The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Work Humour

Everyone must have a funny work enviroment, and even if your not allowed to mess about i am sure you do lol.

So please do tell us all your funny moments.

Pranks, funny situations, work collegues up to no good etc.

My professor came by my office last week and asked "is it converging?" and I replied "yes, I just hope it's not asymptotical". Then I thought that would have to sound very strange to anyone not from the field. To us, it meant "are you getting there with your paper?" - "yes, I just hope I'll finish in time".

Great topic, where do I start?

I work with a small group of lads and have done for most of my working life so as you can imagine, quite a lot goes on and there is plenty of banter. One of the good things about where I work is that it is quite a casual atmosphere as long as the work gets done.

I have been on the giving and recieving end of plenty of pranks and I can give as good as I take. At my old place we always used to try and 'tail' each other without getting caught, this involves getting a long piece of tape and sticking it on the bottom of their shirt so it looks like they have a tail - I once walked home with one.

When I was attending college on day release, I came back in the next day to find my boots (which I kept at work) had been filled with small bags of water, and I didn't realise until I had already put my foot it, and had a wet sock for the rest of the day.

One lad, on his 18th birthday (and we asked permission from the boss first) four of us grabbed him and held him down on the table while two others got some tape to wrap around him and really taped him down, the more he struggled the more he got stuck. We drew things on his face with permanent marker, childish but he took it well and we had a laugh about it over a few drinks that night.

More recently we had a new starter, only 17 years old. I asked him to pop across to the DIY shop across the road and fetch some tartan paint and a long weight. He came back 40 minutes later, he had a good long weight wait but sadly, they had no paint. :P

Great topic, where do I start?

I work with a small group of lads and have done for most of my working life so as you can imagine, quite a lot goes on and there is plenty of banter. One of the good things about where I work is that it is quite a casual atmosphere as long as the work gets done.

I have been on the giving and recieving end of plenty of pranks and I can give as good as I take. At my old place we always used to try and 'tail' each other without getting caught, this involves getting a long piece of tape and sticking it on the bottom of their shirt so it looks like they have a tail - I once walked home with one.

When I was attending college on day release, I came back in the next day to find my boots (which I kept at work) had been filled with small bags of water, and I didn't realise until I had already put my foot it, and had a wet sock for the rest of the day.

One lad, on his 18th birthday (and we asked permission from the boss first) four of us grabbed him and held him down on the table while two others got some tape to wrap around him and really taped him down, the more he struggled the more he got stuck. We drew things on his face with permanent marker, childish but he took it well and we had a laugh about it over a few drinks that night.

More recently we had a new starter, only 17 years old. I asked him to pop across to the DIY shop across the road and fetch some tartan paint and a long weight. He came back 40 minutes later, he had a good long weight wait but sadly, they had no paint. :P

That one is my favourite haha, classic.

Haha, these two are my favorite because the mental images crack me up.

I spend half my week working in a supermarket (only a temporary job 'til I return to study at university) and we are always so busy that we do not have time to play pranks on each other. But...

When I got hired, the HR manager gave me the requirements of the job. He stated that I needed to know "CPR". I did one of these: :o and took a look out into the hallway at the CPR poster. He watched my face and followed my eyes, waited a few beats and said, "You know, Coupons, Price Plus (our discount card), and Rainchecks".

The other day, I was organizing and separating items into carts for put backs. There were about three carts in a tiny area and I had to squeeze between a couple front-end runners. Well, I bumped into this front-end runner (who is a guy, my age) a good three times. By the fourth time, the other front-end runner (who is an older woman) said, loudly, "I guess she has the hots for your body." I was slackjawed for a few seconds.

My only response was, "That was so inappropriate." Her reply? "Well, he's a guy, you're a gal. It's only natural." :rollseyes:

When it gets really slow at night, we dial extensions on our register phones to prank other cashiers or people at customer service. Lol. This same guy I talked about, above, once dialed the extension to my register while I was dealing with a customer and breathed into the phone in a very creepy matter, while it was on speakerphone. I did another one of these: :o.

At my other job, I have a manager who is an older woman and is very proper (thus doesn't joke as much). I was talking to her about trying to find pumpkin butter as a gift for a friend of mine for Christmas. I explained that I saw it in the gourmet section of a neighboring store, but that it didn't have any more in stock because they carry "one-of-a-kind" items. She cut in and said, without missing a beat, "You mean, 'weird s%*&'?"

I laughed SO HARD. Would never have expected that [i\] to come out of her mouth.

:D

Thank for starting this thread. Great chuckle. ;)

[quote name='dazza_stoke' timestamp='1291838079' post='24143'

These 2. Back when I was doing GCSE chemistry we used to have these little clamps that were to carry test tubes. We used to clip them to the back of people's blazers. I once ended up going home with one clamped to me, but the record was before one lunchtime when this poor lad walked out of the classroom with with 7 clamped to his blazer. No one told him of course, until he was walking down a corridor and a teacher pointed them out to him, cue immature giggling from the rest of us.

I like the tartan paint one, reminds me of an Inbetweeners episode where Will is doing work experience at a mechanics and is told to get tartan paint, a glass hammer and a spirit level with no bubbles in. Cracks me up.

Just last week when I was at work we have this guy called miles megson who kept getting called out on the tannoy. It's been a running joke in the store for a last few months for managers to get his name wrong, eg 'miles meg' or 'mile megson', which really annoys him. But last Saturday later in the evening I was down my aisle and heard 'staff call, millicent megson to aisle 7 please' and I ended up bursting out laughing, getting strange looks from nearby customers. I went down to aisle 7 to see what was happening and there were 4 colleagues just bent double laughing. Needless to say miles was not happy.

I like the tartan paint one, reminds me of an Inbetweeners episode where Will is doing work experience at a mechanics and is told to get tartan paint, a glass hammer and a spirit level with no bubbles in. Cracks me up.

I remember that episode. It's so true of exactly the sort of thing which goes on in some work places, I remember being 16 and starting work, those sorts of pranks were being played on me all the time, some worked, some didn't, you have to learn quick and now it's me playing the pranks.

Although I have had three different jobs, I have been lucky that I have always worked at a place with a casual atmosphere and a small team where everyone knows each other, maybe it's just because I am used to it but I really don't think I could work in a different environment. Having and a laugh and sharing banter is part of working life and for me it boosts morale, keeps spirits up which all help boost productivity.

Always hiding bags and things is something else which goes on, it's unreal how many places there are to hide things on our place. Turning the light off when someone is on the toilet is another. This happened today... we cut and seal our own bags which we pack our products in, I was cutting some bags and I knew someone was waiting to use it, when I finished they weren't looking so I turned the power off at the mains, it still cuts without power but needs electricity to seal using heat, I waited a good 10 minutes before telling him the power was off and the pile of the bags he just cut hadn't been sealed, his face was priceless... i'm expecting a counter attack anytime soon.

I remember that episode. It's so true of exactly the sort of thing which goes on in some work places, I remember being 16 and starting work, those sorts of pranks were being played on me all the time, some worked, some didn't, you have to learn quick and now it's me playing the pranks.

Although I have had three different jobs, I have been lucky that I have always worked at a place with a casual atmosphere and a small team where everyone knows each other, maybe it's just because I am used to it but I really don't think I could work in a different environment. Having and a laugh and sharing banter is part of working life and for me it boosts morale, keeps spirits up which all help boost productivity.

Always hiding bags and things is something else which goes on, it's unreal how many places there are to hide things on our place. Turning the light off when someone is on the toilet is another. This happened today... we cut and seal our own bags which we pack our products in, I was cutting some bags and I knew someone was waiting to use it, when I finished they weren't looking so I turned the power off at the mains, it still cuts without power but needs electricity to seal using heat, I waited a good 10 minutes before telling him the power was off and the pile of the bags he just cut hadn't been sealed, his face was priceless... i'm expecting a counter attack anytime soon.

Well I work at morrisons and it's not exactly a small team. There must be about 50 employees in at any one time, so it's not very close knit. But the shop is split up into departments and the one I'm on has about 6/7 people on at a time. It all depends on which manager is on- if it's an older one then there's no fun, just work, but a lot of the time I'm managed by lads just a couple of years older than me, so it's just pure banter. I agree that having a laugh should be part of work life, as morale can be pretty low. At least I have consolation that I'm only gonna be there for a couple more months.

I enjoyed reading everyone's stories. I know about the gag about collecting a long wait, hopefully I will be able to trick someone into doing it. As for me, I volunteer at a school. When the students aren't there, the teachers can be seen having chair races down the corridors and paper fights. We also put a rumour out there that the teachers get prizes if they catch students truanting. 10 students = 1 toaster.

I enjoyed reading everyone's stories. I know about the gag about collecting a long wait, hopefully I will be able to trick someone into doing it. As for me, I volunteer at a school. When the students aren't there, the teachers can be seen having chair races down the corridors and paper fights. We also put a rumour out there that the teachers get prizes if they catch students truanting. 10 students = 1 toaster.

WHERE do you do your volunteer work? I would love to see this in action. lol. I am pretty sure my school was not like that when I was attending.

A few years back, I was part of a group of students that worked to dismantle emotional situations/conflicts. As part of our training, we had a two hour mad dash through the corridors trying to look for and follow cryptic clues. This was during the summer, before term started. There were several close calls of accidents and collisions involving other students, desks, mop buckets, and garbage pails. :lol:

As for work humor--no new things to report, except that the same front-end runner mentioned in my previous post dialed the extension to my phone tonight and breathed all heavily into the phone.

I'm waiting for something funnier to happen. -shrug-

This is great.... I don't know if it happens at many schools but the thought of my old teachers having chair races down the corridors is just too hilarious! :lol:

I work at Santa's grotto and we have a great team, to be honest most of the things that happen are pretty much ''you had to be there moments''

We end up lying more then anything, its amazing what you come out with when talking to kids about Santa.

WHERE do you do your volunteer work? I would love to see this in action. lol. I am pretty sure my school was not like that when I was attending.

A few years back, I was part of a group of students that worked to dismantle emotional situations/conflicts. As part of our training, we had a two hour mad dash through the corridors trying to look for and follow cryptic clues. This was during the summer, before term started. There were several close calls of accidents and collisions involving other students, desks, mop buckets, and garbage pails. :lol:

As for work humor--no new things to report, except that the same front-end runner mentioned in my previous post dialed the extension to my phone tonight and breathed all heavily into the phone.

I'm waiting for something funnier to happen. -shrug-

I just work at an average primary school. We don't race as much anymore since they moved after school care into the block. It was good fun, we even divided into teams. The P.E teachers won most of the races because they were young and fit. Sometimes, you'll be surprised at how fast some people can move. There were times where I was like " Whoa, for an old lady, you sure can move!"