Ashley

Extreme Poster

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,079 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:33 AM

from Just Jared:

Emma Watson has started her very own book club — but not just any book club, a feminist book club.

Here’s what the 25-year-old actress and activist wrote to fans on her official Facebook:

“As part of my work with UN Women, I have started reading as many books and essays about equality as I can get my hands on. There is so much amazing stuff out there! Funny, inspiring, sad, thought-provoking, empowering! I’ve been discovering so much that, at times, I’ve felt like my head was about to explode… I decided to start a Feminist book club, as I want to share what I’m learning and hear your thoughts too,” she wrote.

Emma added, “The plan is to select and read a book every month, then discuss the work during the month’s last week (to give everyone time to read it!). I will post some questions/quotes to get things started, but I would love for this to grow into an open discussion with and between you all. Whenever possible I hope to have the author, or another prominent voice on the subject, join the conversation.

“If you fancy it, please join up and participate. Everyone is welcome. I would be honoured!”

I'm actually pretty excited about this! I want to learn more about Feminism since I'm pretty ignorant on the subject! I doubt I'll be able to buy every book each month, but I'll be excited to be directed to the right reading material!

#2 Thessalie

Thessalie

Dedicated Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Exactly!

That is a brilliant idea of hers, I'm actually willing to participate if I can get the book. 

That is a perfect way to spread feminism : share ideas, make people think and form an opinion whithout having a real leader influencing the dialogue (I mean, during the talks afetr reading the book, the leading idea being what's in the book). 

[That's the exact moment when I regret the most not being bilingual in English, cause I can't properly explain myself as I would do in Franch!]

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself. 

Desiderata

Max Ehrmann

#3 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

I joined riight away, because I followed her since her first speech, and this is interesting.

sw70v4.jpg

#4 Álmok

Álmok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • Mood::><
  • LocationArab World

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

This is really interesting, but I guess if was more about just books in general maybe it would be more appealing to everyone. I'm actually not interested of the feminist books much, yet it would be great to give it a try!

Ashley feminist books mostly talking about women's rights, rights for education and equality. These are the major themes of every book!

#5 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

You know it's a feminist bookclub at the very roots, so what else can you expect? Robinson Crusoe?

sw70v4.jpg

#6 Álmok

Álmok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationArab World

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

well, even Robinson Crusoe is good. I guess you are aware that literature is not just about "feminist" and as I said if it was about literature in general, it would be more appealing and this is my point of view. I'm not forcing you to accept what I say, but there are many other topics in literature it would be good to discuss these from different analysis theories. Hope you read about this to be more informative instead of getting annoyed or whatever it is! 

#7 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

well, even Robinson Crusoe is good. I guess you are aware that literature is not just about "feminist" and as I said if it was about literature in general, it would be more appealing and this is my point of view. I'm not forcing you to accept what I say, but there are many other topics in literature it would be good to discuss these from different analysis theories. Hope you read about this to be more informative instead of getting annoyed or whatever it is! 

I could never get/be annoyed or angry, pissed at, or whatever over someone's opinion, I know my stuff and you everybody else knows theirs.

Fact is, she's still a Women's Goodwill ambassadress, working on women's right which is human rights yes. But she's taking small steps, trying to open people's minds about equality and feminism, what that stuff means etc. You cannot build an empire overnight. Read that stuff to broaden your horizons, don't pull it away just because it's all about women.

sw70v4.jpg

#8 Álmok

Álmok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationArab World

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

^

Dear, I'm a woman myself and I guess there are other cases could be good to open other people's mind about as well as feminism, but anyway I don't like to discuss this more with you as your attitude is annoying and so defensive! 

#9 Thessalie

Thessalie

Dedicated Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

This is really interesting, but I guess if was more about just books in general maybe it would be more appealing to everyone. I'm actually not interested of the feminist books much, yet it would be great to give it a try!

She's not seeking fame or likes, she's not a Kardashian haha

She wants to guide people into widening their view on feminism. Now if someone doesn't feel concerned (like you), well, this book club is not for you ;)

She's not here just to make you read, that's not the point of her group. 

Edited by Thessalie, 10 January 2016 - 01:22 PM.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself. 

Desiderata

Max Ehrmann

#10 Álmok

Álmok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationArab World

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:01 PM

She's not seeking fame or likes, she's not a Kardashian haha

She wants to guide people into widening their view on feminism. Now if someone doesn't feel concerned (like you), well, this book club is not for you ;)

She's not here just to make you read, that's not the point of her group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I said she is seeking fame or that I'm against feminism, I just stated my opinion and you all getting defensive. Apparently, you are not even welcoming other opinions who are not agreeing with you and another thing is I studied about feminism and I'm aware of it as I'm English Literature student. You need to accept other opinions and not attacking everyone and going on on thinking they are thinking of something else as you said she is not seeking fame even though I didn't jump to this aspect.

Just for youe information there are other problems you could widen your views about from many literary works such as, Child labor, Marxism, Philosophy and Feminism. Basically, what I meant was to widen people's views on all these problems including feminism. Just relax everyone I'm not stating my opinion to attack anyone or force you to accept it!

Edited by Álmok, 10 January 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#11 Ashley

Ashley

Extreme Poster

• Water
  • 11,079 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

Ashley feminist books mostly talking about women's rights, rights for education and equality. These are the major themes of every book!

Yes that's what I want to learn more about!

#12 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Yes that's what I want to learn more about!

me too

^

Dear, I'm a woman myself and I guess there are other cases could be good to open other people's mind about as well as feminism, but anyway I don't like to discuss this more with you as your attitude is annoying and so defensive! 

thank you!

sw70v4.jpg

#13 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

Feminism is one word: equality. I am disgusted how SOME men think we women are not equals. If you are a believer in the Bible as I am, Adam and Eve were created equally. It is sad that people can't see we are all equal-both men and women and that's what Emma's trying to get across. She believes in equality, hence HeForShe :)
Posted Image

deeply inside credit (HP collection)

#14 Ashley

Ashley

Extreme Poster

• Water
  • 11,079 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

I added the first book to my wish list :) can't buy it until possibly payday 😫

#15 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

dude I didnt even find it on the bookstore's website(the one where I find a lot of books in english in my city) and everywhere else too expensive for one book.

sw70v4.jpg

#16 Ashley

Ashley

Extreme Poster

• Water
  • 11,079 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

Did you try amazon?

#17 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

I demanded the book on the site but ordering from international sites is more expensive, I'd rather wait.

sw70v4.jpg

#18 Ashley

Ashley

Extreme Poster

• Water
  • 11,079 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

Ahh I gotcha

#19 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

I mean you know, I'll be able to pick it up from a barnes and noble soon so, yeah.....by then the book will change but hey will have more stuff to read!

sw70v4.jpg

#20 Ashley

Ashley

Extreme Poster

• Water
  • 11,079 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

True that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users