The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Foreign Currency

What does your country's money look like?

Here's New Zealand's:

Each note has an important person to New Zealand or a famous NZer, for example the $5 note is Sir Edmund Hillary, first person to ever climb Mt Everest :king: The other sides are our native animals.

I like ours, especially the new coins (10c, 20c, 50c) and the notes are quite colourful in person xD

American money is so boring!!! But I'll post :P

We don't really use the $2 bill anymore, but it is still accepted in currency although they stopped making them. I haven't seen some of the new colors but we definitely have a long way to go in terms of making our bills as cool as the pound, euro and the new zealand dollars!

Our coins:

I'll put the values too:

The penny: .01 cent

The nickel:.05 cents

The dime: .10 cents

The quarter:.25 cents

Israel's Money: Israel New Shekel

I love their paper money... but the coins are a little annoying

10 agorot:

1/2 Shekel, 1 Shekel, 5 Shekel, 10 Shekel

10 Agorot- Menorah and the country's emblem.

1/2 Shekel- Lyre and the state emblem.

1 Shekel- Lily, "Yehud" in ancient Hebrew and the state emblem.

2 Shekel- Two cornucopia and the state emblem.

5 Shekel- Capital of column and the state emblem.

10 Shekel- Palm tree with seven leaves and two baskets with dates, the state emblem, the words "for the redemption of Zion" in ancient and modern Hebrew alphabet.

The back of all of them has the value and date. Most also have Israel written in Hebrew, Arabic, and English on the back.

The newest is the 2 Shekel:

I love how colorful the 20,50,100, and 200 Shekels are!! The 20 is really cool because it is made from this plastic type material that can't be ripped.

(the backs are the same just without the pictures)

The pictures are:

20- Front: Moshe Sharett, the second Prime Minister of Israel.

Back: Jewish volunteers in World War II; a watchtower, commemorating tower and stockade settlements.

50- Front: Shmuel Yosef Agnon, Nobel Prize laureate writer and was one of the central figures of modern Hebrew fiction.

Back: Agnon's notebook, pen and glasses, Jerusalem and the Temple Mount

100-Front: Yitzhak Ben-Zvi, Historian, Labor Zionist leader, the second and longest-serving President of Israel.

Back: Peki'in Synagogue

200-Front: Zalman Shazar, Israeli politician, author and poet. Shazar served as the third President of Israel from 1963 to 1973.

Back: A street in Tzfat and text from Shazar's essay about Tzfat.

The Euro rocks. :P

Pff. :P

We don't really use the $2 bill anymore, but it is still accepted in currency although they stopped making them. I haven't seen some of the new colors but we definitely have a long way to go in terms of making our bills as cool as the pound, euro and the new zealand dollars!

Woah I didn't even know a $2 bill existed. Wish I had one. :P

Edited by I am Not Purple

Woah I didn't even know a $2 bill existed. Wish I had one. :P

They exist but are no longer in circulation. Anyone can still use it as tender but when it reaches a bank, it gets sent back to the treasury to be destroyed.

Little known fact: It costs the US government 1.3 cents to make the 1 cent penny.

IMO the universal currency nowadays in most countries is plastic. You can convert your money in a credit or bank account electronically so they can be accounted for when traveling. I would get tourists in my store from Russia, UK, Brazil, etc using their own card from their country and it still works here.

norwegian kroner

here are the coins-

(at the top, going clockwards)

20 kroner

5 kroner

50 øre (which is 0,50 kroner)

1 krone

10 kroner

and the paper money-

(at the top, going left to right)

200 kroner

50 kroner

100 kroner

500 kroner

1000 kroner

Silly Euro here (in Finland) as well. xD I like the colours and the fact that you don't have to change currency when you visit the other Euro countries (but Sweden of course still has kronor... =P). I'm not sure if I miss the old Finnish Mark but definitely thinking about it feels nostalgic.