• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 GingerCat

GingerCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

Is it just me or does the wand Harry is holding there look like a plank of wood?

Anyway i agree with everyone who says that the Ron/Harry friendship has definitely been understated in the movies and replaced with more Harry/Hermione friendship moments. If you just watched the movies you would be certain that Harry and Hermione are much better friends (and closer) than Harry and Ron will ever be and as we all know this isn't the case.

#42 vida

vida

Dedicated Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:05 AM

I feel sometimes that this is the neglected ship, as we try to defend our canon couple (R/Hr) so much and we tend to forget how important Ron is in Harry's life -and viceversa.
The only time that Harry felt completely defeated was when Ron left. And the only time that Ron felt absolutely miserable is when he saw Voldemort's vision of Harry's 'betrayal'.
Both Harry and Hermione felt miserable when they were apart from Ron, so I guess who they both felt more connected with, is clearly out of the question in the books.
I only wished the filmakers would have kept Harry/Ron's conversation oafter the locket is destroyed. It would have been a nice touch to show the audience who Harry's best friend truly is.

'You love me. Real or not real?'

'Real'.

#43 azileea

azileea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

I feel sometimes that this is the neglected ship, as we try to defend ...

Well said!

#44 trixie

trixie

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

I think Harry and Ron's friendship is one of the many reasons why I love these books so much.
I'm just sad that the movies didn't quite reached their friendship/bromance.
And in FanFiction I loved reading some H/R slash ff. :lostit:
there's nothing I N T E R E S T I N G about being P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

#45 vida

vida

Dedicated Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

I've heard that some FF ship them romantically.
I just would have liked for the movies to capture their friendship a bit more accurately. They've always come so short compared to the books!
A good example is 'The Silver Doe'.
The most profound conversation that book!H/R have ever had and what do the moviemakers do? Slash it.
WHYYYY???

'Real'.

#46 GingerCat

GingerCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:33 AM

I've heard that some FF ship them romantically.
I just would have liked for the movies to capture their friendship a bit more accurately. They've always come so short compared to the books!
A good example is 'The Silver Doe'.
The most profound conversation that book!H/R have ever had and what do the moviemakers do? Slash it.
WHYYYY???

Oddly enough i actually think Harry is more romantically attracted to Ron than he ever would be to Hermione.

#47 trixie

trixie

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

Oddly enough i actually think Harry is more romantically attracted to Ron than he ever would be to Hermione.

hehe I agree.
there's nothing I N T E R E S T I N G about being P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

#48 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts
  • Mood::Content

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

haha, I never seen this topic before. What a cool one it is. xD

#49 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

LOL I agree too. Not to undermine H/Hr's friendship in any way, but in some ways I think the dynamics of Harry and Ron's relationship would work better in a romantic situation.

Vida, I think there's quite a lot of H/R fanfic around. If you're interested, Sam (Eruditewitch from the old forum) has a few on FF.net which are quite good if you don't mind the R rating :P
Posted Image

Katharine. Atheist. Vegetarian. HP Fanatic.
Dumbledore's Woman Through And Through :)

My Fanfiction - Harry Potter and the Broken Pieces

#50 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts
  • Mood::Content

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

haha I thirdly agree. xD

#51 vida

vida

Dedicated Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:39 AM

:yesyes:

I don't think it's odd at all! H/R have fun together, and both are miserable when apart from the other (without getting on each other nerves like H/Hr did).
In an alternative universe, I also think H/R would make much more sense than H/Hr would ever have. :yesyes:

Vida, I think there's quite a lot of H/R fanfic around. If you're interested, Sam (Eruditewitch from the old forum) has a few on FF.net which are quite good if you don't mind the R rating :P

I don't read much FF -although I'm hooked with yours as I already said! :P
And I'd rather stay with R/Hr because I love them too much!
But R/H would make sense too, so I understand why people ship them romantically. :)

Edited by vida, 23 February 2011 - 01:40 AM.

'Real'.

#52 GingerCat

GingerCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

I don't think it's odd at all! H/R have fun together, and both are miserable when apart from the other (without getting on each other nerves like H/Hr did).
In an alternative universe, I also think H/R would make much more sense than H/Hr would ever have. :yesyes:

But R/H would make sense too, so I understand why people ship them romantically. :)

Well i don't see Ron as being gay but i sort of see Harry as being a bit interested in Ron, though Ron is the only guy Harry is interested in as for the most part he is straight (i hope that makes sense).

#53 azileea

azileea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

I think Harry and Ron's friendship is one of the many reasons why I love these books so much.

So true! ♥ I love them. The movies just plain suck on that part.

#54 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

I don't read much FF either any more, and I know what you mean.
I think R/H would probably work better than H/Hr, but at the same time the thought of them together excluding Hermione is really just as bad as H/Hr together excluding Ron.
Posted Image

#55 Luciana

Luciana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Mood::Calm and collected
  • LocationBs. As. Argentina

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Posted Image

Ron was saying the truth!!!!!!! :0_0:

#56 Stan'sMommy

Stan'sMommy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Mood::this and that
  • LocationSouth Cali, Hogwarts, South Park

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:57 AM

^ I wouldn't say Harry was happy suffering in DH... he just did what he had to do and came to terms with his fate.

I wish the movies focused more on Harry and Ron's friendship. It's the most neglected relationship we see from the trio. HBP rocked in the friendship. *sigh* Ahhh well, too late to change things :rolleye:
Call me Rose. ONE week until new South Park episodes!! Can't wait for new Stan!!!
"He's in a sort of different league, Dan. I don't know many 17 or 18 year olds who would have done 'Equus,' and now he's singing and dancing on Broadway. He's dedicated. He takes it very seriously, and he works very hard."- Gary Oldman
Posted Image
Avvie made by me. Sig made by me.
[/color]I ship: Ron/Hermione, Harry/Hermione,Ron/Luna, Harry/Ron, Stan/Cartman, Stan/Kyle,Monica/Chandler, Fry/Leela, Dan/Emma.
EXTREMELY proud supporter of the magnificent Daniel Jacob Radcliffe since 2003. Respect his privacy.
Atheism is not a religion, it's lack of one. I don't believe anyone needs to be 'saved'. We have morals and reasons to live just like Christians do.
I HATE Twilight, its crazy fans and author with a burning passion. It is the biggest cash cow franchise on the planet.

#57 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

Ooh Luciana well spotted!

I agree 'happy' isn't the word I'd choose, but there is an element of truth in Ron's prediction! Maybe Divination isn't so useless after all ;)
Posted Image

#58 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Mood::Happy =)
  • LocationLooking for Loooove in the Room of Requirement! ;)

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:20 AM

I've been horribly negligent in throwing my hat into the ring on this thread topic... perhaps the topic that I'm actually best equipped to discuss and add something of a unique perspective to, being one of two men who post in these shipper forums.

While I will readily admit that JKR could have made a Ron/Harry romance work in a believable way if she chose to do so, by taking the story and their relationship a bit further then she chose to, the fact that she established the bromance (the closeness in the connection between Ron and Harry) in the way that she did is completely believable without either of them having to be being gay.

I feel like I can speak to this because of the closeness of my friendship to my best friend. He is indeed, like another brother to me and I like a brother to him. We've shared times and experiences and confindences with eachother that niether of us have shared with any one else because of the degree of trust and brotherhood that exists between us. I know this is a news flash to you women out there ;) (teasing)... but sometimes we men are afraid to share our feelings with yas. :yesyes: There are times when it's easier to turn to your best guy friend, because there is at the same time the sense for getting a different perspective or opinion, but in a weird way - from the same perspective, simply because he's a guy. I would imagine this kind of connection exists between most women as well. That's not to say that a woman could not understand just as well or give just as good advice to a guy, but on "certain" issues, a guy and girl could give the same exact advice to a man, and it might be more readily accepted coming from the guy, because of that sense of a shared (brotherhood) perspective. The closeness and the bond that is established in that trust is best described through experiencing it.

Ron and Harry have that... and that's one of the aspects of the series that I really love, and to be honest, it's refreshing to see that A. It was written by a women and B. So many women appreciate it too. I feel like the brotherhood connection COULD be easy for a woman to just blow off and disregard, but so many of the women who post here embrace that bond in the Harry Potter series. I just hope they are embracing it for what it is. I feel like a few people may embrace it because they wish to be open minded and support a Gay relationship. Which would be fine if that was what the relationship was... but it wasn't. So I HOPE that when women or men DO embrace it... they embrace it for the fact that it is an eduring and adamantine bond between two men who love eachother as brothers.

In re-reading the HP series, I'm actually right at the point in DH where Ron and Harry have their pivitol, private guy to guy discussion, which actually takes place after the Silver Doe Chapter in the Xenophelious Lovegood Chapter of Deathly Hallows. I'm so looking forward to reading this part of the book again and revelling in the friendship that makes this series so wonderful. :king: :3m_sie:
Posted Image

Beautiful Emma Watson St. Patrick's Day signature graphic and icon by BoMa
special thank you to BoMa for her talent and her time and to Mr. and Mrs. Watson for having such a photogenic young lady. =p

MY E-FAMILY: e-married to Mrs. Pumpkinhead <3; e-niece: Kim and Kimberley (Kim Twins); e-grandkids: BoMa, Ardi, favorite e-grandchild: Arie<3; e-greatgrandchildren: Will =O, Sarah, Lindy; EX-e-nurse: Carlyn; e-son: Andrew e-daughter: Tara e-soninlaw: Chris e-bestie: Tom jsjs (don't tell Lolly)>.<

#59 azileea

azileea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Oh wow, thanks for the manly input (=P), casualobserver! ♥ I agree with so much that I could quote your entire response.

So I HOPE that when women or men DO embrace it... they embrace it for the fact that it is an eduring and adamantine bond between two men who love eachother as brothers.

That's the exact reason why I love Harry & Ron so much. Because of their strong friendship as brothers. That's why I rarely use the phrase 'bromance' because it may sound like you are referring to them romantically.

Now I, too, want to re-read the series so bad. ^^

#60 Dumbledores Woman

Dumbledores Woman

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

The relationship between the trio is probably one of my favourite things about the series, and Harry and Ron's friendship is an integral part of that. I love the message he books (and movies, for that matter) give out about friendship and Harry being unable to survive his quest without it. Iit's such a valuable lesson taught in a way that is not preachy, but rather allows us to see and appreciate the true value of friendship.

Merlin's pants, I sound like the voiceover to some lame movie :P
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users