The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Chamber Of Secrets

The Chamber of Secrets was opened before... fifty years before it did when Harry was at Hogwarts. I don't quite understand, how did it get closed, if noone knew where the Chamber was, how to get into it (apart from Tom Riddle) or kill the Basilisk? I somehow haven't read about this or heard about it in any interviews from Rowling.

Voldermort closed it himself or maybe Dumbledore did. And i'm sure Dumbledore acted like he didnt know about the chamber when Harry asked him... thats what i thot lol.. then again i havent read the books so someone could explained it better

Edited by Slash

Well if Tom Riddle was seventeen (I think he was in his last year, but maybe the book doesn't specify, please correct me if I'm wrong) when he opened the chamber, that would make him 67 when Harry is in his second year and therefore about 55 years older than Harry.

And yeah, as has been said, I think Voldemort closed the chamber again, but I don't recall exactly, it's been a while since I read the books.

I think "opening the chamber of secrets" is used figuratively. I mean the entrance to the chamber is just that sink in the girl's bathroom. It opened for Harry, and when they came back out it closed up again. 50 years earlier I imagine Riddle entered and left a number of times. After Hagrid was expelled, Riddle probably didn't go back so the secret would stay safe. And so, the chamber had been closed for 50 years until it was opened again by Ginny when Riddle's diary told her how.

Well if Tom Riddle was seventeen (I think he was in his last year, but maybe the book doesn't specify, please correct me if I'm wrong) when he opened the chamber, that would make him 67 when Harry is in his second year and therefore about 55 years older than Harry.

And yeah, as has been said, I think Voldemort closed the chamber again, but I don't recall exactly, it's been a while since I read the books.

Yes. Voldemort closed the chamber when he left.

Dook. Yes he did go in and leave the chamber many times. But he closed/lcoked it everytime he left. He had full control over the chamber. He didn't leave it open the whole time. After every use he closed it. As for the movie. It was the same for Ginny, except it was the diary possessing Ginny.

Like everyone else said I'm sure Tom Riddle closed it himself.

What bothers me is how old Voldemort actually is.

This, Hagrid too, I never realized how old Hagrid actually is. CoS takes place in 1992, and 50 years before that would have been 1942, and Hagrid was what, 13 when he got expelled? So that means he was born in 1929.

Edited by lavieenrose

Yes, Hagrid and Tom Riddle/Lord Voldemort are much older than the actors who play them in the movies. Tom Riddle's birthday is December 31st, 1926, if we count back from the information be get from CoS. When he was 16, he wrote into his diary (and I guess that's when he turned it into a Horcrux too). As a descendant of Slytherin and a Parselmouth he was able to open the Chamber which had been built and closed by Slytherin himself. He let the Basilisk loose to get "cleanse" the school of  "Mudbloods". I think he inititally didn't want to kill them but rather scare them away. But when Myrtle got killed, he framed Hagrid's giant spider pet for it and thus got Hagrid expelled. 

Hagrid would've been over sixty when Harry first started at Hogwarts. But I am not too bothered by that. I don't think to much about their ages.

Edited by galadriel12

yeah when they're wizards they live alot longer and age much more slowly cause Dumbledores like over 150 years old i believe?

yes and giants become older than wizards

so maybe Hagrid can live for 250 years ?! :unsure:

• 13 years later...