The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Random Things Discussion

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

"A new galaxy has taken the title of most distant known, according to scientists from the Subaru and Keck Telescopes.

The galaxy, called SXDF-NB1006-2, lies a whopping 12.91 billion light-years from Earth. Since its light has taken that long to reach us, we are seeing it as it was less than a billion years after the Big Bang created the universe.So SXDF-NB1006-2 was likely among the first galaxies ever made."

Yay, new forumcat picture. It pretty hard to get a picture from her where she looks in the camera...stupid cat, not liking being in the spotlight and stuff :tongue0020:

I love tobacco too much

I've been wanting some from time to time :mellow: It's been like 2 weeks since I quit :0_0: Been doing pretty well though

I love tobacco too much

I've been wanting some from time to time :mellow: It's been like 2 weeks since I quit :0_0: Been doing pretty well though

Congratulations man! Looks like you gotten past the hump. Keep it up!

I don't see myself quitting anytime soon unfortunately.

.... I hate alcohol now -.-

• 3 weeks later...

Right I need some help, you Americans confuzzle me.

What are the ages for your schooling? In NZ we just have Primary (Elementary), Intermediate, College (Highschool) and University (College).

Whereas you guys have:

Elementary

Middle School

Junior and Senior High (Which I'm guessing are both at the same campus or are the samething)

College (Which you also call Uni?)

Can you tell me the ages at what you attend each at? I don't know what ages are in Grades

Right I need some help, you Americans confuzzle me.

What are the ages for your schooling? In NZ we just have Primary (Elementary), Intermediate, College (Highschool) and University (College).

Whereas you guys have:

Elementary

Middle School

Junior and Senior High (Which I'm guessing are both at the same campus or are the samething)

College (Which you also call Uni?)

Can you tell me the ages at what you attend each at? I don't know what ages are in Grades

Lol this is so silly.

Okay first there is preschool which is a little different everywhere. Someplaces have a 2 year old program. But mostly it's.

Nursery

Preschool

Kindergarten

Elementary school:

1st grade

2nd grade

3rd grade

4th grade

5th grade

Middle school: or Junior High

6th grade

7th grade

8th grade

(in some places 6th grade is part of elementary school)

High School:

9th Grade (Freshmen)

10th Grade (Sophmore)

11th Grade (Junior)

12th Grade (Senior)

University and college are basically the same thing. There is a distinction colleges are usuall smaller and sometimes not as good as Universities. But, they serve the same purpose.

University and college are basically the same thing. There is a distinction colleges are usually smaller and sometimes not as good as Universities. But, they serve the same purpose.

Just to add on, universities are generally composed of multiple colleges/schools whereas a college is more of a stand alone entity. For instance UCLA is composed of the college of letters and sciences, school of nursing, school of theater, film, and tv, ect (school being pretty much the equivalent to a college). They are generally much larger given that they have more colleges and in turn a larger student body.

^but not always. I know colleges that have different schools in them. They are just very small.

True but those are generally specialized schools within the college. There's a difference between a college and a school but it's more of just a argument of the term used to describe each. They are for all intents and purposes the same thing really on the collegiate level because schools specialize in a particular field, which is what it all comes down to when you look at the definitions. A general definition of college being "An educational institution or establishment, in particular" and school being "An institution for education" but at the collegiate level a school does specialize in something "particular" within the college itself.

Furthermore a general definition of a university is "An educational institution designed for instruction, examination, or both, of students in many branches of advanced learning, conferring degrees in various faculties, and often embodying colleges and similar institutions." A college will specialize in a subject and a college may offer subsections of that specialization. For instance there could be a college that specializes in law with various schools offered for say family court, civil court, criminal court, ect. A university in comparison will have various colleges possibly with different schools in each college but it has to have colleges with differing specialties like humanities, business, law, ect.

Now we could go even further and argue that some colleges offer various degrees in various subjects and specialize in a various assortment of fields and are still called colleges, but by the truest definition of the word they are really more like universities. Wheneverythingfalls isn't the first person to be confused by the differing terms and some of our forefathers were as well, so the term may have been misapplied to a long standing institution. Of course if you really really really want to go further I could argue the differences of 17th, 18th, and 19th century definitions in regards to our above definition and the titles conferred onto these institutions and make the argument that by their standards (which have changed over time) that the title was correct (for that time period) but I'm sure I've gone on long enough and you don't want to be confused more than you potentially already are.

True but those are generally specialized schools within the college. There's a difference between a college and a school but it's more of just a argument of the term used to describe each. They are for all intents and purposes the same thing really on the collegiate level because schools specialize in a particular field, which is what it all comes down to when you look at the definitions. A general definition of college being "An educational institution or establishment, in particular" and school being "An institution for education" but at the collegiate level a school does specialize in something "particular" within the college itself.

Furthermore a general definition of a university is "An educational institution designed for instruction, examination, or both, of students in many branches of advanced learning, conferring degrees in various faculties, and often embodying colleges and similar institutions." A college will specialize in a subject and a college may offer subsections of that specialization. For instance there could be a college that specializes in law with various schools offered for say family court, civil court, criminal court, ect. A university in comparison will have various colleges possibly with different schools in each college but it has to have colleges with differing specialties like humanities, business, law, ect.

Now we could go even further and argue that some colleges offer various degrees in various subjects and specialize in a various assortment of fields and are still called colleges, but by the truest definition of the word they are really more like universities. Wheneverythingfalls isn't the first person to be confused by the differing terms and some of our forefathers were as well, so the term may have been misapplied to a long standing institution. Of course if you really really really want to go further I could argue the differences of 17th, 18th, and 19th century definitions in regards to our above definition and the titles conferred onto these institutions and make the argument that by their standards (which have changed over time) that the title was correct (for that time period) but I'm sure I've gone on long enough and you don't want to be confused more than you potentially already are.

Thank you professor Dax :P

I hope this all help joe! Lol