The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Is Lady And The Tramp >/</= Lady And The Tramp 2?

For anyone who doesn't know what the title is trying to say, it means [Do you believe that] Lady and the Tramp [is greater than, less than, or equal to] Lady and the Tramp 2?

Here's my opinion:

I thought it was incomparable when compared to the original. For example, in the original, Walt Disney made it a point not to show the faces of the humans to show the movie in "a dog's perspective." In the sequel, they showed the human's faces all the time.

Also, they tried to recreate the "Bella Notte" scene in the sequel which, in my opinion, was nowhere near as perfect when compared to the first:

Lady and the Tramp:

Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure

Both of them are cute in their own way, but I find that the first (Lady and the Tramp) is a scene that will burn in our memories forever. While, the scene in the sequel was memorable, it just didn't capture that same essence like in the first.

To be honest, the only character I do like in the sequel is Angel (the yellow one). In the sequel, Tramp is suddenly solely concerned about how his puppies act in the house. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see him as that type of person (or dog). Another thing I didn't like about the sequel is that Lady barely had any part in it. There were no scenes in the entire movie that were solely hers.

So, after this long rant, what is your take on the second movie when compared to the first?

Also, as a side note, who else finds that the Lady and the Tramp film is highly underrated. I believe it's something that ever person should watch once they are mature enough to understand it. Fortunately, I find myself mature enough to understand its beauty; it brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it.

Here is some more information I just found. It shows how much time and effort was put into the original movie:

Before animating the fight between Tramp and the rat, animator Wolfgang Reitherman kept rats in a cage next to his desk to study their actions.

A model of the inside of Jim Dear and Darling's house was built as a guide for staging.

To maintain a dog's perspective, Darling and Jim Dear's faces are rarely seen.

The background artists made models of the interiors of Jim Dear and Darling's house and shot photos from a deliberately low angle to simulate a dog's eye view of their world.

The decision to film in Cinemascope was made when the film was already in production, so many background paintings had to be extended to fit the new format. Overlays were often added to cover up the seams of the extensions.

CinemaScope presented some new problems for the animators. The wider canvas space made it difficult for a single character to dominate the screen, and groups had to be spread out to keep the screen from appearing too sparse.

The first feature-length animated movie to be made in widescreen (2.55:1). Made simultaneously in both a widescreen CinemaScope version and a standard Academy ratio version. It's also the widest film the company has ever created.

As the release date neared, Walt Disney was dismayed to learn that not all theaters were equipped to show a film in CinemaScope. Consequently, another version of the film had to be made, this time in original aspect ratio.

In order to make the fight between the rat and the Tramp more exciting Wolfgang Reitherman animated from the point of view of the loser and then attempted to avoid that particular outcome.

And the hard work shows:

At the time of its release, this was the highest grossing Disney cartoon since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937).

Sequels by Disney always suck. The end. :doh:

You're right, they all do. And after Walt Disney passed, well, all the animated movies went downhill. Who else could've thought of Dumbo, Snow White, Bambi, etc. That's just my opinion, though.

You're right, they all do. And after Walt Disney passed, well, all the animated movies went downhill. Who else could've thought of Dumbo, Snow White, Bambi, etc. That's just my opinion, though.

So you don't like anything since 1966?

Oh, and Disney didn't think of Dumbo, Snow White or Bambi. He was the producer on all of them, but the movies were all based on other's work, a novel, a fairy tale and short story.

So you don't like anything since 1966?

Well, I guess I should've worded it differently. That was my mistake. I just feel that the earlier films are a little more memorable than recent ones. For example, the Princess and the Frog was nothing to write home about. The Lion King, however, was a very good movie. I guess it just has to do with the time period, though. Back then (during Walt Disney), most people cared about the story line. Now, kids just want to see some dumb fart joke.

Oh, and Disney didn't think of Dumbo, Snow White or Bambi. He was the producer on all of them, but the movies were all based on other's work, a novel, a fairy tale and short story.

Yeah, I forgot about that fact. Lady and the Tramp was the first officially self-penned story since Dumbo. However, everything is based off of something. For example, Lady and the Tramp came about from Ward Greene's article in a newspaper. However, the original storyboard was horrendous, and Walt scrapped the script. A few years later, they took the storyboard out from the filing cabinet and began to write a whole new storyboard for the film.

However, there is a difference between "a port (verb)" and "inspiration"

I didn't really like the second one, should have been left at 2. I have them both, the second is no match for the classic first one.

On anouther note, shouldn't this have been in Disney movies? Like all the other Disney stuff?

There was a second Lady and the Tramp? Wow...if there is any film I could not see how they could make a sequel about it would be that one...so yeah, never saw that one. The first one is one of my old time favorites. Such great memories.

There was a second Lady and the Tramp? Wow...if there is any film I could not see how they could make a sequel about it would be that one...so yeah, never saw that one. The first one is one of my old time favorites. Such great memories.

Yeah, the second one was about Scamp, one of their puppies. At the end of the original film, there were four puppies, three looked like Lady, one looked like Tramp. That "one" is Scamp. It's basically where Scamp is turning into the dog Tramp was, and Tramp doesn't want that. So, Scamp runs away and meets Angel, a "homeless" dog.

All the original characters are in it (Darling, Lady, Jim [Dear], Tramp, Jock, etc), but, of course, not the same voices. If you have the time, I do recommend watching it. But don't expect "Lady and the Tramp."

Definatly do not expect Lady and the Tramp. They are nothing alike! The music is a lot worse in this one too. My mom brought it me on VIDEO! The day it came out here all thos years ago. I'd never been so dissapointed as a child.