracts that accompany them.

Not sure if he's serious about going back to mainstream, but this would be a one-and-done deal for him so it's certainly possible.

Edited by Roberto

LOL girl. You're loosing your s**t over Ryan I see. I prefer Dan. But he is not very tall for the role. That's ok, he's tall in my book.

Ok so I hope There's Time this year for both Beauty and Lalalalaland.

"Emma Thompson will play a little teapot, short and stout, complete with handle and spout.

The Oscar-winning actress is in negotiations to play Mrs Potts, the housekeeper turned into a teapot, in the live action film version of Disney’s Beauty And The Beast.

The kindly Mrs Potts helps Belle, the tale’s heroine, sort out her romantic entanglements. Emma Watson will star as Belle.

Director Bill Condon has been working with composer Alan Menken about which songs from the 1991 animated movie will feature in the new picture.

I suspect all of them, because they've become popular classics."

HEHE OH YEAH Elena ;) Ryan Gosling...hot hot hot ;) if I had my picking I would choose Rupert- for all obvious reasons because they are former co-stars plus buds but also best chemistry on planet IMO-but also Rupert looks like a lion with some of his reactions in HP.

Emma Thompson sounds perfect ;) who else do you all see? I see Cogsworth played by Nathan Lane-I saw him in Mirror, Mirror and just see him as that role :)

Who do you all see as The Beast and other characters? Like Gaston? He is probably way too old but I see Patrick Wharbutton.

For Beast, I truly can't think of the perfect Beast...

I am so freakin excited for this!!!!!!

Who knows Elena ;) I love that the HP cast are with each other in their projects- I believe it is what most British actors do, but I think it is sweet :)

Very cool Roberto! :) Emma will nail her singing...anyone see Moulin Rouge? Nicole Kidman was AWESOME. Sorry just thought of Moulin Rouge for some reason LOL

what am I looking at?

and who is peter j cook? I'll just google him, but unsure if he's worth my time. ok, I'll give him a minute of my time.

I already know she has talent so I am sure she'll be on top of her game singing. sang, it gurl!

I can't wait for this movie, I am really happy and also excited for Emma on her role. <3

Concerning the beast, there is actually a french version of beauty and the Beast that is quite reacent, and they did a good job with the graphics, the special effects, etc... 

Watched that movie too, and they really did a good job on the movie. I like the effects, graphics and all. (: